The Grascals are royalty on the bluegrass scene, having won SPBGMA’s Bluegrass Band of the Year award in 2010, the International Bluegrass Music Association’s Emerging Artist of the Year award in 2005 and earning its Entertainer of the Year honor in both 2006 and 2007. Danny Roberts began playing guitar to back up his fiddling […]
One of the best elements of a Grascals album is their choice in covers, which have included their own versions of songs made famous by Jennings, Jones, and Haggard–just to name a few. The sextet’s blend of bluegrass and classic country makes them one of the most entertaining, most consistent bands in roots music. The […]
At last night’s annual International Bluegrass Music Awards, Dailey & Vincent triumphed — again, maintaining their hold on the entertainer of the year and top vocal group categories for the third year in a row. The duo also notched wins for album of the year for their tribute project Dailey & Vincent Sing the Statler […]
One of Nashville’s famous session musicians of the past, guitarist Fred Carter, Jr., and father of country singer Deana Carter passed away on Saturday of stroke-related causes at the age of 76. New releases for the week of July 20, 2010 include: Asleep at the Wheel and Leon Rausch – It’s A Good Day Amazon […]
There was a ton of country music released in February, a great deal of which never found its way onto the pages of The 9513. Here are abbreviated album reviews of last month’s under-the-radar music. Lightning From The North – .357 String Band The third release from this scrappy Milwaukee quartet is bursting at the […]
Last.fm Top Artists While Josh Turner has normally averaged around 13 listeners per week, the release of a new album shot him up to #4 on the list this week, with 23 listeners. It’s a decent showing but not spectacular, which is pretty much in line with how the album reviews have been. Once again, […]
To celebrate 50 years of making music, Kenny Rogers will be the honoree of a star-studded TV special. The event will be filmed on April 10 and already has commitments from Dolly Parton, Alison Krauss, Lionel Richie, and Wynonna Judd. The folks over at Lost Highway Music are streaming the title track to Johnny Cash‘s […]
Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett earned Oscar nominations for their work on Crazy Heart. The soundtrack is currently available for download at $5.00 with the deluxe edition marked up a few dollars at $7.99. New releases for the week of February 2, 2009 include: Béla Fleck – Throw Down Your […]
George Strait and Reba McEntire are going on tour together. String Theory Media’s Craig Havighurst highlighted a NPR feature that argues that charts might be measuring the wrong thing, and because of that, they mean less today than they did in the past. They’ve always been something of an illusion, a contrivance meant to serve […]
Shania Twain Guests On American Idol; Dolly Parton Box Set Announced; George Jones Teams With Cracker Barrel
Shania Twain will fill in as a guest judge at an upcoming American Idol audition. New releases for the week of August 18, 2009 include: Augie Meyers – Country Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Brady Seals – Play Time Amazon | iTunes | MySpace David Nail – I’m About To Come Alive Amazon | iTunes […]
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.