New Josh Turner Album Due June 12; Kathleen Edwards Cancels Shows Due to Vocal Strain; HoF Extends Chet Atkins Exhibit
Josh Turner’s new album, Punching Bag, is scheduled for a June 12 release. Kathleen Edwards had to postpone the rest of her North American tour due to “symptoms of vocal strain and burnout.” Chet Flippo on Willie Nelson’s new record, Heroes: Maybe his songwriting pen isn’t as frenetic as it once was, but he still […]
Bakersfield Sound Exhibit Opens; More ACM Awards Performers Announced; How to Grow a Band Documentary to Open in April
Putamayo’s new bluegrass collection, due out in May, includes Alison Krauss & Union Station, Sam Bush, Town Mountain, Peter Rowan, and more. Have a listen here. Shooter Jennings on fitting in with Music Row: I don’t know if I could fit in. I know that I wouldn’t fit happily. I’ve never written with teams of […]
Curb to Release Hank Jr. Walmart Exclusive CD; Jim Lauderdale Documentary to Air in Australia; New Album Releases
Chris Thile finds the first two Nickel Creek albums “unbearably smug.” Old-time fiddler Joe Thompson passed away yesterday at the age of 93. Thompson influenced several musicians, including the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Here is a 2007 performance at the Kennedy Center. George Jones and Tammy Wynette and Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell are featured in […]
Whether you’re a fan of traditional, progressive, or any and all other permutations of bluegrass music, chances are you found a few favorite new albums this past year. Here are our Top 20 bluegrass records of 2011. 20. Farewell Drifters – Echo Boom Drawing equally on John Hartford and The Beatles, The Farewell Drifters are […]
Grammy nominations were announced last night. Jim Lauderdale, Blake Shelton, Jason Aldean, Chris Thile, Michael Daves, Gillian Welch, Martina McBride, Eric Brace, Peter Cooper, and Alison Krauss & Union Station are just a few of the names up for awards. Check out the full list of nominees here. Tim McGraw is free from Curb Records, […]
Joe Gracey, an important figure in the Austin music scene, passed away this week after a battle with cancer. Rosanne Cash performs with the Minnesota Orchestra tonight. Chris Willman wrote a piece (and quoted Blake Boldt) about homosexuality in the country music industry: Whatever stereotypes might exist about country music not being a gay-friendly genre, […]
Nudie Cohn Gets Hall of Fame Exhibit; Mumford and Sons Debut New Song; Goat Rodeo Sessions on Colbert Report
Last week the Country Music Hall of Fame unveiled a spotlight exhibit dedicated to dazzling clothier Nudie Cohn. The exhibit will run through November 2012. Chris Parton of CMT spoke with Robert Ellis about his new, classic country-influenced album, Photographs. The Huffington Post featured an article on the Bluegrass Underground concert series, which is held […]
Taz DiGregorio Killed in Auto Accident; Buddy Miller is AMA Artist of the Year; Free Bluegrass in Dallas
Taz DiGregorio, vocalist and keyboardist in the Charlie Daniels Band (and co-writer of “The Devil Went Down to Georgia”) was killed in an automobile accident. He was a member of the CDB for four decades. Robert Plant, Buddy Miller, Justin Townes Earle, and Mumford and Sons all won awards at yesterday’s AMAs. Lucinda Williams, Jerry […]
Brad Paisley Pens Diary of a Player; Chris Thile & Michael Daves Thrill at Ellnora; New Songs from Emily West
Jim Lauderdale interviewed Kenny Vaughan about his new record in a video for American Songwriter. The Professional Bull Riders are teaming up with The McClymonts, hosting a contest in which people can enter for a chance to win a trip to Australia. The McClymonts will also be performing during the 2011 PBR World Finals in […]
Opry member Billy Grammer passed away yesterday. The Civil Wars, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, and Wye Oak make Paste‘s Top 20 current guy/gal musical pairings. Songwriting ace Darrell Scott’s new album Long Ride Home is coming out on October 11. Legendary session musician Hargus “Pig” Robbins appears on the album, as do Tim O’Brien, […]
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …