Another sign the country music apocalypse is descending upon us all: Aerosmith has been named as one of the 40 most influential acts that shaped the lives of today’s biggest country stars. Linda Martell, the first African-American woman to perform on the Grand Ole Opry stage, will have her 1970 vinyl album, Color Me Country, […]
Vote on Vanguard’s Record Store Day Releases; Alan Jackson Tops Bluegrass Charts; Travelin’ McCourys Announce Midwest Tour Dates
You can vote on the albums Vanguard Records will reissue for next year’s Record Store Day. Your options include releases by Doc Watson, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, Odetta, and many others. This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix includes The Devil Makes Three, Brian Wright, Elephant Revival, and many more. Check out this Kacey Musgraves/2Pac […]
Reserve Records to Reissue George Jones’ Debut LP; Stream Lindi Ortega’s Tin Star; Filmmaker Raises Funds for Prisonaires Documentary
Stream Lindi Ortega’s new record, Tin Star, before its October 8 release date. Keith Urban presented a $300,000 check to The Navy SEAL Foundation. Chrissie Dickinson of The Chicago Tribune wrote a feature on Brennen Leigh and Noel McKay. On October 15, Reserve Records will reissue George Jones’ 1957 debut LP, Grand Ole Opry’s New Star. Preview it […]
USPS to Release Ray Charles Stamp; Planet Bluegrass Affected by Colorado Floods; New Sarah Jarosz Video
Ray Dolby died yesterday at age 80. Here’s the New York Times obituary. The Colorado flooding has left Planet Bluegrass (in Lyons, CO) underwater. Good guys The Infamous Stringdusters are donating $2 from every ticket sold for tonight’s show in Denver to Planet Bluegrass. Lynn Anderson was interviewed by Country Universe’s Ben Foster. Jody Rosen […]
A&E Picks Up Country Music Reality Show; New Buck Owens Compilation and Book Due in November; HoF to Open Terri Clark Exhibit
Out November 5 on Omnivore Recordings: Buck ‘Em! The Music of Buck Owens (1955-1967). The two-disc collection will be released as a companion to Buck ’Em! The Autobiography of Buck Owens by Buck Owens with Randy Poe. A&E has picked up the reality series Crazy Hearts: Nashville. A premiere date has not been determined; however, the show “will […]
Songwriter and comedian Don Bowman passed away on Wednesday at the age of 75. (h/t Janice Brooks) Earlier this week, a plaque was placed at Nashville’s Woodlawn Cemetery to announce the forthcoming construction of a George Jones monument. CMT posted My Darling Clementine’s Possum tribute, “The Gospel According to George.” The Defibulators’ new video premiered […]
We did a Springsteen Friday Five on The 9513 three years ago, but there are so many good covers that it’s time for a second volume. Bonus Track: Trisha Yearwood — “Sad Eyes” Okay, this one made the last Springsteen Friday Five, but it’s so good I’ve got to post it again. Double Bonus […]
Our own Karlie recently got engaged, so we thought we’d whip up a Friday Five in honor of the happy couple and their impending nuptials. Also, we’re too cheap to buy an actual wedding present. Best wishes to Karlie and Ben; may you have a lifetime of love, happiness, and pedal steel. 5. Martina McBride […]
Jamey Johnson Celebrates Gold; Forthcoming Country Music Book Releases; Miranda Moves Billy Bob’s Crowd
Jamey Johnson celebrated the success of The Guitar Song, which was certified Gold, on Friday. The Star-Telegram’s Preston Jones ranks Miranda Lambert‘s performance of “The House That Built Me” at Billy Bob’s Texas on Friday night as one of the most moving concert moments he’s experienced. As she spoke about growing up in small-town Texas, […]
Watch Lyle Lovett on ‘Austin City Limits’ Tomorrow; Remembering Charlie Louvin; New Site Helps Indie Bluegrass Bands
Ed Crowell covered the taping of the last Austin City Limits show at Studio 6A for the Austin American-Statesman. It will air on Saturday. Alison Krauss, who has a new album titled Paper Airplanes scheduled for an April release, on whether she listens to the melody or lyrics first when choosing new songs: Lyrics, usually. […]
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …