HOF Inductees Announced; Buzz Around “Accidental Racist” Continues; Punch Brothers Documentarian Launches Kickstarter Campaign
The new Hall of Fame inductees were announced this morning: Kenny Rogers (Modern Era), Bobby Bare (Veterans Era), and Cowboy Jack Clement (Non-Performer category). The DelFest daily schedule was announced. On May 10, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will unveil a spotlight exhibit dedicated to Lee Greenwood. Lee Greenwood: American Patriot will run through April 25, [...]
Rabbits: cute, disapproving, and delicious. No wonder they’re featured in so many country and roots songs, including Bob Wills’ “The Bunny with the Powder Puff Tail,” The New Lost City Ramblers’ “Rabbit Chase,” and Lloyd Green’s “Funny Bunny.” So perk up those ears and listen to five more bunny tunes. 5. Bill Carlisle – “Dumb [...]
Levon Helm in Final Stages of Cancer Battle; Pistol Annies Celebrate Record Store Day with Vinyl; Stream New Waco Brothers & Paul Burch Album
Sad news was posted on Levon Helm’s website by his wife and daughter yesterday afternoon: Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his [...]
Trisha Yearwood Films Cooking Show; Patterson Hood Protests Athens, Georgia Walmart; Bearfoot Brings Bluegrass to Schools
Trisha Yearwood has begun filming a cooking show for the Food Network. The show, slated to premiere in April, will also feature some of her new music. The Country Music Hall of Fame set an attendance record with over 507,000 visitors in 2011. That’s nearly a 30% jump over 2010. Here’s the trailer for the [...]
Free Music from Lori McKenna, Punch Bros. and the Del McCoury Band; New Justin Townes Earle Album; The Story Behind “Rudolph”
Lori McKenna’s giving away a Christmas song. Del McCoury’s got some free music for you too, with “Moneyland” from the 2008 album of the same name. Download “Movement and Location” from the Punch Brothers’ upcoming album Who’s Feeling Young Now, due out February 14. Justin Townes Earle’s fourth full-length record, Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way [...]
George Jones headlined a recent Tammy Wynette memorial fundraiser. Jason Aldean took home six Telecasters at last night’s American Country Awards. Catch up on our live blog here and the list of winners here. Bassist Shonna Tucker has left The Drive-By Truckers. David Barbe will play bass for DBT at upcoming shows. Here’s an excerpt [...]
Music journalist Patsi Bale Cox passed away at the age of 66. She was credited with books on Loretta Lynn, Wynonna Judd, Ralph Emery, George Jones and more. A benefit concert being held by George Jones will fund the construction of a memorial in honor of country music star Tammy Wynette in Mississippi. It will [...]
Kenny Chesney and Grace Potter to Perform at CMA Awards; Audie Blaylock & Redline Will Perform Free Show; New Song From Gretchen Peters and Rodney Crowell
Gillian Welch and David Rawlings stopped by Good Day L.A. to play a couple songs. Scotty McCreery debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard Top 200 and Top Country Albums charts with Clear As Day, making him the youngest male in history to open at the top of the all-genre chart with a debut release. [...]
Bobby Braddock Will Be Honored As Songwriting Icon; Hank Jr. Pulled From Yesterday’s Monday Night Football; New Album Releases
Our long national nightmare is over: Taylor Swift and Kanye West are now on high-fiving terms. Hank Williams, Jr. made a Hitler analogy and ESPN subsequently pulled his theme song before yesterday’s Monday Night Football broadcast. Williams then released a statement saying he was misunderstood. UPDATE: Hank III spoke with TMZ, saying most musicians should [...]
Opry member Billy Grammer passed away yesterday. The Civil Wars, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, and Wye Oak make Paste‘s Top 20 current guy/gal musical pairings. Songwriting ace Darrell Scott’s new album Long Ride Home is coming out on October 11. Legendary session musician Hargus “Pig” Robbins appears on the album, as do Tim O’Brien, [...]
- Luckyoldsun: Sounds good. Is she--or her husband--related to Dallas? (I'll assume not to Joe.)
- Luckyoldsun: R-- Sounds like you're expanding your palate. "60′s style California hippie vibe" sounds like something you'd have banned from your playlist.
- Rick: I like the production, the excellent guitar picking, and Rebecca has a nice voice with individuality, but the song structure ...
- Rick: That Buddy Emmons tribute album sounds kinda interesting. I just might have to give it a listen when it's available. Congratulations ...
- Jon: Jack Bernhardt is the bomb.
- Bruce: Good article on Rucker. I do not care for all his songs and he is far from my favorite. I ...
- Kelly D.: Dig the Whiskey Sisters and the write-up from ol' Jim C.
- Bruce: "Why do people talk about the authenticity and/or genuineness of others with whom they’ve had no direct, normal social interaction ...
- Luckyoldsun: Hank III says "Old Junior once said it best,"--Is that some sort of rapprochement in the Williams family soap opera? It's ...
- Joan Harrison: Hi, My husband and I really enjoy watching your show each week. You had a recipe on for pork ...