When Merle Haggard plays at Buck Owens’ Crystal Palace tonight and tomorrow, it’ll be his first performances since undergoing surgery for lung cancer. He says it’ll also be the first time in his life in which he hasn’t loosened up with tobacco or marijuana. We’re only two days into the new year and Los Angeles […]
Just in time for the holidays, Joey+Rory created a “Sleighbell Mix” of their song “Cheater Cheater” and posted it on MySpace. Unfortunately, they removed the hip hop inspired “King Mix” before I had a chance to listen to it, but based on forum response, I didn’t miss much. The Austin Chronicle‘s Doug Freeman says honky-tonk […]
A recording studio built by Buck Owens that once served as his headquarters is shutting its doors. Rick Davis bought the legendary Oildale studio from Owens in 1992. The two police officers accused of holding a gun to the back of Steve Holy’s head were indicted this past Monday on one count of aggravated assault […]
Back in April I did a short review of David Serby’s second album, Another Sleepless Night. Since then he’s been busy promoting his album and playing live shows, one of which was the first ever Stagecoach Festival in California. I got in touch with David to see how things were going and ask if he’d […]
Reba McEntire Duet Album Scheduled For Later This Year And Discussion Continued On Jackson Vs. The Opry
Brad Paisley’s 5th Gear is set to be released on June 19, but according to Country Standard Time, he hasn’t finished recording the album yet. I don’t know if this is some kind of story cautioning fans that it might be delayed, or if it’s simply a means to keep Paisley’s name fresh in people’s […]
It was a coincidence that the first time I heard David Serby was after I finished listening to a Dwight Yoakam mixed CD that my aunt put together for me. Serby doesn’t particularly sound or sing like Yoakam, but the Bakersfield influence permeates throught the tracks on Another Sleepless Night. Serby posesses a notably distinctive […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."