It is always during a crisis of faith where Bruce Springsteen burns the brightest. Whether the young man straining at the reins of Born To Run, the high stakes legal battle/state of the original blue collar erosion Darkness on the Edge of Town, the failing of “til death do us part” Tunnel of Love and [...]
Vince Gill Leaves MCA; Don Williams Plans New Album; Chet Flippo Discusses Social Commentary and Country Music
Vince Gill is leaving MCA after 23 years. If you’ve got an hour to spare and are interested in music and copyright law, check out this lecture from UCLA ethnomusicology professor Anthony Seeger, who “looks at the opposing positions of ‘Don’t pirate my music’ and ‘Knowledge wants to be free’ to discuss the more general [...]
Hank Jr. Announces Take Back the Country Tour; 1 in 5 Country Fans Don’t Listen to Country Radio; Ryan Adams Covers Dio
Federal appeals court ruled that Roger Miller’s widow does not own the rights to songs including “King of the Road,” “Dang Me,” and others. According to a study released yesterday at CRS, one in five country music fans never tunes in to country radio, instead getting their music from other sources. The study also came [...]
Mel Tillis Receives National Medal of Arts; Muddy Roots Festival Lineup Additions; New Album Releases
Mel Tillis was at the White House yesterday, receiving a National Medal of Arts. CMT.com has the story about how Whitney Houston came to record Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You.” This project, a documentary about Peter Rowan, looks pretty interesting. Jake Kelly of American Songwriter paid a visit to the Deering Banjo factory [...]
Give it to Bon Iver – or rather Justin Vernon, who anchors the atmospheric songscapers. When the big-time network TV folks decided to come up with a way to stage his kind of “obscure music” to the bing-bang-boom conditioned viewership, he balked. If his songs were good enough to help his loose coalition of players [...]
Emmylou Celebrates 20 Years with the Opry; New Videos From The Roys and Josh Kelley; New Springsteen Album Drops in March
Merle Haggard has canceled the rest of his January tour dates as he’s been hospitalized with pneumonia. Here’s hoping for a speedy recovery. Bruce Springsteen’s new album, Wrecking Ball, is due out March 6. Take a peek at the track listing and listen to a song here. Geoffrey Himes wrote a feature on Kathleen Edwards [...]
Keith Urban Plans Post-Surgery Return to Performing; Decemberists to Release Live Album; Song of the Mountains Needs Help
Here is live video of The Civil Wars performing their song “Safe and Sound” with Taylor Swift at the Ryman. Dave Paulson of the Tennessean reviewed the show. The GAC blog has a brief post about young country singer Thomas Rhett, the son of Rhett Akins. His debut single, “Something to Do with My Hands,” [...]
Our posting schedule this week will be a little spotty, but we’ll be back with guns fully blazing on January 2. Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars have teamed up to record a song from the upcoming Hunger Games soundtrack. “Safe & Sound” was co-written by Swift, the duo and T-Bone Burnett. You can listen [...]
Joe Gracey, an important figure in the Austin music scene, passed away this week after a battle with cancer. Rosanne Cash performs with the Minnesota Orchestra tonight. Chris Willman wrote a piece (and quoted Blake Boldt) about homosexuality in the country music industry: Whatever stereotypes might exist about country music not being a gay-friendly genre, [...]
Elvis Presley died on this day in 1977. Do you remember where you were when you heard the news? Merle Haggard was hospitalized over the weekend and had to cancel his Saturday night show. Over the Rhine, Rosanne Cash, Kasey Anderson, Rhett Miller, and Jason Isbell make Paste‘s list of 50 Musicians Worth Following on [...]
- Jordan Stacey: ooh 5 is very limiting but I'll give it a go. (Please note I'm trying for radio success, my choices ...
- TX Music Jim: Lee Ann Womack for sure we need some new music. Turnpike Troubadors They have been releasing some great material and are ...
- bob: After the not so Incredible Machine cd, I'll try to hear as much of the Nettles solo album as I ...
- nm: Richard Bennett is a class act. That is all.
- Bruce: Jon's comment about lip-syncing seems to agree with my statement "I know it isn’t a new thing.." At least I ...
- Luckyoldsun: "Randy Travis is suing the Texas attorney general’s office and the Texas Department of Public Safety to prevent the release ...
- Luckyoldsun: "Lip-syncing is ancient history;" So you're saying that lip synching is not done--or not commonly done--anymore. Gee, this board is so ...
- Juli Thanki: It sounds just like Earl. If Earl played it at quarter-speed while half in the bag. And perhaps also if ...
- Jon: Lip-syncing is ancient history; it's about time people got over that. So, Juli, the real question is, have *you* mastered "Cripple ...
- Bruce: Also concerning Nettles solo project, I thought she had been a solo artists for the last few years? Sorry but ...