Rabbits: cute, disapproving, and delicious. No wonder they’re featured in so many country and roots songs, including Bob Wills’ “The Bunny with the Powder Puff Tail,” The New Lost City Ramblers’ “Rabbit Chase,” and Lloyd Green’s “Funny Bunny.” So perk up those ears and listen to five more bunny tunes. 5. Bill Carlisle – “Dumb […]
New Josh Turner Album Due June 12; Kathleen Edwards Cancels Shows Due to Vocal Strain; HoF Extends Chet Atkins Exhibit
Josh Turner’s new album, Punching Bag, is scheduled for a June 12 release. Kathleen Edwards had to postpone the rest of her North American tour due to “symptoms of vocal strain and burnout.” Chet Flippo on Willie Nelson’s new record, Heroes: Maybe his songwriting pen isn’t as frenetic as it once was, but he still […]
Bakersfield Sound Exhibit Opens; More ACM Awards Performers Announced; How to Grow a Band Documentary to Open in April
Putamayo’s new bluegrass collection, due out in May, includes Alison Krauss & Union Station, Sam Bush, Town Mountain, Peter Rowan, and more. Have a listen here. Shooter Jennings on fitting in with Music Row: I don’t know if I could fit in. I know that I wouldn’t fit happily. I’ve never written with teams of […]
Curb to Release Hank Jr. Walmart Exclusive CD; Jim Lauderdale Documentary to Air in Australia; New Album Releases
Chris Thile finds the first two Nickel Creek albums “unbearably smug.” Old-time fiddler Joe Thompson passed away yesterday at the age of 93. Thompson influenced several musicians, including the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Here is a 2007 performance at the Kennedy Center. George Jones and Tammy Wynette and Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell are featured in […]
Whether you’re a fan of traditional, progressive, or any and all other permutations of bluegrass music, chances are you found a few favorite new albums this past year. Here are our Top 20 bluegrass records of 2011. 20. Farewell Drifters – Echo Boom Drawing equally on John Hartford and The Beatles, The Farewell Drifters are […]
Grammy nominations were announced last night. Jim Lauderdale, Blake Shelton, Jason Aldean, Chris Thile, Michael Daves, Gillian Welch, Martina McBride, Eric Brace, Peter Cooper, and Alison Krauss & Union Station are just a few of the names up for awards. Check out the full list of nominees here. Tim McGraw is free from Curb Records, […]
Joe Gracey, an important figure in the Austin music scene, passed away this week after a battle with cancer. Rosanne Cash performs with the Minnesota Orchestra tonight. Chris Willman wrote a piece (and quoted Blake Boldt) about homosexuality in the country music industry: Whatever stereotypes might exist about country music not being a gay-friendly genre, […]
Nudie Cohn Gets Hall of Fame Exhibit; Mumford and Sons Debut New Song; Goat Rodeo Sessions on Colbert Report
Last week the Country Music Hall of Fame unveiled a spotlight exhibit dedicated to dazzling clothier Nudie Cohn. The exhibit will run through November 2012. Chris Parton of CMT spoke with Robert Ellis about his new, classic country-influenced album, Photographs. The Huffington Post featured an article on the Bluegrass Underground concert series, which is held […]
Taz DiGregorio Killed in Auto Accident; Buddy Miller is AMA Artist of the Year; Free Bluegrass in Dallas
Taz DiGregorio, vocalist and keyboardist in the Charlie Daniels Band (and co-writer of “The Devil Went Down to Georgia”) was killed in an automobile accident. He was a member of the CDB for four decades. Robert Plant, Buddy Miller, Justin Townes Earle, and Mumford and Sons all won awards at yesterday’s AMAs. Lucinda Williams, Jerry […]
Brad Paisley Pens Diary of a Player; Chris Thile & Michael Daves Thrill at Ellnora; New Songs from Emily West
Jim Lauderdale interviewed Kenny Vaughan about his new record in a video for American Songwriter. The Professional Bull Riders are teaming up with The McClymonts, hosting a contest in which people can enter for a chance to win a trip to Australia. The McClymonts will also be performing during the 2011 PBR World Finals in […]
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …