Yesterday, Juli posted a profile on Hellbound Glory, a Reno-based band with a mash-up of sonic influences. The group characterizes its sound as “scumbag country,” the latest in a recent spurt of country and bluegrass sub-genres: Though the band’s lineup has changed often over the past five years, their sound, which Virgil describes as “scumbag […]
Sunday marks Father’s Day, a holiday dedicated to celebrating dad of all shapes and sizes – both physically and emotionally. The father figure has always played an important role in country music, from Waylon Jenning’s “Only Daddy That’ll Walk the Line” to George Strait’s “Love Without End, Amen.” On the other hand, some songs never […]
How hard is it to get mosh seats at the CMT Awards? Getting the seats is easy. Moshing to Lady Antebellum is hard. — Stephen I think you’re thinking of the wrong type of award show. Wait, wait. No, you’re right. — Karlie Mosh seats? If that’s your expectation, I’d recommend against even trying. — […]
Last week in news magazine Newsweek, Steve Tuttle discussed the changing aesthetics of the county music genre in his article “Murder on Music Row: Taylor Swift? Songs about cute little kids? What has happened to country music?!” Tuttle, a general editor for the magazine, bluntly expressed his disapproval of artists like Rodney Atkins and Lonestar, […]
The Academy of Country Music awards show airs Sunday, but some trophies have already been handed out. One of these early honors went to Brad Paisley, who won Video of the Year for “Waitin’ On A Woman.” Music videos (or “filmed inserts,” as they were sometimes referred to before the 1980s) have been around longer […]
The reporters and editors who craft headline banners atop newspapers and magazines across the country have been making the front pages themselves over the last few months–and between layoffs, furloughs and shut-downs at newspapers, magazines and television stations across the country, these aren’t fluffy, feel-good feature stories. It’s no surprise, then, country music news outlets […]
Almost exactly 50 years ago on February 3, 1959, a plane crash in Iowa killed three rock and roll pioneers. The Day the Music Died, as it was coined in Don McLean’s “American Pie,” marked the loss of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson (who wrote George Jones’ first No. 1 […]
Let us know what you think about Black Crowes suing Gretchen Wilson over the song she sang for a “Saving Grace” commercial. Do they have a case? (Thanks to Paula for the link) Congrats to the fine folks over at Country Universe for passing one million views since moving their blog to WordPress two years […]
Gary Allan has no balls, as illustrated by his latest album — Living Hard — and just so you know, Ronnie Dunn and John Anderson are merely average Nashville singers, too. I wish I was just making this stuff up, folks. Tours featuring two mega-stars are in. First it was Kenny Chesney and LeAnn Rimes, […]
The police officer that arrested John Michael Montgomery a little over a year ago was fired yesterday after an eight hour hearing. Officer Joshua Cromer was one of six officers disciplined by the police department for controversial comments posted on MySpace.com, a social networking site. In the postings, the officers discussed their jobs, commented on […]
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."