Reba, Brooks & Dunn Announce Vegas Residency; Ian McLagan Passes Away; Punch Brothers Release New Song
Ian McLagan passed away yesterday in his adopted hometown of Austin. He was 69 years old. The New York Times’ obit focuses on Small Faces and his work with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, and Bruce Springsteen, but he also played keys on numerous country and roots records: in the last couple years, he appeared on recordings […]
Jerry Sullivan of The Sullivan Family passed away on Saturday. John Lawless of Bluegrass Today posted an obituary. Rolling Stone Country has launched. Gus Wenner wrote what to expect in an Editor’s Note that you can read here. John Mellencamp has signed a “lifetime” recording contract with Republic Records and he will release his 22nd full-length album this […]
The Everly Brothers’ Phil Everly passed away at the age of 74 from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The former Grand Ole Opry member was an inductee of both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (class of 1986) and the Country Music Hall of Fame (class of 2001). Read obituaries from The New York Times, The Tennessean, Rolling […]
Working in the shadows of Nashville star-making machine are a wealth of unheralded talents who occasionally take brief, fleeting turns in the spotlight. Kim Richey has had a quietly profound impact in country music over the last couple of decades with her vital contributions as a singer-songwriter. Her compositions have been cut by Brooks & […]
To celebrate what would have been his 80th birthday this past weekend, TIME released a bunch of previously unreleased Johnny Cash photographs. David Allan Coe and Hank Williams III are collaborating on a new music project. George Strait had to cancel a concert two songs into a show in Kansas City. Take a listen to […]
Cory Morrow – or, for many country fans outside of the Texas music scene, that guy who sings “Nashville Blues” – knows a thing or two about redemption. After a 2005 arrest for drunk driving and cocaine possession left him at a crossroads much different than the questionable cross-genre pairings featured on CMT, the Texas […]
Spring is here, and chances are you’re enjoying the beautiful weather. But if you’re trapped indoors for whatever reason—work, allergies, general reclusiveness—channel surf and see if you can find any country music-themed cartoons. If you’re reading this late at night, you can seek out Squidbillies and its excellent Billy Joe Shaver theme song. Or you […]
In yesterday’s News Roundup, we learned the lineup for the Brooks and Dunn “Last Rodeo” concert special. The special, which will be filmed April 19, will air on CBS in late May. Performers will pay tribute to the duo with covers of its songs: The duo has landed Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, Reba McEntire, Brad […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.