Capitol to Reissue Okie From Muskogee; Country Music Photo Exhibit Coming to L.A.; Ralph Peer Biography Due in November
Capitol Records will re-release Merle Haggard’s 1969 album Okie from Muskogee on March 25. The remastered, two-CD set will include out-of-print live album The Fightin’ Side of Me (1970), which was recorded in Philadelphia. (via press release) The Whites celebrated 30 years as Opry members. Qello is like Netflix, but solely focused on concert films and […]
Ralph Stanley Turns 87; Reba, Loretta, and Bobby Bare to Play Johnny Cash Music Fest; New Album Releases
Ralph Stanley (who turns 87 today) celebrated his birthday with a concert last Saturday. Singer Penny DeHaven passed away on Sunday. She was 65. Bluegrass Today reports that Craig Wood, who was arrested for abducting and murdering 10-year old Hailey Owens, was part of the Springfield, Missouri bluegrass scene. Local music store The Acoustic Shoppe is raising funds […]
If When We Fall is not the best bluegrass album of 2013, then it’s easily among the top five albums of the year. With her emotional, powerful vocals, Rebecca Frazier—known for her work in the award-winning bluegrass band, Hit & Run—stands in the ranks of Alison Krauss and Rhonda Vincent; her compelling lyrics transport us […]
One of the most respected songwriters in Nashville, Jim Lauderdale, is busy these days. The weekly host of popular Music City Roots at the Loveless Barn in Nashville, longtime Wednesday afternoon guest host on WSM radio, host with Buddy Miller—with whom he’s just released a new album—of the Buddy and Jim Radio Show on Sirius […]
Two Pete Seeger Albums Due in Sept.; Brad and Carrie to Host the CMA Awards Again; Seth Avett Remembers Doc Watson
Coming out September 25: Pete Seeger albums A More Perfect Union and Pete Remembers Woody. The former is full of new material written with Lorre Wyatt and features guests like Emmylou Harris and Bruce Springsteen. The latter is a two-disc set celebrating Woody Guthrie with songs and anecdotes. Ben Foster did a fine interview with […]
Prohibition ended over 70 years ago, but moonshine songs have still enjoyed a fair amount of popularity in the past decades. Narrowing it down to only 26 songs was difficult, and this month’s Top Five was pretty hotly contested here at The 9513 compound. Nevertheless, we did our best to bring you songs from a […]
Charley Pride will join Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss and Union Station at the White House today to perform as part of an educational workshop about Country music. The event will be streamed live on the internet starting at 6:25 PM/CT. Ken Tucker recently conducted an interview with Scott Borchetta which landed in the pages […]
Christie’s announced yesterday that a poem written by Bob Dylan when he was 16 would be up for auction, however a reader alerted Reuters that the lyrics matched “Little Buddy,” a song previously recorded by Hank Snow. Christie’s response: “This still remains among the earliest known handwritten lyrics of Bob Dylan and Christie’s is pleased […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."