The Marshall Tucker Band, Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn, The Gibson Brothers, North Mississippi Allstars, Del McCoury, Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis, and Hot Rize are among the acts slated to play MerleFest 2015. Robert Deaton, executive producer of the CMA Awards, promises that tomorrow’s show will include a “surprise guest in one of our […]
Blake Shelton Debuts Atop Billboard 200; Stevie Ray Vaughan on Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Ballot; Nathan Stanley Wins Dove Award
Loretta Lynn shares the story of her first Opry appearance in this Tennessean video. (warning: autoplay) The Tennessean also assembled a photo gallery of Lynn in the 1960s. Paste’s Jon Waterhouse put together “The Music Geek’s Travel Guide to Memphis.” The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Bill Withers are on the 2015 […]
IBMA Award Winners Announced; Underwood, Zac Brown Band to Perform at Veteran’s Day Concert in DC; Vince Gill on Ice
The winners of yesterday’s IBMA Awards (click through for the Momentum Awards and Special Awards winners, which were announced prior to last night’s awards show): Hall of Fame Inductees: The Seldom Scene, Neil Rosenberg Entertainer of the Year: Balsam Range Instrumental Group of the Year: Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Vocal Group of the Year: Balsam […]
“Most commercial country singers don’t make records like this,” says Lee Ann Womack of her new, stone-cold country album, The Way I’m Livin’ (out September 23), her first solo project since 2008, and, after spending a decade on MCA Nashville, her first release for Sugar Hill Records. Produced by husband Frank Liddell, The Way I’m […]
Rounder Signs Shelby Lynne; Ronnie Fauss, Over the Rhine Announce New Albums; Jean Redpath Passes Away
Rounder Records has signed Shelby Lynne. The label will release a 15th anniversary edition of I Am Shelby Lynne (with bonus tracks and a concert DVD) on October 7. Yesterday, USA Today premiered a clip from that concert film. Lynne also recently completed a new album that is tentatively set for a release in early […]
Compass Records to Release Jean Ritchie Tribute; Alan Jackson, Kenny Rogers HoF Exhibits to Open in August; Ralph Stanley Elected to American Academy of Arts & Sciences
Ralph Stanley, Al Pacino, Annie Proulx, Robert Reich, and Robert Ballard: the world’s most interesting dinner party or a few of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences’ newly elected fellows? (It’s the latter. Stanley, Pacino, et al. will be officially inducted into the Academy on October 11.) “Alan Jackson: 25 Years of Keepin’ it […]
Soul singer Bobby Womack passed away on Friday. He was 70 years old. On October 28, Jerry Lee Lewis will release Rock & Roll Time. Here’s the title track. The biography Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story, penned by Pulitzer-winning writer Rick Bragg, will be released on the same date. Developer Tim Reynolds, whose company may buy the building […]
You will never be as cool as Del McCoury high-fiving people from a motorcycle sidecar at a festival he named after himself. The 615’s Rich Appel reports that, “The ink has barely dried on the deal between Cumulus Media and Big Machine Label Group creating a new country music record label (Nash Icons) and live […]
Radney Foster’s Next Record Due in May; Watch How to Write a Banjo Concerto Trailer; New Album Releases
A third person died from injuries sustained in last week’s SXSW tragedy. Radney Foster will release Everything I Should Have Said on his own Devil’s River label May 13. (via press release) Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison announced a bunch of tour dates; according to a post on Willis’ Facebook page, the duo is gearing […]
Last night’s Grammy Awards results: Best Country Album: Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park Best Country Song: Kacey Musgraves – “Merry Go Round” (Musgraves/Shane McAnally/Josh Osborne) Best Country Solo Performance: Darius Rucker – “Wagon Wheel” Best Country Duo/Group Performance: The Civil Wars – “From This Valley” Best Blues Album: Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...