George Riddle Passes Away; Shel Silverstein Biopic in Development; Swift, Church to Play iHeartRadio Fest
George Riddle, one of George Jones’ Jones Boys and the writer of songs like “Hall of Shame,” passed away. He was 78 years old. Robert K. Oermann wrote an obituary for Riddle that’s published at MusicRow.com. Variety reports that there’s a Shel Silverstein biopic in the works. The film, currently under development by Wonderland Sound […]
Country Stars Revisit the Bristol Sessions; Pokey LaFarge Announces Tour; HoF & Music City Roots to Celebrate Night Train to Nashville Anniversary
Justin Townes Earle will release Single Mothers on Vagrant Records September 9. (via press release) Hot Rize has a new album and fall tour in the works. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Music City Roots are teaming up for a concert (scheduled for July 30) celebrating the tenth anniversary of Night Train to […]
Psychedelia and theoretical philosophy and metaphysics, oh my. Early buzz around Sturgill Simpson’s sophomore release Metamodern Sounds in Country Music threw up a red flag or two for many fans of the Kentucky singer-songwriter. His June 2013 debut disc High Top Mountain was a modern traditionalist’s dream, spinning together enough pedal steel, coal mine memories and mainstream country cynicism […]
Bobby Osborne Launches Video Series; Valerie June to Make Austin City Limits Debut; New Album Releases
Watch the first two installments of Bobby Osborne’s “Road to the Opry” video series. 2014 marks Osborne’s 50th year as an Opry member. Time to vote for this year’s Lone Star Music Awards. Mary Chapin Carpenter played a couple shows with The New York Philharmonic. Here’s Jon Pareles’ (New York Times) take on one of […]
Trisha, Martina Cancel SeaWorld Performances; Steve Earle to Host Songwriting Camp; New Music Videos
Yesterday afternoon, Ray Price’s son, Cliff, posted to Facebook that his father had passed. However, Ray’s wife, Janie, refuted that statement, posting that while her husband was faltering, he was still alive. The Texas Music Scene with Ray Benson did a nice little video profile of Price. John Mellencamp has written 85 songs to choose from for his next project and […]
“There will be angels; there will be devils / I will be in between,” sings Lindi Ortega on “I Want You.” That lyric can easily be applied to the Canadian singer-songwriter’s soprano, which can veer from a Dolly Parton lilt to a fierce rockabilly shout in the space of a breath, a skill that’s enabled […]
Siblings may not always get along, but they sure can harmonize, and when they’ve gotten together to sing, the results have often been magical. Country music has had its fair share of sibling acts–The Carter Family, The Louvins, and The Everly Brothers, to name a few–and the newest addition is The Secret Sisters. Laura and […]
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …