The IBMA Award nominees were announced last night. The full list of nominations can be found here. Hall of Fame inductees: The Seldom Scene (original lineup), Neil Rosenberg Album of the Year: Junior Sisk & Joe Mullins – Hall of Fame Bluegrass; Del McCoury Band – Streets of Baltimore; Noam Pikelny – Noam Pikelny Plays […]
Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.” Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again. Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new […]
HoF to Launch Miranda Lambert Exhibit; Jesse McReynolds Celebrates 50 Years with the Opry; Dolly Books Glastonbury Gig
Miranda Lambert: Backstage Access will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on May 16; the exhibition will run through November 9. Tomorrow the Grand Ole Opry will pay tribute to Jesse McReynolds, who celebrates his 50th anniversary as an Opry member this year. Tammy Wynette’s daughters want the singer’s name to […]
Ron Block, long known for his decades as superb banjoist and guitarist for Alison Krauss and Union Station, released this past summer his third solo album for Rounder Records, Walking Song. Block takes the opportunity, with this project, to focus most heavily on his talents as a singer, producer and musician. In doing so, he […]
The IBMA Awards were last night. Here are the winners: Hall of Fame Inductees: Tony Rice and Paul Warren Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Album of the Year: Balsam Range, Papertown Instrumental Group of the Year: The Boxcars Vocal Group of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Song of the Year: The Gibson Brothers, […]
Download a version of “Rambling Hobo” recorded by Doc Watson in 1976. (The song can be found on new Folkways compilation, Classic Banjo.) Peter Cooper’s new Tennessean article: “How a Happy Accident Revolutionized Guitar Sound.” There’s a New York Times article on Mark Seliger, a photographer—he’s shot everyone from the Dalai Lama to JayZ—who moonlights […]
David Via was attacked by a stranger over the weekend. He’s facing some serious medical costs and, with a broken jaw, he’ll be unable to perform for some time. Bluegrass Today has information on how you can help. The CMA Music Festival crowd was underwhelmed by Lenny Kravitz. The Pistol Annies have canceled their upcoming […]
Pistol Annies’ Second Album Drops in May; Elizabeth Cook Returns to Letterman; New Ron Block Album Due This Summer
Pistol Annies’ sophomore record, Annie Up, will be released May 7. Elizabeth Cook returns to Letterman on Thursday night for an interview and performance. According to a University of Cambridge study that used data including intelligence and personality tests, those who “like” Lady Antebellum on Facebook are more likely to have a lower IQ. (Facebook […]
Mercyland: Hymns for the Rest of Us covers a large swath of musical ground, from the Carolina Chocolate Drops’ raucous string band sound on traditional tune “Lights in the Valley” to Mat Kearney’s sleepy pop to jazz guitarist John Scofield’s gorgeous instrumental version of “Peace in the Valley.” But for all its variety, the Kickstarter-funded […]
Second Edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music Published; Boxcars Ready New Album; Evolution of the Outlaw
The second edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music was published this week. In this piece penned by Jewly Hight for the Nashville Scene, Dierks Bentley reflects on his arrival in Nashville as a teenager: “I was so green. But I still moved here anyway, because I was so drawn to this town and country […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.