Aubrey Preston, the new owner of Studio A, discusses his plans for the building in an interview with The Tennessean’s Nate Rau: The first step, which will be consummated on Dec. 31 when Preston’s nonprofit group AMT Trust closes on the sale, was to put the property in a “safe harbor.” AMT Trust contracted to […]
Many artists across Nashville and beyond are mourning the passing of Station Inn fixture Ann Soyars. She was 67. Gretchen Peters unveiled “When All You Got Is a Hammer” from forthcoming album Blackbirds (out February 10). The 20th Annual ICM Faith, Family and Country Awards were held late last week in Nashville. Chuck Hancock, Russ Murphy, Carrie Underwood, Alan […]
Here’s Will Hoge’s new video for “Middle of America.” Barry Mazor talked about Ralph Peer on Marketplace the other day. Listen here. Garth Brooks played a free show in San Francisco yesterday. (warning: autoplay) This is nice: during one of Garth’s Minneapolis shows, he serenaded a fan who has been battling cancer, then gave her his […]
CMA Awards Winners Announced; Vince Gill Receives Irving Waugh Award; CMHOF to Host Ralph Peer Program
Last night’s CMA Award winners: Irving Waugh Award of Excellence – Vince Gill (Gill is only the second person to receive this award. The only other honoree: Johnny Cash.) Entertainer of the Year: Luke Bryan Album of the Year: Miranda Lambert — Platinum Song of the Year: Kacey Musgraves, Brandy Clark and Shane McAnally — […]
Vince Gill Receives BMI Icon Award; Whitey Morgan & The 78s Announce Live Album; Palomino Launches Blackwing Music
A couple CMA Awards were announced this morning so that tonight’s show has more time for Meghan Trainor and Ariana Grande, apparently. Musical Event of the Year went to Keith Urban and Miranda Lambert’s “We Were Us” and Dierks Bentley’s “Drunk on a Plane” won Video of the Year. Last night Vince Gill was honored with […]
IBMA Award Winners Announced; Underwood, Zac Brown Band to Perform at Veteran’s Day Concert in DC; Vince Gill on Ice
The winners of yesterday’s IBMA Awards (click through for the Momentum Awards and Special Awards winners, which were announced prior to last night’s awards show): Hall of Fame Inductees: The Seldom Scene, Neil Rosenberg Entertainer of the Year: Balsam Range Instrumental Group of the Year: Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Vocal Group of the Year: Balsam […]
Jim Ed Brown Diagnosed with Lung Cancer; Glen Campbell Sued Over Documentary; Holly Williams Welcomes Daughter
Jim Ed Brown revealed in a video he posted on his Facebook page that he has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Doctors have asked him to take a four-month break from the road in order to focus on chemo and radiation treatments. (warning: autoplay) Glen Campbell’s getting sued over I’ll Be Me, the documentary about […]
George Jones Museum Planned for Nashville’s Second Ave.; Additional CMA Awards Performers Announced; Album Releases
Best wishes to Elizabeth Cook, who’s “reluctantly agreeing to hit the pause button and recalibrate” after a stretch that included the loss of both parents, a divorce, and a busy touring and radio show schedule. The Save Studio A group released an independent report on the state of the building, which current owners Bravo Development […]
Neil Young, Carrie Underwood Announce New Albums; Tootsie’s Plans Birthday Bash; Bankesters Release Video
Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge will celebrate its 54th birthday with a block party on November 12; performers at the event will include Terri Clark and Chuck Wicks. Neil Young will release a new album, Storeytone, in November. Listen to new song “Who’s Gonna Stand Up,” which Young recorded with a 92-piece orchestra. Jason Aldean got engaged […]
Stream Dead Man’s Town; Blues HoF on Schedule for May 2015 Opening; Lee Ann Womack Releases New Video
The ACM Honors Ceremony was held at the Ryman last night. Toby Keith and Ronnie Milsap received Career Achievement Awards, Carrie Underwood took home the Gene Weed Special Achievement Award, Steve Buchanan and Rascal Flatts got the Jim Reeves International Award, and Jack Clement, Dean Dillon, Buck Owens, and Kris Kristofferson were honored with the […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...