Christmas songs are generally allowed more latitude than other songs. They can be a little more saccharine, a little sillier, because we’re only going to hear them a handful of times during December, and then they get left alone for 11 months. If a song can just not wear out its welcome after about five […]
Yes, this was supposed to be Sevens. I’ve been making my way chronologically through Garth Brooks’ catalog, listening to each album for the very first time, wrestling with each one as both a separate work and a piece of a larger catalog, and ultimately trying to measure the distance I’ve come since my teenage self […]
When you’re talking with guitar legend Steve Wariner, the influence of his mentor of Chet Atkins is never far away. It was Atkins that signed Wariner to RCA Records and it was there he would start off a career that would reel off nine #1’s and a long line of Top 10 hits, including “Your […]
What does Alan Jackson like on his eggs? Cheese and corn. — Stephen He still likes bologna. — Ken A load of salsa. — Jim Hens. — CMW What message is Tim McGraw saying in Southern Voice? The message is that while most people think the South is full of uneducated rednecks and hillbillies, there […]
Much like holiday movies and specials, Christmas albums bring out the children and the Scrooges in all of us with their chintzy production and forced cheeriness. Typically, they’re filled with the musical equivalent of switches and ashes: perfunctory run-throughs of the same old songs you hear every year and uninspired new compositions you won’t remember […]
Last.fm Top Artists The 9513 group is up to 132 members, and 30 of them listened to Brad Paisley last week, making him the #1 artist. That should give him some consolation for having his #1 Billboard singles streak broken. Right behind him is George Strait (27 listeners), Miranda Lambert (26), Alan Jackson (25) and […]
Is Dave Haywood going solo? Only if he thinks his latest song he’s written, “I’m Leaving The Gravy Train” is going to be a hit. – Ken No, but he will be featured on the upcoming season of Meerkat Manor. — CMW I don’t think so, because he’s a pretty integral part of… um, what […]
John Gerome lays out all the logistics of a Christmas album from the label side of things. Basically, the peak season for a Christmas album is between late October and Christmas, it usually sells well for a few seasons, and if it makes it to gold status, then it’s hugely successful. Gerome says Elvis’ Christmas […]
Sugar Hill Records is offering a few Christmas songs from their ’93 release, Sugar Plums, for download on their MySpace page. If you haven’t registered yet, check out our Christmas playlist and register to win a Christmas album. A new site, called Ceehive, for people to run creative contests is running a contest to give […]
Whether you’re a fan of Christmas music or not, it’s hard to avoid during the month of December. So in the spirit of the holidays each of The 9513’s editors decided to give you some download fodder and jotted out a list of their favorite holiday inspired tunes. Be sure to share some of your […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.