Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.” Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again. Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new […]
HoF to Launch Miranda Lambert Exhibit; Jesse McReynolds Celebrates 50 Years with the Opry; Dolly Books Glastonbury Gig
Miranda Lambert: Backstage Access will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on May 16; the exhibition will run through November 9. Tomorrow the Grand Ole Opry will pay tribute to Jesse McReynolds, who celebrates his 50th anniversary as an Opry member this year. Tammy Wynette’s daughters want the singer’s name to […]
Ron Block, long known for his decades as superb banjoist and guitarist for Alison Krauss and Union Station, released this past summer his third solo album for Rounder Records, Walking Song. Block takes the opportunity, with this project, to focus most heavily on his talents as a singer, producer and musician. In doing so, he […]
The IBMA Awards were last night. Here are the winners: Hall of Fame Inductees: Tony Rice and Paul Warren Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Album of the Year: Balsam Range, Papertown Instrumental Group of the Year: The Boxcars Vocal Group of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Song of the Year: The Gibson Brothers, […]
Download a version of “Rambling Hobo” recorded by Doc Watson in 1976. (The song can be found on new Folkways compilation, Classic Banjo.) Peter Cooper’s new Tennessean article: “How a Happy Accident Revolutionized Guitar Sound.” There’s a New York Times article on Mark Seliger, a photographer—he’s shot everyone from the Dalai Lama to JayZ—who moonlights […]
David Via was attacked by a stranger over the weekend. He’s facing some serious medical costs and, with a broken jaw, he’ll be unable to perform for some time. Bluegrass Today has information on how you can help. The CMA Music Festival crowd was underwhelmed by Lenny Kravitz. The Pistol Annies have canceled their upcoming […]
Pistol Annies’ Second Album Drops in May; Elizabeth Cook Returns to Letterman; New Ron Block Album Due This Summer
Pistol Annies’ sophomore record, Annie Up, will be released May 7. Elizabeth Cook returns to Letterman on Thursday night for an interview and performance. According to a University of Cambridge study that used data including intelligence and personality tests, those who “like” Lady Antebellum on Facebook are more likely to have a lower IQ. (Facebook […]
Mercyland: Hymns for the Rest of Us covers a large swath of musical ground, from the Carolina Chocolate Drops’ raucous string band sound on traditional tune “Lights in the Valley” to Mat Kearney’s sleepy pop to jazz guitarist John Scofield’s gorgeous instrumental version of “Peace in the Valley.” But for all its variety, the Kickstarter-funded […]
Second Edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music Published; Boxcars Ready New Album; Evolution of the Outlaw
The second edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music was published this week. In this piece penned by Jewly Hight for the Nashville Scene, Dierks Bentley reflects on his arrival in Nashville as a teenager: “I was so green. But I still moved here anyway, because I was so drawn to this town and country […]
Video of Troy Gentry’s Bear Hunt Released; Dierks Bentley’s Four Nights In New York; Songwriting Documentary
Could the release of Troy Gentry‘s bear “hunt” video be the reason Montgomery Gentry and its label parted ways? Want to know who all those songs on the new Taylor Swift album are about without having to do the work? Chris Willman has you covered in his latest article about the hidden messages in Swift’s […]
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …