IBMA Award Winners Announced; Underwood, Zac Brown Band to Perform at Veteran’s Day Concert in DC; Vince Gill on Ice
The winners of yesterday’s IBMA Awards (click through for the Momentum Awards and Special Awards winners, which were announced prior to last night’s awards show): Hall of Fame Inductees: The Seldom Scene, Neil Rosenberg Entertainer of the Year: Balsam Range Instrumental Group of the Year: Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Vocal Group of the Year: Balsam […]
Garth Launches GhostTunes; “Two Black Cadillacs” to Become Miniseries; Bryan Sutton Releases New Video
Garth Brooks has launched GhostTunes, a streaming and download service that’s an alternative to iTunes and other digital music services. From The L.A. Times: “Brooks’ beef with iTunes is that it is grounded in selling singles, while Brooks says he wants his music sold as complete albums to protect the songwriters and music publishers who […]
The IBMA Award nominees were announced last night. The full list of nominations can be found here. Hall of Fame inductees: The Seldom Scene (original lineup), Neil Rosenberg Album of the Year: Junior Sisk & Joe Mullins – Hall of Fame Bluegrass; Del McCoury Band – Streets of Baltimore; Noam Pikelny – Noam Pikelny Plays […]
Fundraising Stalls for Grandpa Jones Historical Marker; Seeger Fest Begins Tomorrow; Drew Kennedy to Release Live Album
Fundraising attempts to put up a historical marker at Grandpa Jones’ Kentucky birthplace have stalled. So far only $700 has been raised, but the project will cost $2,500. Dolly Parton would like to make a LGBT dance record. There’s a LeAnn Rimes dance record due out out in August, featuring remixes of songs she’s recorded […]
In late April, Bryan Sutton released his fourth solo album, Into My Own, on Sugar Hill Records. Even if you don’t have any of his recordings (though you should), you’ve certainly heard this bluegrass badass before: he’s won IBMA’s Guitar Player of the Year Award six times and has appeared on recordings by artists ranging […]
Steel guitar great Weldon Myrick passed away. As of 7 a.m., no obituaries have been published online, but we’ll keep you posted; ’til then, listen to one of the many classics he played on. (via Barry Mazor) Ryan Adams tackled The Pointer Sisters’ “Neutron Dance.” Watch here. Remember how Ralph Stanley was going to retire? […]
The nominees for the 2014 Americana Honors & Awards were named yesterday (check our Facebook page later today for Barry Mazor’s exclusive photos from yesterday’s announcement shindig): Album of the Year: Sarah Jarosz – Build Me Up from Bones, Robert Ellis – The Lights from the Chemical Plant, Rosanne Cash – The River and the […]
James Alan Shelton Battles Cancer; Jamie Wilson Launches Fundraising Campaign for New Album; HBO Develops Bessie Smith Biopic
James Alan Shelton, one of Ralph Stanley’s Clinch Mountain Boys, was hospitalized recently. Doctors have diagnosed him with Stage IV cancer after they found malignant masses in his pancreas and bowel; they also said that the disease has spread to his liver. Shelton will undergo therapy and says he’ll continue playing with Stanley as long […]
The Lone Star Music Awards were held last night. Winners include: Lone Star Hall of Fame Inductees: Kent Finlay, Joe Ely Country Album of the Year: Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison – Cheater’s Game Emerging Artist of the Year: Thieving Birds Female Vocalist of the Year: Kacey Musgraves Male Vocalist of the Year: Cody Canada […]
The 49th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards off-camera award winners include: Career Achievement Award: Toby Keith, Ronnie Milsap Cliffie Stone Pioneer Award: Bob Beckham Crystal Milestone Award: Merle Haggard Gene Weed Special Achievement Award: Carrie Underwood Jim Reeves International Award: Steve Buchanan, Rascal Flatts Mae Boren Axton Award: Paul Moore Poet’s Award: Jack Clement, […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...