It’s been a while since we served up our last Your Take, which asks for our readers’ thoughts on the people, progress and problems in today’s country music. Each discussion will ask a question based on a contextual and timely scenario garnered from a blog post, comment or news item on The 9513 that week. […]
Chicago-based Constellation Spirits is expected to announce today that they’re developing a premium rum in partnership with Kenny Chesney, which will be out in the first quarter of 2010. The name is yet to be determined, but a spokesman for Constellation said it will not bear Chesney’s name. However, stage banners at his concerts would […]
A study of 36,000 participants and carried out by Professor Adrian North tries to establish a link between musical tastes and personality types. According to findings, listeners of country music are hardworking and outgoing. Jessica Simpson made her first Opry appearance over the weekend and performed the lead single from her new album, “Come On […]
Taylor Swift made her debut in London last night to a sold-out crowd and The 9513 forum member SamB was there to catch all the action. She did most of the hits (no Tim McGraw, which was odd), and some stuff off the new album, including Change, which I loved, and Love Story, which she […]
Matt asks if anyone else finds it odd that Brooks & Dunn‘s “Only in America” was played at the end of Obama’s acceptance speech last night in light of the fact that it was also George W. Bush’s campaign theme song in 2004. A recent flight carrying Trisha Yearwood had to make an emergency landing […]
Based on a compilation of more than 10,000 songs, artists Fernanda Viégas and Martin Wattenberg put together a data visualization chart that lists the most common body parts (pictures included) referenced in music by genre. Eyes and hands are the most referenced parts in country music. They even compiled a rebus glossary of all the […]
Watch the new video for Carrie Underwood‘s “Just A Dream,” and then go voice your opinion in the forums. The proceedings for a lawsuit filed against Tim McGraw over a year ago were moved to Nashville last week. James Martinez filed the lawsuit in Texas, claiming McGraw copied his hit “Everywhere” from Martinez’s own song […]
The top two spots on the country album sales chart this week belong to teen-phenom Taylor Swift for her exclusive Wal-Mart CD/DVD combo Beautiful Eyes and her self-titled debut album. So in this case, does that make third place the first loser? Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush describe their experience rolling over the top of […]
Yesterday’s video shoot for Brooks & Dunn‘s “Put a Girl In It” called for 1,000 models, but the duo had to settle for 100 bikini-clad girls. Bummer. Porter Wagoner took “Satisfied Mind” to No. 1 in 1955, but the Hear Ya indie music blog introduces several other notable covers and posts a quote from one […]
The European CMA announced their award winners and according to his MySpace, singer/songwriter Billy Yates won Male Vocalist of the Year. Carrie Underwood took the top prize for female vocalist, Brooks & Dunn notched another duo award and George Strait scored an album of the year trophy. Folk singer U. Utah Phillips–who modeled his name […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …