Vote on Vanguard’s Record Store Day Releases; Alan Jackson Tops Bluegrass Charts; Travelin’ McCourys Announce Midwest Tour Dates
You can vote on the albums Vanguard Records will reissue for next year’s Record Store Day. Your options include releases by Doc Watson, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, Odetta, and many others. This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix includes The Devil Makes Three, Brian Wright, Elephant Revival, and many more. Check out this Kacey Musgraves/2Pac […]
Reserve Records to Reissue George Jones’ Debut LP; Stream Lindi Ortega’s Tin Star; Filmmaker Raises Funds for Prisonaires Documentary
Stream Lindi Ortega’s new record, Tin Star, before its October 8 release date. Keith Urban presented a $300,000 check to The Navy SEAL Foundation. Chrissie Dickinson of The Chicago Tribune wrote a feature on Brennen Leigh and Noel McKay. On October 15, Reserve Records will reissue George Jones’ 1957 debut LP, Grand Ole Opry’s New Star. Preview it […]
USPS to Release Ray Charles Stamp; Planet Bluegrass Affected by Colorado Floods; New Sarah Jarosz Video
Ray Dolby died yesterday at age 80. Here’s the New York Times obituary. The Colorado flooding has left Planet Bluegrass (in Lyons, CO) underwater. Good guys The Infamous Stringdusters are donating $2 from every ticket sold for tonight’s show in Denver to Planet Bluegrass. Lynn Anderson was interviewed by Country Universe’s Ben Foster. Jody Rosen […]
A&E Picks Up Country Music Reality Show; New Buck Owens Compilation and Book Due in November; HoF to Open Terri Clark Exhibit
Out November 5 on Omnivore Recordings: Buck ‘Em! The Music of Buck Owens (1955-1967). The two-disc collection will be released as a companion to Buck ’Em! The Autobiography of Buck Owens by Buck Owens with Randy Poe. A&E has picked up the reality series Crazy Hearts: Nashville. A premiere date has not been determined; however, the show “will […]
Songwriter and comedian Don Bowman passed away on Wednesday at the age of 75. (h/t Janice Brooks) Earlier this week, a plaque was placed at Nashville’s Woodlawn Cemetery to announce the forthcoming construction of a George Jones monument. CMT posted My Darling Clementine’s Possum tribute, “The Gospel According to George.” The Defibulators’ new video premiered […]
We did a Springsteen Friday Five on The 9513 three years ago, but there are so many good covers that it’s time for a second volume. Bonus Track: Trisha Yearwood — “Sad Eyes” Okay, this one made the last Springsteen Friday Five, but it’s so good I’ve got to post it again. Double Bonus […]
Our own Karlie recently got engaged, so we thought we’d whip up a Friday Five in honor of the happy couple and their impending nuptials. Also, we’re too cheap to buy an actual wedding present. Best wishes to Karlie and Ben; may you have a lifetime of love, happiness, and pedal steel. 5. Martina McBride […]
Leo Tolstoy’s famous beginning of Anna Karenina, “Happy families are all alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way” can certainly be applied to country music, a genre known for—among other things—its extensive library of songs about various depressing things. Often it’s these unhappy songs that fascinate listeners the most. After all, how […]
- Leeann Ward: I'll just go ahead and say it. I was impressed with how well Carrie did with the singing. I'm a …
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.