CMHOF to Open Tanya Tucker Exhibit; Lester Flatt Honored with Historical Marker; Reba to Headline “Dawn Sears and Friends” Benefit Show
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will open a new exhibit, Tanya Tucker: Strong Enough to Bend, on November 14. It’ll run through May 2015. David Cantwell’s No Depression piece on Lee Ann Womack is lengthy, but well worth your time. For one of his remaining Tennessean columns, Peter Cooper wrote about Scott […]
Vince Gill to Receive BMI Icon Award; HoF to Salute Billy Edd Wheeler; Drive-By Truckers Concert Film Due in November
Kenny Rogers and Little Big Town are two of the acts who’ll appear on Star-Spangled Spectacular: Bicentennial of our National Anthem this Saturday. The PBS program will be broadcast live from Baltimore. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will salute Billy Edd Wheeler as part of its “Poets & Prophets” series on October […]
Brad Paisley Plays Surprise Show in Afghanistan; Brain Implant Creates Johnny Cash Fan; Album Releases
Herb Jeffries, who starred in several black Westerns as a singing cowboy, sang with Duke Ellington, and released his own jazz albums, passed away on Sunday. He was believed to be 100 years old. Bucky Doster, a trombone player who toured with Glen Campbell and recorded with Johnny Cash and Brenda Lee, passed away last […]
The DC metro area boasts a rich bluegrass history thanks to groups like The Country Gentlemen and Johnson Mountain Boys, to name just two. But if the city were to erect a monument saluting local bluegrass, it’d probably depict The Seldom Scene, a band that’s influenced countless musicians in its 40-year history. The band has […]
ACM New Artist of the Year Semifinalists Announced; Chris Eldridge Scores Silent Film; Stream Bluesman Leo Welch’s Debut Album
The Academy of Country Music named eight semifinalists for their New Artist of the Year Award: Lee Brice, Brett Eldredge, Tyler Farr, Justin Moore, Kip Moore, Kacey Musgraves, Thomas Rhett, and Parmalee. The 2014 ACM Awards will be broadcast on CBS April 6. Punch Brother Chris Eldridge will provide the score for 1917 silent film […]
Stream New Willie & Dolly Duet; Chris Eldridge and Julian Lage Release EP; Peter Cooper Responds to Tom Petty’s Country Criticism
Rolling Stone premiered a new Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton duet from Nelson’s forthcoming duets record. Listen to their version of “From the Moon and Back” (written for the not-so-good Parton/Queen Latifah movie Joyful Noise, it’s the song that Dolly sings while she dances with Ghost Kristofferson) here. This is not news, but you need […]
Bankesters Offer Sneak Peek at New Album; Celebrate Louis Armstrong at Satchmo Summerfest; Is Cracker Barrel Country Music’s Starbucks?
Vince Gill and Paul Franklin talk gear with Premier Guitar. JD McPherson played a session for WEXT. Listen here. Our filmmaking pal Jeremy Dylan (remember that time we interviewed him about the Jim Lauderdale documentary?) finished a new project: a short documentary on the making of Australian country singer Jasmine Rae’s new record, If I […]
Ralph Stanley Announces Farewell Tour; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Names Director; Free Ashleigh Flynn Download
Ralph Stanley has announced that he’ll begin his final tour this October. The “Man of Constant Sorrow Tour: The Doctor’s Farewell” is scheduled to run through December 2014. (via press release) Jewly Hight visited Nashville’s Woodlawn Cemetery, where George Jones, Boudleaux and Felice Bryant, Tammy Wynette, Marty Robbins, Porter Wagoner, and many, many more are […]
Ray Benson Launches Kickstarter Campaign; Darius Rucker Inducted Into Opry; New SteelDrivers Album Due in February
The Farewell Drifters played a couple for the Bluegrass Situation. Darius Rucker was formally inducted into the Opry yesterday. Watch here. Ray Benson launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for the release of an Asleep at the Wheel documentary. Jewly Hight talks with Shelby Lynne about her evolution as an artist and the […]
Stream AMA Award Nominees Announcement; New Music From Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band; Miranda Lambert in Parade
Jeffrey Brown and WAMU Bluegrass Country’s Katy Daley discussed Doc Watson on last night’s PBS NewsHour. Tim Stafford and Andy Falco shared their memories of Doc. Ken Landreth posted several live recordings of Doc at Bill Monroe’s Bean Blossom festival in 1969 and 1971. There’s an interesting article in The Atlantic about the history of headphones. An […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.