Christmas songs are generally allowed more latitude than other songs. They can be a little more saccharine, a little sillier, because we’re only going to hear them a handful of times during December, and then they get left alone for 11 months. If a song can just not wear out its welcome after about five […]
Yes, this was supposed to be Sevens. I’ve been making my way chronologically through Garth Brooks’ catalog, listening to each album for the very first time, wrestling with each one as both a separate work and a piece of a larger catalog, and ultimately trying to measure the distance I’ve come since my teenage self […]
When you’re talking with guitar legend Steve Wariner, the influence of his mentor of Chet Atkins is never far away. It was Atkins that signed Wariner to RCA Records and it was there he would start off a career that would reel off nine #1’s and a long line of Top 10 hits, including “Your […]
What does Alan Jackson like on his eggs? Cheese and corn. — Stephen He still likes bologna. — Ken A load of salsa. — Jim Hens. — CMW What message is Tim McGraw saying in Southern Voice? The message is that while most people think the South is full of uneducated rednecks and hillbillies, there […]
Much like holiday movies and specials, Christmas albums bring out the children and the Scrooges in all of us with their chintzy production and forced cheeriness. Typically, they’re filled with the musical equivalent of switches and ashes: perfunctory run-throughs of the same old songs you hear every year and uninspired new compositions you won’t remember […]
Last.fm Top Artists The 9513 group is up to 132 members, and 30 of them listened to Brad Paisley last week, making him the #1 artist. That should give him some consolation for having his #1 Billboard singles streak broken. Right behind him is George Strait (27 listeners), Miranda Lambert (26), Alan Jackson (25) and […]
Is Dave Haywood going solo? Only if he thinks his latest song he’s written, “I’m Leaving The Gravy Train” is going to be a hit. – Ken No, but he will be featured on the upcoming season of Meerkat Manor. — CMW I don’t think so, because he’s a pretty integral part of… um, what […]
John Gerome lays out all the logistics of a Christmas album from the label side of things. Basically, the peak season for a Christmas album is between late October and Christmas, it usually sells well for a few seasons, and if it makes it to gold status, then it’s hugely successful. Gerome says Elvis’ Christmas […]
Sugar Hill Records is offering a few Christmas songs from their ’93 release, Sugar Plums, for download on their MySpace page. If you haven’t registered yet, check out our Christmas playlist and register to win a Christmas album. A new site, called Ceehive, for people to run creative contests is running a contest to give […]
Whether you’re a fan of Christmas music or not, it’s hard to avoid during the month of December. So in the spirit of the holidays each of The 9513′s editors decided to give you some download fodder and jotted out a list of their favorite holiday inspired tunes. Be sure to share some of your […]
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …