After last year’s stellar collaboration with The Waco Brothers, The Great Chicago Fire, singer-songwriter Paul Burch returns with Fevers, his debut on fledgling label Plowboy Records and his first solo release since 2011’s Buddy Holly tribute, Words of Love. Co-produced with multi-instrumentalist Fats Kaplin one of the original members of Burch’s WPA Ballclub band, Fevers […]
You’ve probably seen, hanging in some dive bar or hardware store or rec room, one of those signs that reads “There’s no other place exactly like this place anywhere near this place, so this must be the place.” Well, place matters in roots music—and not just by that process of elimination. Recent events, talks and […]
Labels large and small have opted for highly seasonal release calendars that have a slew of new records coming out between mid-August and mid-September, like school lunchboxes. So I’m taking this column to offer some quick views and previews of several handfuls I’ve found notable. (“CDs” doesn’t nail it any more, and “releases” is giving […]
Pokey LaFarge might have been born 70 years too late. The 29-year old singer-songwriter dresses like he wandered out of a speakeasy. But it’s not just his wardrobe that’s influenced by Prohibition Era America; his infectious sound blends jazz, blues, country and ragtime. For his first full-length album on Jack White’s Third Man Records, LaFarge […]
Randy Travis, Joe Nichols Perform at Chris Kyle’s Memorial; CMT Edge Premieres New Wayne Hancock Song; Album Releases
Ray Price’s cancer remains in remission. Out May 14: Plowboy Records’ You Don’t Know Me: Rediscovering Eddy Arnold. The tribute record features performances by Chuck Mead, Alejandro Escovedo, Pokey LaFarge, Mandy Barnett, Chris Scruggs, Mary Gauthier, and more. Randy Travis and Joe Nichols performed at the memorial service for Chris Kyle, the former Navy […]
When Santa Claus comes to town this year, surely his first stop is going to be East Nashville, where the spirit of Christmas shines brightly and where he’ll be able to dance and sing the night away in the midst of a thriving community of immensely gifted musicians. Producers Antonia Cove and Phil Harris have […]
George Strait Remembers Chris LeDoux; Rhonda Vincent Adds New Band Member; Top Country/Roots Guitarists
If you punch a lady in the face at a Chris Young show, he’ll throw you out while singing about it. 48 of the Indiana stage collapse victims have sued Sugarland and 12 other defendants. Hearth Music posted an interview with old-time banjo player Riley Baugus, whose work has appeared on the Cold Mountain soundtrack […]
Solemn news from Eddie Montgomery: “Yes, rumors have started,” said Eddie in a statement. ”And the truth is I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I will be undergoing surgery to remove the cancerous tumor in December. I will be back in January ready to rock for all the fans! Please keep my family […]
Kellie Pickler Announces Engagement; Loretta Lynn & Willie Nelson Recordings Enter Library of Congress
Kellie Pickler and songwriter Kyle Jacobs announced their engagement. Jacobs popped the question on June 15, the birthday of Pickler’s late grandmother. The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica recapped Tuesday night’s four-hour concert, “Nashville Rising: A Benefit for Flood Recovery,” which was hosted by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. There was even a surprise appearance […]
Rascal Flatts and Tim McGraw both got snubbed by the ACM Awards, but Chet Flippo thinks Jason Aldean is the biggest omission from the last of nominees and in his latest Nashville Skyline column he argues his case. His conclusion: So, take awards shows on their own terms, you know. Or ignore them completely. Just […]
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.