CMT Awards Winners Announced; Vince Gill & Paul Franklin’s Bakersfield Due 7/30; Best American Roots Song Category Added to Grammys
The CMT Awards were held last night (you can stream the whole thing if you missed it). Here are the winners: Video of the Year: Carrie Underwood, “Blown Away” Male Video of the Year: Blake Shelton, “Sure Be Cool if You Did” Female Video of the Year: Miranda Lambert, “Mama’s Broken Heart” Group Video of […]
Whether you’re a fan of traditional, progressive, or any and all other permutations of bluegrass music, chances are you found a few favorite new albums this past year. Here are our Top 20 bluegrass records of 2011. 20. Farewell Drifters – Echo Boom Drawing equally on John Hartford and The Beatles, The Farewell Drifters are […]
Rosetta Tharpe Honored; Della Mae Plans Webcast of CD Release Party; Stream New Miranda Lambert Song
Billy Barton, who wrote “A Dear John Letter,” passed away earlier this month at the age of 81. Loretta Lynn is out of the hospital and resting at home as she recovers from pneumonia. She plans to hit the road again on November 3. Rosetta Tharpe will be honored by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum […]
There are several songs about acting in general—Merle Haggard’s “Bad Actor” and Buck Owens’ “Act Naturally”—are two that quickly come to mind, but today we’ll get a little more specific. 5. “Ashley Judd” – Charlie Sizemore This dryly humorous bluegrass tune is from Sizemore’s new album Heartache Looking for a Home. Her mother may be […]
Miranda Lambert joined the company of Pat Green and Willie Nelson as the only artists to ever sellout back-to-back nights at Billy Bob’s Texas — another sign in a long list that illustrates her arrival. The scary part, says DFW’s Preston Jones, is she’s just getting warmed up. Dallas Observer’s Dave Herrera echoes those sentiments. […]
Matraca Berg Schedules First Album in 14 Years; New Album Release List; Zac Brown Band Releases New Video
On May 17, Matraca Berg will release The Dreaming Fields, her first album in 14 years. (via press release) With The Dreaming Fields, she not only evokes the seminal records she was raised on, she fearlessly looks towards life and tragic resolution of a battered woman (“If I Had Wings”), the devastating beauty fading into […]
Here’s 20 of country music’s best hotel and motel songs. Apologies for excluding Neal McCoy’s “Hillbilly Rap.” Honorable Mentions: Cadillac Sky – “Motel Morning” David Houston – “No Tell Motel” Eagles – “Hotel California” Gene Watson – “Love in the Hot Afternoon” Guy Clark – “Lone Star Hotel” Jack Ingram & Jerry Jeff Walker – […]
Country Music Hall Includes Contemporary Artists; Carrie Underwood Variety Show Tonight; Do Grammys Get Bluegrass?
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum plans to update its main exhibit next May with a display dedicated to contemporary artists like Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift, and Keith Urban along with another cased dedicated to Americana and contemporary bluegrass music. The Carrie Underwood hosted variety show “An All-Star Holiday Special” airs tonight. Trace […]
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.