Reba, Brooks & Dunn Announce Vegas Residency; Ian McLagan Passes Away; Punch Brothers Release New Song
Ian McLagan passed away yesterday in his adopted hometown of Austin. He was 69 years old. The New York Times’ obit focuses on Small Faces and his work with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, and Bruce Springsteen, but he also played keys on numerous country and roots records: in the last couple years, he appeared on recordings […]
Chelle Rose posted her demo version of the John Prine-penned “Angel from Montgomery.” Crystal Shawanda updated her “Under the Influence” video series with her take on Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy.” Jewly Hight interviewed the duo Johnnyswim about their new holiday EP, A Johnnyswim Christmas. Hank Williams is in the number two spot on CMT’s All-Time Top 40. In […]
Update: Brandy Clark has signed with Warner Bros. Records. Cole Swindell will release a new EP called Down Home Sessions on November 17. Garth Brooks came in at No. 6 on CMT’s All-Time Top 40: Artists’ Choice. Garth also fell on his moving stage in Kentucky last Friday. If he’s not careful, he’s going to break a […]
Garth Brooks unveiled the title and cover of his upcoming Pearl/RCA Nashville album. Man Against Machine will be released on November 11. In other Brooks news, four scheduled Minneapolis shows have now exploded into ten. And last in your Garth news trifecta, Cleveland.com’s Troy Smith wonders whether Brooks has a shot at induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of […]
More than 350 songs were on this year’s ballot. We cut the list to just our top 60, though it easily could have been a Top 100 countdown. What were your favorite songs of the past year? You can listen to a Spotify playlist of the available songs here. 60. Bucky Covington — “A Father’s […]
It’s been a fantastic year for country and roots/Americana music, and it was no easy task for us to narrow down the list of albums released in 2012 to just a few favorites, but, after a few weeks of voting, here’s what we came up with. Honorable Mentions that missed the cut by just a […]
Grammy Nominations Announced; New Videos from Don Williams, Hunter Hayes; Chelle Rose, The Mavericks Added to SXSW Roster
The Grammy nominees were announced last night. Taylor Swift and Mumford and Sons were nominated for Record of the Year and Album of the Year, respectively. You can read the entire list of nominations here. Best Country Solo Performance Dierks Bentley, “Home” Eric Church, “Springsteen” Ronnie Dunn, “Cost of Livin’” Hunter Hayes, “Wanted” Blake Shelton, […]
Susanna Clark, songwriter, artist, and wife of Guy Clark, passed away at the age of 73. Here’s a lovely remembrance from Terry Roland posted on No Depression. Iris DeMent talks about her new album, Sing the Delta (out Oct. 2), with Billboard, where you can also hear the title track. Kenny Chesney’s Welcome to the Fishbowl […]
Clear Channel and Big Machine Cut a Deal; New Willie Nelson Video; National Museum of American History Presents Civil War Music
Clear Channel and Big Machine cut a deal “that represents a major bet that radio’s future is online rather than over the air…Under the new accord, Big Machine and its artists will collect royalties when their songs are played on broadcast radio stations, something that has never been part of the U.S. royalty system but […]
May was a good month for fans of country and roots music, with new albums from folks like Sara Watkins, The Brothers Comatose, Loafers’ Glory, and others. Here are my five favorite records of the past month. What are yours? 5. The Two Man Gentlemen Band – Two at a Time Influenced by prewar jazz […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.