Earl Poole Ball has spent most of his career backing some of country’s biggest names. With the release of Pianography, he’s taking his own turn in the spotlight. The honky-tonk piano pounder (who was a member of Johnny Cash’s band for 20-plus years and has done session work for Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, and The Flying […]
Americana Music Awards Nominees Announced; Third Man to Reissue Sun Records Singles; BBC Radio 4 Broadcast Gets Yodel-Bombed
Shovels & Rope earned four Americana Music Awards nominations yesterday afternoon. Buddy Miller and Emmylou Harris got three each. Read the full list here; the winners will be announced September 18 at the Americana Awards and Honors Ceremony, which will be hosted by Jim Lauderdale. Willie Nelson has donated more than $120,000 to relief efforts following […]
Harris & Crowell to Tape Austin City Limits; Black Prairie on Mountain Stage; Steve Earle Writing Historical Fiction Novel
Patty Griffin’s “Ohio,” featuring Robert Plant, is The Key’s “Gotta Hear Song of the Week.” Here’s an interesting Nashville Scene feature on African-American brothers Tosh and Nioshi Jackson, who have made country music careers for themselves as the program director of KNTY and drummer/artist management representative, respectively. An excerpt from the article: Both Jacksons feel […]
Faith Hill to Join the Pretenders for ‘Crossroads'; New Album Releases; Court Yard Hounds Schedule Live Web Chat
On Feb. 5, the night before the Super Bowl, Faith Hill and The Pretenders will team up for a live episode of CMT Crossroads. The success of “Somewhere With You” earned Kenny Chesney his 21st No. 1 single. Preview “Mountain Home,” the title track to Owen Temple‘s next album. Vote: The 2011 LoneStarMusic Awards In […]
Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women (consisting of Christy McWilson, Cindy Cashdollar, Nina Gerber, Laurie Lewis, Amy Farris, Sarah Brown and Lisa Pankratz) will kick off their tour on June 18 in Santa Cruz, CA in support of their new self-titled album. Lynyrd Skynyrd bassist Donald “Ean” Evans passed away at the age of 48 […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.