Library of Congress Adds to National Recording Registry; George Strait & Garth Brooks to Perform Together at ACM Awards; Iris DeMent on Mountain Stage
Here’s a fine New York Times feature on the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. An excerpt: At a time when the troubled economy is causing many museums to pull back, the hall is blasting ahead with an expansion that will more than double its size to 350,000 square feet. It has raised $71.6 [...]
Ryan Adams to Release New Album in Fall; “Honor Thy Song” Concert to Remember Songwriter Tim Johnson; Taylor Swift Named RIAA’s Top-Selling Digital Singles Artist
Ryan Adams will release a new album in the fall. Steve Chandler is working with Merle Haggard and Mac Wiseman and mixing a “country-bluegrass” record. Donna Ulisse wants you in her next video. On May 7, the Ryman will host “Honor Thy Song,” an event to celebrate the late songwriter Tim Johnson. Joey + Rory, [...]
Claude King Passes Away; Patty Griffin’s Next Album Due in May; USA Today Premieres New Kim Richey Song
Claude King, best known for “Wolverton Mountain,” passed away yesterday morning at the age of 90. Japanese bluegrasser Maro Kawabata passed away earlier this week at the age of 51. Patty Griffin will release her next record, American Kid, on May 7. It’ll be her first album for New West Records. What’s new at the [...]
JD Souther Named to Songwriters Hall of Fame; Cleotha Staples Passes Away; Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires Wed
Cleotha Staples, one of The Staple Singers, passed away at 78. JD Souther was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame and will be inducted in a ceremony later this year. Steve Dougherty interviewed and profiled Buddy Miller for the Wall Street Journal. Discussing the heart attack he had onstage in 2009, Miller said, “I [...]
Taylor Swift kicked off the Grammy Awards last night with a performance of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.” View the full list of award winners here. Album of the Year: Mumford and Sons – Babel Best Country Album: Zac Brown Band – Uncaged Best Country Song: “Blown Away,” written by Josh Kear & Chris [...]
Frank Page, John Wilkinson Pass Away; Skynyrd, Paisley to Take Part in Inaugural Festivities; New Music Videos
Willie Nelson’s next album, Let’s Face the Music and Dance, will be released March 5. The press release states that the album’s songs “include American standards and country classics, Irving Berlin and Carl Perkins, Django Reinhardt as well as Willie-penned originals.” Peter Cooper wrote a feature on the tragic tale of Glen Sherley, the Folsom inmate who wrote “Greystone Chapel.” [...]
Ray Benson Launches Kickstarter Campaign; Darius Rucker Inducted Into Opry; New SteelDrivers Album Due in February
The Farewell Drifters played a couple for the Bluegrass Situation. Darius Rucker was formally inducted into the Opry yesterday. Watch here. Ray Benson launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for the release of an Asleep at the Wheel documentary. Jewly Hight talks with Shelby Lynne about her evolution as an artist and the [...]
Music journalist Patsi Bale Cox passed away at the age of 66. She was credited with books on Loretta Lynn, Wynonna Judd, Ralph Emery, George Jones and more. A benefit concert being held by George Jones will fund the construction of a memorial in honor of country music star Tammy Wynette in Mississippi. It will [...]
Loretta Lynn Cancels Shows Due to Pneumonia; Tennessee Launches Ring of Fire Trail; New Music Videos
76-year-old Loretta Lynn has cancelled two weeks of performances while she rests with a case of pneumonia. Gene Kurtz passed away. The talented musician co-wrote “Treat Her Right” and worked with artists like Charley Pride, Dale Watson, and many more. There is new music (and video) from songstress Emily West called “I Hate You, I [...]
- Rick: Opry Alert! I'm guessing(?) tonight marks the end of the spring season of the Thursday Night Classic Country Opry shows ...
- bob: Thanks for the info on the PBS Carole King concert. It will be good to see Trisha Yearwood sing again.
- Jon: Nope.
- Luckyoldsun: Sounds good. Is she--or her husband--related to Dallas? (I'll assume not to Joe.)
- Luckyoldsun: R-- Sounds like you're expanding your palate. "60′s style California hippie vibe" sounds like something you'd have banned from your playlist.
- Rick: I like the production, the excellent guitar picking, and Rebecca has a nice voice with individuality, but the song structure ...
- Rick: That Buddy Emmons tribute album sounds kinda interesting. I just might have to give it a listen when it's available. Congratulations ...
- Jon: Jack Bernhardt is the bomb.
- Bruce: Good article on Rucker. I do not care for all his songs and he is far from my favorite. I ...
- Kelly D.: Dig the Whiskey Sisters and the write-up from ol' Jim C.