Fourth Person Dies from SXSW Injuries; Billboard and Twitter Team Up; Mary Gauthier Announces Tour Dates
Download a free, 55-page excerpt of Galadrielle Allman’s Please Be with Me: A Song for My Father, Duane Allman. Dierks Bentley, Kellie Pickler, Tim McGraw, Toby Keith, Lee Brice, Luke Bryan, Hunter Hayes, and Keith Urban will perform on the concert special ACM Presents: An All-Star Salute to the Troops, which is taping in Vegas […]
Get the story behind Curly Putnam’s Green Green Grass of Home.” Is there a sadder twist ending in country music than the one in this song? Jason Isbell performed “Flying Over Water” on Conan last night. Isbell also sang “Different Days” for CMT Edge. Here’s your first look at Carrie Underwood as Maria in The […]
It’s Porter Wagoner’s birthday today. He would have been 84. In honor of the Wagonmaster, here are my five favorite songs made famous by him over his six decade career. What are your favorite Wagoner songs? 5. “Misery Loves Company” This song, written by Jerry Reed, was Wagoner’s second #1. The first heartbreak is the […]
Songwriters: Don Cook, James House, Curly Putnam and Rafe Van Hoy. “Written by committee” is a standard put-down for jumbled songs so chock-full of cliches without any sort of concentrated focus that it’s easy to imagine a room full of songwriters throwing proverbial darts at a lyrical dartboard in search of easily digestible, commercially viable […]
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …