Pistol Annies’ Second Album Drops in May; Elizabeth Cook Returns to Letterman; New Ron Block Album Due This Summer
Pistol Annies’ sophomore record, Annie Up, will be released May 7. Elizabeth Cook returns to Letterman on Thursday night for an interview and performance. According to a University of Cambridge study that used data including intelligence and personality tests, those who “like” Lady Antebellum on Facebook are more likely to have a lower IQ. (Facebook [...]
Mercyland: Hymns for the Rest of Us covers a large swath of musical ground, from the Carolina Chocolate Drops’ raucous string band sound on traditional tune “Lights in the Valley” to Mat Kearney’s sleepy pop to jazz guitarist John Scofield’s gorgeous instrumental version of “Peace in the Valley.” But for all its variety, the Kickstarter-funded [...]
Second Edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music Published; Boxcars Ready New Album; Evolution of the Outlaw
The second edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music was published this week. In this piece penned by Jewly Hight for the Nashville Scene, Dierks Bentley reflects on his arrival in Nashville as a teenager: “I was so green. But I still moved here anyway, because I was so drawn to this town and country [...]
Tomorrow is the third annual National Train Day. Now, country music is known to have more than a few good train songs, but since this event has only been in existence since 2008, this week’s Friday Five will only feature songs released since Train Day’s inception. 5. “White Pass Railroad” – The Del McCoury Band [...]
- Doug Gilliland: Can't say for sure if these artists are currently unsigned, but I would love to hear new material from Kathy ...
- Rick: Opry Alert! I'm guessing(?) tonight marks the end of the spring season of the Thursday Night Classic Country Opry shows ...
- bob: Thanks for the info on the PBS Carole King concert. It will be good to see Trisha Yearwood sing again.
- Jon: Nope.
- Luckyoldsun: Sounds good. Is she--or her husband--related to Dallas? (I'll assume not to Joe.)
- Luckyoldsun: R-- Sounds like you're expanding your palate. "60′s style California hippie vibe" sounds like something you'd have banned from your playlist.
- Rick: I like the production, the excellent guitar picking, and Rebecca has a nice voice with individuality, but the song structure ...
- Rick: That Buddy Emmons tribute album sounds kinda interesting. I just might have to give it a listen when it's available. Congratulations ...
- Jon: Jack Bernhardt is the bomb.
- Bruce: Good article on Rucker. I do not care for all his songs and he is far from my favorite. I ...