The second installment of our countdown of the decade’s top 100 albums is a male-dominated affair, save for a Georgia peach with big old voice and a young Aussie Sheila with a love for traditional country. 90. Twice The Speed Of Life (2004) – Sugarland Twice The Speed Of Life may not be the most […]
Jack Ingram on pressure and his approach to making music: Billboard: Do you feel more pressure now that you’re having more success? Ingram: I’m a father, there’s a business that has my name on it, there’s a lot of things going on that create that pressure, but I love it. There’s an element to making […]
Austin Music Source’s Brian T. Atkinson published a brief Q&A with Radney Foster, who celebrates his 50th birthday with a star-studded lineup at Hill’s Cafe tonight. Darius Rucker told us recently that he’s thought of recording your entire ‘Del Rio, Texas, 1959’ album. Well, that’s incredibly flattering (laughs). I’ve known for a long time that […]
Lorrie Morgan celebrates her 25th anniversary as an Opry member tonight. On the subject of songs that got away, John Anderson admits that he turned down “Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On,” not knowing that it was Conway Twitty who originally sent the song his way. It was a missed opportunity, but he hopes to […]
The CMA Board of Directors approved changes to redefine the procedures and categories for inclusion into the Country Music Hall of Fame, starting with the 2010 ballots. The new “Veterans Era” category will be for professionals who have been in the industry for more than 25 45 years and combines the former “Career Achieved National […]
Faith Hill lip-synched her performance of “America the Beautiful” at the Super Bowl on Sunday, but if you want to blame somebody, blame Garth Brooks. According to “The Making of the Super Bowl: The Inside Story of the World’s Greatest Sporting Event” by former league executive director Don Weiss, the NFL has required performers to […]
Let us know what you think about Black Crowes suing Gretchen Wilson over the song she sang for a “Saving Grace” commercial. Do they have a case? (Thanks to Paula for the link) Congrats to the fine folks over at Country Universe for passing one million views since moving their blog to WordPress two years […]
Songs like Johnny Cash’s “Hurt”, Martina McBride’s “Independence Day”, and George Strait’s “Amarillo by Morning” chartered considerably lower than other songs from these artists’ catalogs, but are sometimes considered signature songs; even over higher charting singles. With that in mind, Country Universe wants to know: What is the definition of a hit? Sarah Borges, Lucinda […]
I’m proud to introduce a new feature on The 9513. On the first day of every month, one of our editors will present a countdown of his or her favorite songs within a given category. This month, I present the 20 most underappreciated songs of the modern era (1986-present). After recently seeing Bobby Bare in […]
Mario Tarradell has an article about Shanachie Records, the record label who signed Daryle Singletary, David Ball, and Confederate Railroad to record albums of old classics. Why the sudden interest in country? “We think there is a void in country music,” says Randall Grass, Shanachie’s general manager. “Country has become very pop-oriented and very youth-oriented […]
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."