Carrie Underwood to Sing Sunday Night Football Theme; Stream New McKenna, Bhiman Albums; Who is the Greatest Living Country Singer?
Carrie Underwood is replacing Faith Hill on Sunday Night Football. Elizabeth Cook and Todd Snider are on the cover of The East Nashvillian. You can download the entire issue here. John Murph of The Atlantic posted a transcript of his interesting conversation with Wulf Muller and Chuck Mitchell about the revamped OKeh Records label. Hellbound [...]
ACM Awards Presenters Announced; David Cantwell’s Merle Haggard Book Due This Fall; Shemekia Copeland to Headline Chicago Blues Festival
Reba, Keith Urban, Jake Owen, and Miranda Lambert are a few of the folks scheduled to present at the ACM Awards on Sunday night. Coming out in September: David Cantwell’s Merle Haggard: The Running Kind. Check out Rodney Hayden’s cover of “I’m No Stranger to the Rain.” Scott Lucas is back on the road with [...]
It’s fitting that the cover of Willis and Robison’s new album depicts the vagaries of love as a pinball game. For a small investment—a dance, a bottle of beer or glass of whiskey—lovers flirt with the chance of getting lucky, hurtling toward a night of love and maybe the bonus of discovering they’re made for [...]
It’s a sweltering August day, and Rosie Flores has just hauled 60 boxes of LPs and CDs to the post office. Despite the heat and exertion, the 61-year old sounds bubbly as a teen as she enthuses, “Today is a celebration. My living room no longer looks like a shipping room!” The boxes are going [...]
Doug Dillard Passes Away; Taylor Swift Donates $4 Million to Hall of Fame; Yep Roc Plans 15th Anniversary Bash
Banjo genius Doug Dillard passed away. He was 75. Taylor Swift came in at #11 on Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 most powerful celebrities. She’s in between Steven Spielberg and Tiger Woods. In other Swift news, she donated $4 million to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum to fund an education center, [...]
Mark Collie Unveils Brushy Mountain Prison Project; Stream Sara Watkins’ Sun Midnight Sun; New Music Videos
Stream Sara Watkins’ new album, Sun Midnight Sun, before its May 8 release date. Peter Cooper wrote about Mark Collie’s “prison project,” Alive at Brushy Mountain, which is finally getting released after ten years. Carrie Underwood was on NPR’s All Things Considered. Underwood is also the subject of a lengthy Tennessean feature penned by Cindy [...]
New Marty Stuart Album Due April 24; DelFest Lineup Announced; Keith Urban Sets San Antonio Rodeo Attendance Record
On March 27, reissue label Real Gone Music will release B.J. Thomas’ The Complete Scepter Singles. Coming out on the same date is Rawhide’s Clint Eastwood Sings Cowboy Favorites. Out March 6: Luke Bryan’s Spring Break 4 EP. Marty Stuart’s Tear the Woodpile Down is due out April 24. Bluegrass Today has a video of [...]
Taylor Swift Named Billboard Woman of the Year; Punch Brothers to Open for Paul Simon; Kasey Chambers Nabs ARIA Award Nominations
Coming on December 1 from Texas A&M University Press: I’ll Be Here in the Morning: The Songwriting Legacy of Townes Van Zandt, by Brian T. Atkinson. Barry Mazor was quoted in the press release: “Commendably, I’ll Be Here in the Morning celebrates the artful song maker and intellect Van Zandt was at his best and [...]
I’m no biblical scholar, but I’m vaguely familiar with the Old Testament figure of Jezebel. You know, Ahab’s wife–the painted Baal-worshiper who was defenestrated and eaten by dogs. (There’s a New Testament Jezebel too, but we’ll ignore her.) Over the years, poor Jezebel has become cultural shorthand for “manipulative skank.” This week we’ll be looking [...]
- SCOOTER: Sturgill Simpson - fantastic artist Ashton Shepherd - I know she was recently dropped and a lot of people complain ...
- Daniel Mullins: Lee Ann Womack is a must. I would also sign Wyatt McCubbin. He was featured on The Music Inside: A Tribute ...
- Ken Morton, Jr.: BTW- Julie's been in the recording studio all this past week and will be unveiling something new soon.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jonathan, I actually had this exact conversation with Julie Roberts a couple weeks ago. She came out with Emily West, ...
- Jack Williams: The first name that came to my mind was electic bluesman Alvin Youngblood Hart. He hasn't released a proper ...
- bob: There was a survey by cmt.com dated 3/31/10 which showed more than 175 country act signed to major labels. I ...
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I would sign: 1) Trisha Yearwood - I don't believe she's affiliated with Big Machine Records anymore and a new CD ...
- Juli Thanki: Oh, good thinking with Hellbound Glory, Mike. Their music matured so much between Old Highs & New Lows and Damaged ...
- Mike Wimmer: 1. Jamey Johnson-I know he is technically with a label already, but they are in dispute over how he feels ...
- Juli Thanki: The first name that came to my mind was Lee Ann Womack. I'm dying to hear new music from her.