Earl Poole Ball has spent most of his career backing some of country’s biggest names. With the release of Pianography, he’s taking his own turn in the spotlight. The honky-tonk piano pounder (who was a member of Johnny Cash’s band for 20-plus years and has done session work for Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, and The Flying […]
Americana Music Awards Nominees Announced; Third Man to Reissue Sun Records Singles; BBC Radio 4 Broadcast Gets Yodel-Bombed
Shovels & Rope earned four Americana Music Awards nominations yesterday afternoon. Buddy Miller and Emmylou Harris got three each. Read the full list here; the winners will be announced September 18 at the Americana Awards and Honors Ceremony, which will be hosted by Jim Lauderdale. Willie Nelson has donated more than $120,000 to relief efforts following […]
Harris & Crowell to Tape Austin City Limits; Black Prairie on Mountain Stage; Steve Earle Writing Historical Fiction Novel
Patty Griffin’s “Ohio,” featuring Robert Plant, is The Key’s “Gotta Hear Song of the Week.” Here’s an interesting Nashville Scene feature on African-American brothers Tosh and Nioshi Jackson, who have made country music careers for themselves as the program director of KNTY and drummer/artist management representative, respectively. An excerpt from the article: Both Jacksons feel […]
Faith Hill to Join the Pretenders for ‘Crossroads'; New Album Releases; Court Yard Hounds Schedule Live Web Chat
On Feb. 5, the night before the Super Bowl, Faith Hill and The Pretenders will team up for a live episode of CMT Crossroads. The success of “Somewhere With You” earned Kenny Chesney his 21st No. 1 single. Preview “Mountain Home,” the title track to Owen Temple‘s next album. Vote: The 2011 LoneStarMusic Awards In […]
Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women (consisting of Christy McWilson, Cindy Cashdollar, Nina Gerber, Laurie Lewis, Amy Farris, Sarah Brown and Lisa Pankratz) will kick off their tour on June 18 in Santa Cruz, CA in support of their new self-titled album. Lynyrd Skynyrd bassist Donald “Ean” Evans passed away at the age of 48 […]
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.