CMT Awards Winners Announced; Vince Gill & Paul Franklin’s Bakersfield Due 7/30; Best American Roots Song Category Added to Grammys
The CMT Awards were held last night (you can stream the whole thing if you missed it). Here are the winners: Video of the Year: Carrie Underwood, “Blown Away” Male Video of the Year: Blake Shelton, “Sure Be Cool if You Did” Female Video of the Year: Miranda Lambert, “Mama’s Broken Heart” Group Video of […]
Whether you’re a fan of traditional, progressive, or any and all other permutations of bluegrass music, chances are you found a few favorite new albums this past year. Here are our Top 20 bluegrass records of 2011. 20. Farewell Drifters – Echo Boom Drawing equally on John Hartford and The Beatles, The Farewell Drifters are […]
Rosetta Tharpe Honored; Della Mae Plans Webcast of CD Release Party; Stream New Miranda Lambert Song
Billy Barton, who wrote “A Dear John Letter,” passed away earlier this month at the age of 81. Loretta Lynn is out of the hospital and resting at home as she recovers from pneumonia. She plans to hit the road again on November 3. Rosetta Tharpe will be honored by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum […]
There are several songs about acting in general—Merle Haggard’s “Bad Actor” and Buck Owens’ “Act Naturally”—are two that quickly come to mind, but today we’ll get a little more specific. 5. “Ashley Judd” – Charlie Sizemore This dryly humorous bluegrass tune is from Sizemore’s new album Heartache Looking for a Home. Her mother may be […]
Miranda Lambert joined the company of Pat Green and Willie Nelson as the only artists to ever sellout back-to-back nights at Billy Bob’s Texas — another sign in a long list that illustrates her arrival. The scary part, says DFW’s Preston Jones, is she’s just getting warmed up. Dallas Observer’s Dave Herrera echoes those sentiments. […]
Matraca Berg Schedules First Album in 14 Years; New Album Release List; Zac Brown Band Releases New Video
On May 17, Matraca Berg will release The Dreaming Fields, her first album in 14 years. (via press release) With The Dreaming Fields, she not only evokes the seminal records she was raised on, she fearlessly looks towards life and tragic resolution of a battered woman (“If I Had Wings”), the devastating beauty fading into […]
Here’s 20 of country music’s best hotel and motel songs. Apologies for excluding Neal McCoy’s “Hillbilly Rap.” Honorable Mentions: Cadillac Sky – “Motel Morning” David Houston – “No Tell Motel” Eagles – “Hotel California” Gene Watson – “Love in the Hot Afternoon” Guy Clark – “Lone Star Hotel” Jack Ingram & Jerry Jeff Walker – […]
Country Music Hall Includes Contemporary Artists; Carrie Underwood Variety Show Tonight; Do Grammys Get Bluegrass?
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum plans to update its main exhibit next May with a display dedicated to contemporary artists like Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift, and Keith Urban along with another cased dedicated to Americana and contemporary bluegrass music. The Carrie Underwood hosted variety show “An All-Star Holiday Special” airs tonight. Trace […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.