Glen Campbell’s final recording, a song called “I’m Not Gonna Miss You,” will be released on September 30 as part of a five-song EP from the soundtrack of the documentary I’ll Be Me. The EP will also include a couple live songs recorded at the Ryman during Campbell’s farewell tour, daughter Ashley Campbell singing “Home […]
When the Cherryholmes family band went their separate musical ways last year, it seemed like it might be a while before we got to hear once more from Cia Cherryholmes, the talented banjo player who wrote a substantial chunk of the group’s material. But, thankfully, she hasn’t stayed gone for long, teaming up with singer-songwriter-guitarist-fly-fishing-guide […]
A Ball State college student became the sixth fatality in the Indiana State Fair stage collapse right before Sugarland was to take the stage. Jennifer Haskell had been hospitalized for severe head injuries. Her best friend was one of the other five fatalities. A roof center plug might be to blame for making the tarp […]
It seems like more people than ever are sporting tattoos; here are a few of my favorite country songs about ‘em (it must be said that an honorable mention goes to the opening lines of Lucinda Williams’ “Right in Time”). Are any of you sporting country music-themed ink? Show us your tats! 5. “Tattoo” – […]
The Cherryholmes are disbanding. Many of you have watched us from the beginning. You’ve seen our children grow into young adults. Though it is bittersweet, there comes a time in a family when seasons change. We’ve always known this season would come. Now that it has, we believe it is only right that our young […]
2010 has been an excellent year for bluegrass music. Whether your taste in bluegrass is traditional, progressive, or somewhere in between, you probably ended the year with an extensive playlist of new favorites. Here are our favorite bluegrass albums of the past year. Stylistically, these records are all over the spectrum. There are the usual […]
Love and Theft Drops to Duo Status; Billboard Adds Social 50 Chart; Edgar Loudermilk Releases Duet with Rhonda Vincent
From three to two, Love and Theft loses a member. Trace Adkins on John Rich‘s Celebrity Apprentice appearance: “After that first season, they came to me and said, ‘Who in country music should we go after?’ He was the first name that I told ‘em. I said, ‘You gotta get John Rich.’ He’s like a […]
Lady Anteblleum Leads Country Artists In Grammy Nods; Alan Jackson Fulfills Contract; Todd Snider Schedules Live Collection
As far as country artists go, Lady Antebellum came out on top during last night’s announcement of the Grammy nominees, scoring several nominations in all-genre categories. A diverse range of artists and entertainers represented the country genre though, including Zac Brown Band, Miranda Lambert, Jamey Johnson, Dailey & Vincent, Marty Stuart & Connie Smith, The […]
Family band Cherryholmes burst onto the scene seemingly out of nowhere in 2005 with the release of their first album for Skaggs Family Records; that year they also won the IBMA Entertainer of the Year award. Five years later, the Cherryholmes family—Jere, Sandy, Cia, Skip, B.J., and Molly—are still one of music’s most entertaining acts […]
Remember that tour The 9513 sponsored last year that featured the stories and songs of Drew Kennedy and Rodney Hayden? New American Voices, it was called. It was such a positive experience that we’ve all decided to do it again, and this time Drew and Rodney are taking their music to mostly new areas further […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...