“Sunday Morning Coming Down,” “A Boy Named Sue,” “I Can’t Make You Love Me,” “Heartbreak Hotel,” and “Tim McGraw” were all mentioned in Mental Floss’ video of “33 Fascinating Songwriting Stories.” Kelly Willis posted a video of her, Bruce Robison, and their band playing “Harper Valley PTA.” It rules. CMT Edge posted an interview with […]
Cowboy Jack Clement Passes Away; Loretta Lynn to Receive Presidential Medal of Freedom; Larry Cordle Duets Album Due in October
The legendary Cowboy Jack Clement passed away from liver cancer yesterday at the age of 82. The New York Times, The Washington Post, The 615, and CMT all published obituaries, but if you only read one, it should be the one Peter Cooper wrote. Barry Mazor wrote about Clement in a January Roots Watch: Jack’s […]
Gill, Gatlin to Headline Johnny Cash Music Festival; Carlene Carter Finishes Album; New Music Videos
Carlene Carter announced on Twitter that she has just finished recording her next album and mixing it with Don Was and Bob Clearmountain. No word yet on a release date. Becky Schlegel will be releasing a brand new album called Opry Lullaby on September 1. You can listen to the outstanding title track here. Craig […]
Brenda Lee Sampled on New Kanye West Record; Shovels & Rope, Stringdusters Announce Tour Dates; Album Releases
All 80,000+ tickets for Toby Keith’s Oklahoma Twister Relief Concert sold out in 2 ½ hours. Brenda Lee was sampled on Kanye West’s new record, Yeezus. When talking with the Tennessean’s Dave Paulson about it, Lee said, “My goodness, it’s nice to be recognized.” She is the best. Kris Kristofferson, Jamey Johnson, Asleep at the […]
The legendary Kitty Wells passed away yesterday at the age of 92. These lengthy obituaries from the Washington Post, New York Times, Tennessean, MusicRow, NPR, and CMT.com are all worth reading. Bassist Bob Babbitt, who played on classics like Gladys Knight & The Pips’ “Midnight Train to Georgia” and appeared on albums by Frank Sinatra, Elton […]
Faith Hill to Join the Pretenders for ‘Crossroads’; New Album Releases; Court Yard Hounds Schedule Live Web Chat
On Feb. 5, the night before the Super Bowl, Faith Hill and The Pretenders will team up for a live episode of CMT Crossroads. The success of “Somewhere With You” earned Kenny Chesney his 21st No. 1 single. Preview “Mountain Home,” the title track to Owen Temple‘s next album. Vote: The 2011 LoneStarMusic Awards In […]
Merle Haggard canceled the remaining five dates of his current tour because of head and neck pain. Groover’s Paradise recommended “Foggy Mountain Top” from Carlene Carter and provided audio for her version and The Carter Family version for comparison. In a case of the rich getting richer, Los Angeles’ honky-tonk king Mike Stinson left California […]
Brad Paisley won ACM Awards in two categories that were announced early: video of the year and vocal event of the year. Paisley won the video category for his video featuring Andy Griffith in “Waitin’ on a Woman” and the vocal event was awarded to Paisley and Keith Urban for their duet on “Start a […]
For the fifth consecutive year, a panel of more than 215 nightclubs and dance instructors throughout the country were surveyed to find the most requested and played country dance club songs of 2008. Country Music Is Love shared the results as announced by Marco Club Connection. For an article in the Los Angeles Chronicle, Tom […]
The New Republic caused a stir yesterday by announcing that Tim McGraw was seriously considering a gubernatorial run in the state of Tennessee for 2010, but Music City TV‘s Brad Schmitt was told it ain’t gonna happen. If, or when, McGraw decides to throw his shiny, black cowboy hat into the gubernatorial political race he […]
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …