John Rich Makes ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ Cast; The Steel Wheels Ask Fans For Help; Eric Brace/Peter Cooper Produce Tom T. Hall Tribute
It’s official: John Rich will be on the upcoming season of Celebrity Apprentice. Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran on Friday night’s George Strait/Reba McEntire/Lee Ann Womack show, which set a record for the Erwin Center: Though this seemed like a double headlined show on paper, Strait and his aptly named Ace In the Hole Band, […]
Goodnight Lane marks Colin Gilmore’s first album in about five years, but it’s hard to say that he hasn’t been keeping himself busy in the interim. Between touring on his own and opening for the likes of Alejandro Escovedo, Mason Jennings and The Flatlanders (featuring his dad, Jimmie Dale Gilmore), Gilmore spent the last year […]
Brooks & Dunn Cap Hall of Fame-Worthy Career; Ashley Monroe Signs New Deal; Carrie Underwood Snubbery
Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn capped their nearly 20-year career together last Thursday with “Brand New Man,” the same song that helped launch them way back in 1991. Watch a lo-fi video on YouTube (via That Nashville Sound). GAC’s Tom Roland says the show didn’t feel as final as it could have and declares the […]
Being the gracious guy that he is, Kenny Chesney wanted to give something extra to the fans with his upcoming release, Hemingway’s Whiskey. That something extra will take the form of two bonus tracks and a 30-minute DVD that includes video of an in-depth conversation with Chesney about each of the songs on a Deluxe […]
Peach Pickers In High Demand; Butch Hancock Closes Out ‘Iconic Years’ At Cactus Cafe; Bad ‘Carrie-Oke’
The trio of Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson, and Ben Hayslip has quickly become a hot commodity in the country music songwriting realm. All three being from Georgia, they’ve embraced their newfound collective notoriety and dubbed themselves the Peach Pickers. The three friends scored their first hit as a songwriting trio in 2008 with Brooks & […]
‘American Idol’ Targets Shania; Reba Announces New Album; Jamey Johnson Talks About ‘The Guitar Song’
A source with apparent knowledge of the search for new American Idol judges named Shania Twain as a possible candidate. Austin Music Source’s John T. Davis recapped night one and night two of Butch Hancock‘s five-night No Two More Alike concert series at the Cactus Cafe. Hancock, like his songs, looked more or less ageless, […]
Craig Shelburne recapped Buddy Miller‘s artist-in-residence gig at the Country Music Hall of Fame on Tuesday, which featured special guests Tom T. Hall, Emmylou Harris, and the McCrary Sisters. With the song’s composer sitting in the front row, just a few steps away, Miller nervously introduced Tom T. Hall’s “That’s How I Got to Memphis.” […]
New releases for the week of August 10, 2010 include: Blake Shelton – All About Tonight Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Charlie Daniels – The Land That I Love Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Jerry Castle – Don’t Even Ask iTunes | MySpace Zac Brown Band‘s next album, You Get What You Give, isn’t set […]
Ruby Wright, the daughter of Johnny Wright and Kitty Wells, was found dead in her apartment on Sunday. The cause of death was presumably heart problems. Ms. Wright’s best known single was her 1964 “answer” to Roger Miller’s “Dang Me.” Her version was called “Dern Ya,” and it was featured in the Country Music Hall […]
The Americana Music Association announced the nominees for its 8th Honors and Awards ceremony yesterday. The ceremony will be held September 17 at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN during the Americana Festival and Conference and will be hosted by Jim Lauderdale, featuring a band led by Buddy Miller and additional, yet-to-be-named performers. The AMA […]
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.