Blues musician David “Honeyboy” Edwards passed away yesterday at the age of 96. Miranda Lambert moves to RCA Nashville as part of Sony Music Nashville’s restructuring. In other Miranda news, on her Dateline special, she talked about falling in love with a married Blake Shelton (and his mullet). No charges have been filed after federal […]
Between his actress wife, family ties to a country superstar du jour and pop music background, it’s easy to be a little suspicious of Josh Kelley’s stab at a career comeback via country music. Kelley, married to Katherine Heigl and brother to Lady Antebellum’s Charles Kelley, saw a short-lived run up the Hot Adult Top […]
Lady Antebellum Leads Grammy Winners; Brandon Rhyder Covers Don Williams; The Infamous Stringdusters Live Session
With five wins, Lady Antebellum came out on top at last night’s Grammys. Other winners in the countryish categories included: Diamond Rio (southern, country or bluegrass gospel album), Patty Griffin (traditional gospel album), Patty Loveless (bluegrass album), Keith Urban (best male country vocal performance), Zac Brown Band/Alan Jackson (country collaboration with vocals), Marty Stuart (country […]
The Peasall Sisters are parting ways. The Recording Academy’s first round of confirmed performers for the Grammy Awards includes Miranda Lambert. For this week’s Nashville Skyline, Chet Flippo reviewed the new Rodney Crowell memoir, Chinaberry Sidewalks. Kelly Dearmore published a brief Q&A with Jack Ingram. Dale Watson on his penchant for drinking songs: “I only […]
Songwriters: Tom Douglas, Tony Lane and David Lee Where are Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler when you need them? With its stylistically studied and self-serious approach, super-group Lady Antebellum’s latest single “Hello World” would work better as fodder for the punny pair–or any other comedic duo–as a left-of-the-mark Saturday Night Live skit than a pseudo-inspirational […]
‘American Idol’ Targets Shania; Reba Announces New Album; Jamey Johnson Talks About ‘The Guitar Song’
A source with apparent knowledge of the search for new American Idol judges named Shania Twain as a possible candidate. Austin Music Source’s John T. Davis recapped night one and night two of Butch Hancock‘s five-night No Two More Alike concert series at the Cactus Cafe. Hancock, like his songs, looked more or less ageless, […]
With her win at last night’s ACM Awards, Carrie Underwood became the first woman to win entertainer of the year twice. Other notable facts from the ACM Awards website: Brad Paisley is the only artist to win three or more consecutive honors in the top male vocalist of the year category (last night was his […]
Joe Galante’s Departure; Lyric Street Closing; Blake Shelton Lands Record Fish; Rodney Hayden & Friends Lineup
Sony Music Nashville head honcho Joe Galante — the man responsible for launching/guiding the careers of acts like Kenny Chesney, Martina McBride, Chris Young, Carrie Underwood, and many more — announced his plans to leave the company after a nearly 40-year career. Galante is expected to assist his replacement, Gary Overton, transition into his CEO […]
Billy Joe Shaver Acquitted; Willie Nelson’s Band Still Being Pursued; Jason Boland’s Band Knows the Feeling
Billy Joe Shaver was acquitted of aggravated assault charges on Friday in a trial that played out like a script from a would-be, hit television show. Austin American Statesman‘s Steven Kreytak has a recap of the trial and Waco Tribune-Herald staff writer Erin Quinn kept a live blog of the events. How does Shaver feel […]
Why does Nashville Star start again? Because it has slightly better ratings than an Oxy Clean infomercial. — Jim What does “we’re having an Indian Summer” mean? It means you’ve just been extradited from a place you’ve been living for hundreds of years. — Pierce What is the meaning of “Wild at Heart” by Gloriana? […]
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …