Making year-end lists of best books is an exercise at once exciting and frustrating. Listing the best books of the year helps recall fondly those great books that revealed new information about an artist or his or her music or drives you to pick a again a book that you didn’t want to end the […]
The Carter Family is essential to understanding the roots of country music, not just its foundation in Appalachian balladry but also its great emphasis on the modest pleasure of faith, family, and home. Not quite as mythic as the lives of Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, or blackface minstrel Emmett Miller, the story of A.P., Sara, […]
Americana Festival Celebrates Best Year to Date; Toby Keith Surprises Military Wife; New Videos from Paul Thorn, Tift Merritt
Jim Lauderdale is The Bluegrass Situation’s Artist of the Month. This year’s Americana Music Festival and Conference was the most successful one to date. Next year’s shindig will be held September 18-22. Gretchen Peters will perform at National Plug In Day, a celebration of electric cars, in Nashville this weekend. Ryan Bingham chatted with Michael […]
Claire Lynch signed with Compass Records. Her Compass debut will be released in early 2013. (via press release) Zac Brown Band’s The Foundation went triple platinum. Hunter Hayes’ “Wanted” and Toby Keith’s “As Good As I Once Was” have both gone platinum, and Carrie Underwood’s “Blown Away” has been certified gold. Bruce Springsteen is a fan […]
Carrie Underwood Speaks Out in Support of Gay Marriage; The Trishas’ Full-Length Debut Album Due Aug. 7; Album Releases
Carrie Underwood spoke out in support of gay marriage during an interview with The Independent. This week, the music video for Glen Campbell’s “A Better Place” will be released. It’ll “offer a retrospective look at Campbell’s career, and will feature a cameo by Queens of the Stone Age frontman Joshua Homme.” The producers of The […]
Carter Family Documentary Needs Kickstarting; Reba’s Sitcom Pilot Picked Up By ABC; New Music Videos
Jack Ingram unveiled new song called “Right for You.” Carrie Underwood and Jimmy Kimmel teamed up to do a mock music video called “Before You Freak.” The Kickstarter campaign for The Winding Stream, a documentary about the Carter Family, is in the home stretch but still needs funds for post-production. The Grammy Museum, the Experience […]
Stream Mercyland Compilation; Lionel Richie’s Tuskegee Tops Billboard’s Hot 100; Driving Virginia’s Crooked Road Music Heritage Trail
Dick Clark passed away yesterday. Clark had several ties to country music, including the country show he hosted in the early ‘50s, Cactus Dick and the Santa Fe Riders. Stream Mercyland: Hymns for the Rest of Us, a fantastic compilation featuring Emmylou Harris, Buddy Miller, the Carolina Chocolate Drops, and more. For all the roadtrippers […]
Record Store Day Reissues; Martina McBride Names “Marry Me” Next Single; Skeeter Davis Named Kentucky Music Hall of Fame Inductee
The duet “Marry Me” will be the next single off Martina McBride’s Eleven. The Carter Family’s recording of “Keep on the Sunny Side” made Paste’s “20 Happy Songs About Sunshine” playlist. The Band Perry is working on material for a new album and writing with folks like Sheryl Crow. Bob Dylan is also working on […]
A must-read profile of writer and musicologist Colin Escott. There’s a new General Manager/Senior VP at Sugar Hill Records. Get the Bloodshot summer sampler for free dollars. Dale Watson isn’t so fond of Australian airline Tiger Airways. Blake Shelton got his first #1 album on the Billboard 200. Hunter Hayes buys Taylor Swift an iPod […]
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.