There’s a new marker honoring Jimmie Rodgers in Asheville, North Carolina. Kellie Pickler’s next album, The Woman I Am, comes out November 12. (via press release) Don Schlitz, The Mavericks, and Lady Antebellum have been added to the lineup for tomorrow’s ACM Honors. Jens Kruger won the 2013 Steve Martin Prize for Excellence in Banjo […]
T-Model Ford Passes Away; David Nail, Westbound Rangers Release New Videos; What’s Up with Gibson Banjos?
T-Model Ford passed away yesterday. The influential bluesman was in his 90s and had been battling health issues for several years after suffering a series of strokes in 2010. Listen to a KEXP session Ford recorded in 2008. Emmylou Harris’ “Boulder to Birmingham” and Charlie Louvin’s “Ira” made The A.V. Club’s list of “songs that directly […]
Bobby Bland passed away in Memphis yesterday at the age of 83. In The New York Times obituary, Bill Friskics-Warren writes, “Exhibiting a delicacy of phrasing and command of dynamics akin to those of the most urbane pop and jazz crooners, his intimate pleading left its mark on everyone from the soul singers Otis Redding […]
Lorene Mann passed away on May 24 at the age of 76. Mann was a co-founder of the Nashville Songwriters Association International; she also wrote “Left to Right,” “My Wife’s House,” and other hits. Marshall Lytle, bassist for Bill Haley & His Comets, passed away on Saturday at the age of 79. The SteelDrivers played Mountain […]
UNC to Celebrate Alan Lomax; Bonnaroo Lineup Announced; Stream New Edie Brickell & Steve Martin Song
People reports that Mindy McCready was prepared to release a suicide-prevention PSA featuring “I’ll See You Yesterday,” a song that was “intended for her next album.” Following her death, her friend and the video’s director, Dan Hanks, posted it on YouTube. Listen to “When You Get to Asheville,” a cut from Steve Martin and Edie […]
2013 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Dates Unveiled; Natalie Maines to Release Solo Record; New Music Videos
Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks will release a new album called Mother on May 7. The album is produced by Ben Harper. Andy Griggs and Bobby Pinson have written a song, called “20 Little Angels,” about the victims of the Newtown shooting tragedy. 100% of the proceeds from the sales of the song, including iTunes […]
Dean Brody Wins CCMA Album of the Year Award; Stream New Patterson Hood, Black Prairie Albums; New Music Videos
Dean Brody won Album of the Year and Male Artist of the Year at the Canadian Country Music Awards. Rollin “Oscar” Sullivan of Opry duo Lonzo & Oscar passed away at the age of 93. Debbie Piece, daughter of Webb Pierce and member of the group Chantilly, passed away on September 5 at the age […]
David Nail Announces Fall Tour; Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out to Perform Anthem at SEC Opener; Railroad Revival Tour Adds New Orleans Date
A mystery fan shelled out $138,000 for a date with Dolly Parton. Proceeds go to the nonprofit Dr. Robert F. Thomas Foundation. Take a sneak peek of the Patsy Cline Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum exhibit before it opens next week. David Nail announced dates for a fall club tour. Watch the teaser […]
There were a lot of disappointed and angry country music fans in Northern California yesterday when the three-day Jukebox Music Festival was abruptly shut down by the promoter on the final day. From Alan Jackson’s Facebook page: Following early morning e-mails from the promoter of the Jukebox Music Festival, Alan Jackson will not be performing […]
This year’s nominees for induction into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame include Gretchen Peters, Tony Arata, Robert Byrne, and Beth Nielsen Chapman. Read the entire list of nominees here. David Nail will release a three song EP called 1979 on July 17. It will include his cover of Adele’s “Someone Like You.” WAMU’s Bluegrass […]
- Leeann Ward: I'll just go ahead and say it. I was impressed with how well Carrie did with the singing. I'm a …
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.