Last.fm Top Artists While Josh Turner has normally averaged around 13 listeners per week, the release of a new album shot him up to #4 on the list this week, with 23 listeners. It’s a decent showing but not spectacular, which is pretty much in line with how the album reviews have been. Once again, […]
Last.fm Top Artists It didn’t take long for Miranda Lambert to reclaim her status as the #1 artist, with 28 listeners. Next came Carrie Underwood with 26, and Lady Antebellum with 24. So the whole Lady A surge lasted for all of a week around here. Gary Allan gets another week in the Top 10, […]
Wynonna and Naomi Judd are reuniting for a 2010 tour. Country Haiku takes the literal approach to a country classic: I have to wonder Who is gonna fill their shoes They’re like size 14 On April 20, Jason Boland will release his first album since undergoing throat surgery. The live album, titled High In The […]
A couple notes: Because the Last.fm Top Albums chart is messed up (the same chart has repeated all month, and not even the new Lady Antebellum album showed up this week), I’ll be avoiding it until it’s fixed. Secondly, I’ve done a little tallying and have come up with the top artists of the month […]
Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett earned Oscar nominations for their work on Crazy Heart. The soundtrack is currently available for download at $5.00 with the deluxe edition marked up a few dollars at $7.99. New releases for the week of February 2, 2009 include: Béla Fleck – Throw Down Your […]
From the soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou to his work on the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss collaboration, T-Bone Burnett is the top producer for country and Americana “event” recordings. His latest event is the soundtrack for current awards show darling Crazy Heart, co-produced by the late Stephen Bruton. The two movies couldn’t be more […]
When we first encounter the protagonist of Crazy Heart, he’s emptying a milk jug full of his own piss in a bowling alley parking lot. Meet Bad Blake (Jeff Bridges), former country star and current broke-down 57-year old with a heart of gold (and too little blood in his alcohol stream, if the multiple shots […]
Fox Searchlight decided against submitting the original compositions for the film Crazy Heart into consideration for an Academy Award after learning that the score would have been ineligible. Academy regulations forbid works by multiple composers, which means Stephen Bruton won’t be earning a posthumous Oscar. On the other hand, Ryan Bingham still has a shot […]
The Blind Side, starring Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw, nearly knocked off teen vamp flick Twilight: New Moon as the weekend’s top box office earner. New Moon pulled in $42.5 million, just a handful more than The Blind Side, which grossed $40 million. Both films are in their second week. The Hollywood Reporter on Crazy […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."