The March 2014 issue of Cowboys and Indians features an interview with Randy Poe, who put together the (highly recommended) Buck Owens autobiography, Buck ‘Em. Check out the Seldom Scene’s new version of “Hickory Wind” featuring Emmylou Harris. This cut will be included on the bluegrass band’s forthcoming record, Long Time…Seldom Scene, which is due […]
It seems as though The Supreme Fabulettes were right when they sang “a drag queen is a cowboy’s best friend.” Drag queens have used hyper-feminine, rhinestoned country divas like Dolly Parton and Tammy Wynette as inspiration for decades, and country music seems to have embraced the world of drag as well. In recent years, Pam Tillis […]
Missed an album release yesterday: Kandia Crazy Horse’s Stampede. Aussie singer-songwriter Catherine Britt has signed with Universal’s Lost Highway imprint. Hope this means we’ll get a new record from her later in the year. Phew, Ashley Monroe says the Pistol Annies haven’t broken up. They’re all focusing on new solo records right now. Sarah Jarosz was […]
Haggard, Nelson, Kristofferson & Shelton to Perform at Grammys; Chuck Mead Signs with Plowboy; Isbell Releases New Music Videos
Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, and…Blake Shelton will perform together at the Grammy Awards next month. First Baptist Church in Mt. Pleasant, Texas is holding a memorial service for Ray Price on Saturday afternoon. Fellow Pennsylvanians might dig this brief article about Price’s place in the Lehigh Valley country music scene. Remember last week […]
Lost Johnny Cash Album Due Out in March; Earl Scruggs Center Readies for Grand Opening; Amos Lee Covers John Prine
A lost Johnny Cash album will be released on March 25. From the AP article: Out Among the Stars, an album he recorded with Billy Sherrill in the early 1980s that was never released by Columbia Records, then disappeared when the company dropped Cash in 1986. Turns out Cash and his wife, June Carter Cash, […]
Four hours and 40 songs of music by country music’s biggest and brightest stars honored George Jones at Bridgestone Arena on Friday night. Saving Country Music live-blogged the event if you’d like to relive the evening, and Twang Nation has some videos if you weren’t lucky enough to be in the audience. Jerald Wayne Mills, 44, of […]
Ray Price Battles Sepsis; Dale Watson to Reopen Ginny’s Little Longhorn Saloon; Is Folk Music Possible Anymore?
Ray Price developed a case of sepsis while in the hospital. This post on his official Facebook page says that Price is stable for now. Here’s a video for “Blacktop,” shot at Alan Jackson’s Station Inn show. Geoffrey Himes for Paste: Is folk music even possible anymore? By “folk music,” I refer not to the […]
George Strait Inks New MCA Deal; Initial IBMA Awards Performers & Presenters Announced; Stream The Coal Men’s New Album
George Strait was celebrated at a private event at Nashville’s Schermerhorn Symphony Center last night. Strait recently inked a deal to record five more albums for his longtime label MCA. The Gibson Brothers, Del McCoury Band, and Rhonda Vincent & The Rage are among the acts confirmed as performers at this year’s IBMA Awards. The […]
T-Model Ford Passes Away; David Nail, Westbound Rangers Release New Videos; What’s Up with Gibson Banjos?
T-Model Ford passed away yesterday. The influential bluesman was in his 90s and had been battling health issues for several years after suffering a series of strokes in 2010. Listen to a KEXP session Ford recorded in 2008. Emmylou Harris’ “Boulder to Birmingham” and Charlie Louvin’s “Ira” made The A.V. Club’s list of “songs that directly […]
Brenda Lee Sampled on New Kanye West Record; Shovels & Rope, Stringdusters Announce Tour Dates; Album Releases
All 80,000+ tickets for Toby Keith’s Oklahoma Twister Relief Concert sold out in 2 ½ hours. Brenda Lee was sampled on Kanye West’s new record, Yeezus. When talking with the Tennessean’s Dave Paulson about it, Lee said, “My goodness, it’s nice to be recognized.” She is the best. Kris Kristofferson, Jamey Johnson, Asleep at the […]
- Joe Mekler: Not only is this a fun tune with an unusual form but it is politically appropriate for the present times!
- Paul W Dennis: Moot Davis deserves much wider success than he's had thus far. I have a couple of his albums and they …
- Ron Estepp: Great toe tapper, dance song and straight lyrics. I need more!
- Arlene: Another loss. Here's one of my favorite Jesse Winchester performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKGWpqnS8E
- bob: I like that Wendy Colonna song. I'll have to check out more of her music. I have the 2 Delbert & …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Holy moly, that Peter Cooper article on Ray Price is a doozy. I haven't yet had a chance to listen …
- Juli Thanki: Update from The Commercial Appeal: One of music’s sweetest voices and most incisive songwriters, Jesse Winchester, has died. The 69 …
- Barry Mazor: A very good case could be made that the Newport "Folk" festival is now an Americana festival--the two not …
- TexasVet: Here's Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris & Carrie Underwood singing "Blue Bayou" Last night at the Rock and Roll Hall of …
- Jeff Miller: That Peter Cooper double shot is powerful!