Yesterday, Juli posted a profile on Hellbound Glory, a Reno-based band with a mash-up of sonic influences. The group characterizes its sound as “scumbag country,” the latest in a recent spurt of country and bluegrass sub-genres: Though the band’s lineup has changed often over the past five years, their sound, which Virgil describes as “scumbag […]
Sunday marks Father’s Day, a holiday dedicated to celebrating dad of all shapes and sizes – both physically and emotionally. The father figure has always played an important role in country music, from Waylon Jenning’s “Only Daddy That’ll Walk the Line” to George Strait’s “Love Without End, Amen.” On the other hand, some songs never […]
How hard is it to get mosh seats at the CMT Awards? Getting the seats is easy. Moshing to Lady Antebellum is hard. — Stephen I think you’re thinking of the wrong type of award show. Wait, wait. No, you’re right. — Karlie Mosh seats? If that’s your expectation, I’d recommend against even trying. — […]
Last week in news magazine Newsweek, Steve Tuttle discussed the changing aesthetics of the county music genre in his article “Murder on Music Row: Taylor Swift? Songs about cute little kids? What has happened to country music?!” Tuttle, a general editor for the magazine, bluntly expressed his disapproval of artists like Rodney Atkins and Lonestar, […]
The Academy of Country Music awards show airs Sunday, but some trophies have already been handed out. One of these early honors went to Brad Paisley, who won Video of the Year for “Waitin’ On A Woman.” Music videos (or “filmed inserts,” as they were sometimes referred to before the 1980s) have been around longer […]
The reporters and editors who craft headline banners atop newspapers and magazines across the country have been making the front pages themselves over the last few months–and between layoffs, furloughs and shut-downs at newspapers, magazines and television stations across the country, these aren’t fluffy, feel-good feature stories. It’s no surprise, then, country music news outlets […]
Almost exactly 50 years ago on February 3, 1959, a plane crash in Iowa killed three rock and roll pioneers. The Day the Music Died, as it was coined in Don McLean’s “American Pie,” marked the loss of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson (who wrote George Jones’ first No. 1 […]
Let us know what you think about Black Crowes suing Gretchen Wilson over the song she sang for a “Saving Grace” commercial. Do they have a case? (Thanks to Paula for the link) Congrats to the fine folks over at Country Universe for passing one million views since moving their blog to WordPress two years […]
Gary Allan has no balls, as illustrated by his latest album — Living Hard — and just so you know, Ronnie Dunn and John Anderson are merely average Nashville singers, too. I wish I was just making this stuff up, folks. Tours featuring two mega-stars are in. First it was Kenny Chesney and LeAnn Rimes, […]
The police officer that arrested John Michael Montgomery a little over a year ago was fired yesterday after an eight hour hearing. Officer Joshua Cromer was one of six officers disciplined by the police department for controversial comments posted on MySpace.com, a social networking site. In the postings, the officers discussed their jobs, commented on […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.