CMT Awards Winners Announced; Vince Gill & Paul Franklin’s Bakersfield Due 7/30; Best American Roots Song Category Added to Grammys
The CMT Awards were held last night (you can stream the whole thing if you missed it). Here are the winners: Video of the Year: Carrie Underwood, “Blown Away” Male Video of the Year: Blake Shelton, “Sure Be Cool if You Did” Female Video of the Year: Miranda Lambert, “Mama’s Broken Heart” Group Video of […]
Whether you’re a fan of traditional, progressive, or any and all other permutations of bluegrass music, chances are you found a few favorite new albums this past year. Here are our Top 20 bluegrass records of 2011. 20. Farewell Drifters – Echo Boom Drawing equally on John Hartford and The Beatles, The Farewell Drifters are […]
Rosetta Tharpe Honored; Della Mae Plans Webcast of CD Release Party; Stream New Miranda Lambert Song
Billy Barton, who wrote “A Dear John Letter,” passed away earlier this month at the age of 81. Loretta Lynn is out of the hospital and resting at home as she recovers from pneumonia. She plans to hit the road again on November 3. Rosetta Tharpe will be honored by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum […]
There are several songs about acting in general—Merle Haggard’s “Bad Actor” and Buck Owens’ “Act Naturally”—are two that quickly come to mind, but today we’ll get a little more specific. 5. “Ashley Judd” – Charlie Sizemore This dryly humorous bluegrass tune is from Sizemore’s new album Heartache Looking for a Home. Her mother may be […]
Miranda Lambert joined the company of Pat Green and Willie Nelson as the only artists to ever sellout back-to-back nights at Billy Bob’s Texas — another sign in a long list that illustrates her arrival. The scary part, says DFW’s Preston Jones, is she’s just getting warmed up. Dallas Observer’s Dave Herrera echoes those sentiments. […]
Matraca Berg Schedules First Album in 14 Years; New Album Release List; Zac Brown Band Releases New Video
On May 17, Matraca Berg will release The Dreaming Fields, her first album in 14 years. (via press release) With The Dreaming Fields, she not only evokes the seminal records she was raised on, she fearlessly looks towards life and tragic resolution of a battered woman (“If I Had Wings”), the devastating beauty fading into […]
Here’s 20 of country music’s best hotel and motel songs. Apologies for excluding Neal McCoy’s “Hillbilly Rap.” Honorable Mentions: Cadillac Sky – “Motel Morning” David Houston – “No Tell Motel” Eagles – “Hotel California” Gene Watson – “Love in the Hot Afternoon” Guy Clark – “Lone Star Hotel” Jack Ingram & Jerry Jeff Walker – […]
Country Music Hall Includes Contemporary Artists; Carrie Underwood Variety Show Tonight; Do Grammys Get Bluegrass?
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum plans to update its main exhibit next May with a display dedicated to contemporary artists like Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift, and Keith Urban along with another cased dedicated to Americana and contemporary bluegrass music. The Carrie Underwood hosted variety show “An All-Star Holiday Special” airs tonight. Trace […]
- jenny patrick: my favorite part of autumn is the smell of a bonfire to roast weiners and marshmallows on .
- jeanie kinman: My favorite part of Autumn is all the festivals with bands playing Bluegrass music..Come on down to Ky Joe Mullins …
- Keith Saterwhite: My favorite part of Autumn are the beautiful colors on the trees, here in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains.
- phillip Martinez: Thanks Joe, for always the great music.
- Martin DeSimio: Fresh apple cider.
- Jessica Whited: My favorite part of autumn is the chance to have bonfires with my friends and family.
- Sandy Kapphahn: Love the fall colors!
- Erik North: Caitlin Rose has become one of my favorite female singers of any genre in this century; and I think her …
- Sandy Chatfield: My favorite part of autumn.....football!
- Teresa McGraw: My favorite part of Autumn is pulling out the sweaters.