Trisha Yearwood Gets Back in the Ring; Gillian Welch & David Rawlings Cover Johnny Cash; Dale Watson Stars in New Commercial
Trisha Yearwood announced yesterday evening that she is preparing to release a new album called PrizeFighter through Sony Music Nashville/RCA Records. No word on a release date yet, but I hope it’s soon. Tomorrow works for me. Garth Brooks added another Chicago show, bringing the total to 11. Hardly Strictly Bluegrass has slowly been revealing […]
This year’s ACM Honors, which will be held at the Ryman on September 9, will salute Kris Kristofferson and Dean Dillon (recipients of the Poet’s Award), Cowboy Jack Clement and Buck Owens (posthumous recipients of the Poet’s Award), Toby Keith and Ronnie Milsap (Career Achievement Awards), Carrie Underwood (Gene Weed Special Achievement Award) and several […]
Jayhawks Reissues Due in July; Dolly Parton Releases New Video; Jimmy Dean Museum to Break Ground in June
Jewly Hight interviewed Bobby Osborne about the Osborne Brothers’ new-old album Nashville, which is getting released on Pinecastle June 10. Pam Tillis tells Cindy Watts (The Tennessean) that she’s getting ready to return to the studio. In fake news, “Band Whose Music Nobody Cares to Claim Calls Self Americana.” Gangstagrass has a new video. Watch […]
Listen to any Jason D. Williams song; by the chorus, it’ll become clear that the piano-pounder is the heir apparent to Jerry Lee Lewis. Williams’ new album, Hillbillies and Holy Rollers (out June 10 on Rockabilly Records), is all killer, no filler, as he intersperses solid originals with covers of songs like “Honky Tonk Hardwood […]
Tequila’s been around since at least the 1600s and has been memorialized in song by everyone from Western Swing’s Cliff Bruner to The Champs to Jimmy Buffett to Joe Nichols. Here are 15 other tunes celebrating the beverage. 15. Lorrie Morgan & Sammy Kershaw – “He Drinks Tequila” This Shawn Camp/Michele McCord song from Morgan […]
Shovels & Rope, Jason D. Williams Plan Summer Releases; CMT Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Album Releases
Shovels & Rope will release their sophomore album, Swimmin’ Time, on August 26 via Dualtone Records. (via press release) Watch Kacey Musgraves sing “Follow Your Arrow” at the GLAAD Media Awards. The 615 reports that country singer Julia Sheer is a viral phenomenon thanks in part to YouTube’s Country Now channel; she’s got 450,000+ subscribers. A different […]
Jim Lauderdale, Duhks Prep Summer Releases; New Johnny Cash Book Due in September; Mundo Earwood Passes Away
Barry Mazor spoke with Mac Wiseman at yesterday’s Hall of Fame induction announcements. Check it out. We’ve also got a few exclusive photos from the event that you can see on our Facebook page. Benjamin Whitmer, who co-wrote Charlie Louvin’s Satan is Real: The Ballad of The Louvin Brothers, talks about the experience in this […]
The March 2014 issue of Cowboys and Indians features an interview with Randy Poe, who put together the (highly recommended) Buck Owens autobiography, Buck ‘Em. Check out the Seldom Scene’s new version of “Hickory Wind” featuring Emmylou Harris. This cut will be included on the bluegrass band’s forthcoming record, Long Time…Seldom Scene, which is due […]
It seems as though The Supreme Fabulettes were right when they sang “a drag queen is a cowboy’s best friend.” Drag queens have used hyper-feminine, rhinestoned country divas like Dolly Parton and Tammy Wynette as inspiration for decades, and country music seems to have embraced the world of drag as well. In recent years, Pam Tillis […]
Missed an album release yesterday: Kandia Crazy Horse’s Stampede. Aussie singer-songwriter Catherine Britt has signed with Universal’s Lost Highway imprint. Hope this means we’ll get a new record from her later in the year. Phew, Ashley Monroe says the Pistol Annies haven’t broken up. They’re all focusing on new solo records right now. Sarah Jarosz was […]
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …
- Russ Morris: My introduction to Dwight was This Time. Every song on that album is my favorite. I'm playing 3 Pears in …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Favorite Dwight Yoakam song? Too darn tough to choose! I do love his second Greatest Hits album, though, featuring his …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …