Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of The Ramones, passed away on July 11. In recent years, Ramone played in roots duo Uncle Monk. Warner Brothers has re-signed Dwight Yoakam, who’ll release a new album later in the year (one of the songs will be a cover of “Who’ll Stop the Rain”). He’s currently […]
Willie Watson to Release Solo Album; All for the Hall Nets $100K; New West/Normaltown Offer NoiseTrade Sampler
Sean Potts, one of the founding members of The Chieftains, passed away last month. He was 83. Willie Watson will release his solo debut, Folk Singer, Vol. 1, May 6. The record, which includes versions of songs like “Stewball” and “James Alley Blues,” was produced by David Rawlings. (via press release) Here’s a neat article […]
Ray Price Passes Away; Linda Ronstadt Voted Into Rock HOF; Benmont Tench Solo Record Due in February
Ray Price passed away yesterday afternoon. David Cantwell wrote a lovely Price obituary for this site, and here are others penned by Peter Cooper (Tennessean), Bill Friskics-Warren (NYT), Patrick Doyle (Rolling Stone) and Chuck Dauphin (Billboard). You are a person of good taste, as evidenced by your choice in websites. But perhaps you know someone who […]
Prine Diagnosed with Lung Cancer; Ralph and Nathan Stanley Plan Gospel Release; Nicki Bluhm Plays Conan
John Prine was diagnosed with lung cancer. Doctors caught it early and Prine will undergo surgery next month (his mid-December shows in Louisville have been postponed). Ronnie Dunn’s got a new video for “Kiss You There.” The Infamous Stringdusters have a new video too. Here’s “Night on the River.” Ronnie Fauss released a video for […]
HOF Inductees Announced; Buzz Around “Accidental Racist” Continues; Punch Brothers Documentarian Launches Kickstarter Campaign
The new Hall of Fame inductees were announced this morning: Kenny Rogers (Modern Era), Bobby Bare (Veterans Era), and Cowboy Jack Clement (Non-Performer category). The DelFest daily schedule was announced. On May 10, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will unveil a spotlight exhibit dedicated to Lee Greenwood. Lee Greenwood: American Patriot will run through April 25, […]
Rabbits: cute, disapproving, and delicious. No wonder they’re featured in so many country and roots songs, including Bob Wills’ “The Bunny with the Powder Puff Tail,” The New Lost City Ramblers’ “Rabbit Chase,” and Lloyd Green’s “Funny Bunny.” So perk up those ears and listen to five more bunny tunes. 5. Bill Carlisle – “Dumb […]
Levon Helm in Final Stages of Cancer Battle; Pistol Annies Celebrate Record Store Day with Vinyl; Stream New Waco Brothers & Paul Burch Album
Sad news was posted on Levon Helm’s website by his wife and daughter yesterday afternoon: Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his […]
Trisha Yearwood Films Cooking Show; Patterson Hood Protests Athens, Georgia Walmart; Bearfoot Brings Bluegrass to Schools
Trisha Yearwood has begun filming a cooking show for the Food Network. The show, slated to premiere in April, will also feature some of her new music. The Country Music Hall of Fame set an attendance record with over 507,000 visitors in 2011. That’s nearly a 30% jump over 2010. Here’s the trailer for the […]
Free Music from Lori McKenna, Punch Bros. and the Del McCoury Band; New Justin Townes Earle Album; The Story Behind “Rudolph”
Lori McKenna’s giving away a Christmas song. Del McCoury’s got some free music for you too, with “Moneyland” from the 2008 album of the same name. Download “Movement and Location” from the Punch Brothers’ upcoming album Who’s Feeling Young Now, due out February 14. Justin Townes Earle’s fourth full-length record, Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way […]
George Jones headlined a recent Tammy Wynette memorial fundraiser. Jason Aldean took home six Telecasters at last night’s American Country Awards. Catch up on our live blog here and the list of winners here. Bassist Shonna Tucker has left The Drive-By Truckers. David Barbe will play bass for DBT at upcoming shows. Here’s an excerpt […]
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.