Ken Morton delivered the first installment of ghostly country songs last week. Today, we add a few more to the list. 5. David Ball – “Riding with Private Malone” Who needs airbags when your classic Corvette comes with a ghost who’ll save your life after a wreck? 4. Chelle Rose – “Browder Holler Boy” […]
The American Music Awards were held last night. Luke Bryan, Lady Antebellum, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Swift took home trophies. Now that his Vegas run is over, Garth Brooks is planning a 2014 world tour. Paper Angels, the book co-written by Jimmy Wayne about the Salvation Army’s Angel Tree Project, is going to be made into a […]
Todd Snider Keeps It Fresh; Carolina Chocolate Drops Lineup Changes; Jim Lauderdale Acoustic Session
Todd Snider on keeping his setlist fresh: So, when I get to a show, in the dressing room sitting right in front of me next to my free wine is the last three setlists from the time I was in, say, Atlanta. So, first I’ll look and see, “Well, what did I do last time?” […]
Craig Shelburne recapped Buddy Miller‘s artist-in-residence gig at the Country Music Hall of Fame on Tuesday, which featured special guests Tom T. Hall, Emmylou Harris, and the McCrary Sisters. With the song’s composer sitting in the front row, just a few steps away, Miller nervously introduced Tom T. Hall’s “That’s How I Got to Memphis.” […]
Remember that tour The 9513 sponsored last year that featured the stories and songs of Drew Kennedy and Rodney Hayden? New American Voices, it was called. It was such a positive experience that we’ve all decided to do it again, and this time Drew and Rodney are taking their music to mostly new areas further […]
Of all the performers at the ACM Awards in Las Vegas, Miranda Lambert saw the biggest post-awards sales increase at 105 percent for Revolution. To make it easier to follow recent flood news in Nashville we’ve added a widget at the top of the screen where we’ll continue to post new links. Some of the […]
New releases for the week of April 20, 2010 include: Bob Cheevers – Tall Texas Tales Amazon | MySpace Colt Ford – Chicken & Biscuits Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Dailey & Vincent – Singing From the Heart Amazon | iTunes | MySpace David Ball – Sparkle City Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Donna Ulisse […]
George Strait Sets Record; Hank Williams Receives Posthumous Pulitzer Award; New Dixie Chicks Compilation
With “I Gotta Get to You” reaching No. 9 on Billboard‘s top country songs chart George Strait set a new record; he became the first act to hit the top 10 on any Billboard chart for 30 straight years. If it weren’t for an improperly placed drainfield that disrupted the sale of David Ball‘s Nashville […]
Songwriters: Ashley Gorley and Brian Simpson Flipping through Sammy Kershaw’s extensive song catalog is deliciously indulgent: From “Cadillac Style” and “Vidalia” to “National Working Woman’s Holiday” and “Queen of My Double Wide Trailer,” the singer had a special knack for taking a country song–no matter how silly its premise–and turning it into a nineties country […]
David Ball is such an effortless singer that he’s easy to take for granted, even for hard-core country fans like myself. In fact, he’d slipped my mind for quite some time. Great singers like Ball hardly get played on country radio anymore, but that‘s no testament to his talent. His last smash, 2001’s “Riding with […]
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …