Clear Channel and CMT have formed an unholy alliance signed a deal to “create central country-music programming to be distributed across 125 Clear Channel country stations, as well as television and digital platforms, such as Clear Channel’s iHeartRadio.” An interesting factoid from the Wall Street Journal article on this deal: “Country fans have become particularly […]
Loretta Lynn Receives Medal of Freedom; Dave Adkins, Edgar Loudermilk Join Forces; Sturgill Simpson Sampler Available for Download
Loretta Lynn was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House yesterday. Watch the video here. There’s a four-song Sturgill Simpson sampler available for download on NoiseTrade. Scott H. Biram’s next album, Nothin’ But Blood, will be released February 4 on Bloodshot Records. Listen to Biram’s new single, “When I Die.” Dave […]
George Jones’ Graveside Monument Unveiled; Haden Triplets to Release Third Man Debut in February; Album Releases
George Jones’ graveside monument was unveiled yesterday. Nancy Jones announced that she’s starting a scholarship in his name at Middle Tennessee State University. Katie Armiger, Brent Cobb, Chris Janson, and Corey Smith will take part in a guitar pull on December 10 to raise funds for the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Owen […]
Nickel Creek Reunites, Records New Album; George Strait Honored with Billboard Touring Award; American Country Awards Performers Announced
A George Jones monument will be unveiled at the Woodlawn Roesch-Patton Funeral Home and Memorial Park in Nashville on Monday afternoon. The event will be open to the public. George Strait was named the 2013 Legend of Live at last night’s Billboard Touring Awards in NYC. Taylor Swift’s Red Tour was named the Top Package […]
Dean Dillon to Receive BMI Icon Award; Musicians Hall of Fame Announces 2014 Inductees; Album Releases
The Kickstarter page for Suzy Bogguss’ album of Merle Haggard songs features a six-minute sampler that sounds mighty fine. Dean Dillon will be honored with the BMI Icon Award tonight. Here’s a fine interview he did for American Songwriter. Read Barry Mazor’s Wall Street Journal article on the CMA Awards and how they got that […]
Sources say former Nirvana drummer and current Foo Fighters rocker Dave Grohl will be producing the next Zac Brown Band album. Erika White and, to a lesser degree, her husband Bryan White will be participating in the new TNT reality series, Private Lives of Nashville Wives. We pay obeisance to C.M. Wilcox for this week’s […]
Sherman Halsey Passes Away; Suzy Bogguss to Release Merle Haggard Tribute; Ronnie Milsap Debuts New Single
Music video director and producer Sherman Halsey passed away at the age of 56. Among the videos he worked on were Tim McGraw’s “Live Like You Were Dying,” Dwight Yoakam’s “Little Sister,” and Alan Jackson’s version of “Tall Tall Trees.” Stream the solid new release Divided and United: Songs of the Civil War, which features […]
(Yesterday: Part One) Before the public knew Brandy Clark, well before the new release of her first album 12 Songs, she had become an important part of a tight circle of friends and collaborators that includes, among others, singing songwriters Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe, Kacey Musgraves, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne and Trevor Rosen. The impact […]
Brandy Clark’s remarkably accessible and strikingly original first album, 12 Stories, set for release October 22, seems certain to be recalled as one of the groundbreaking country music debuts of this era. Even two years ago, before songs she co-wrote such as “Mama’s Broken Heart” (Miranda Lambert), “Better Dig Two” (The Band Perry), “Follow Your […]
Stream Howlin’ Brothers, Brandy Clark Albums; Strait, Jackson to Salute George Jones at CMA Awards; New Releases
Jeffrey Steele, Randy Owen, Will Jennings, and Layng Martine Jr. were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame on Sunday. Grandpa Jones would be celebrating his 100th birthday this Sunday. Peter Cooper wrote a fine feature on the Country Music Hall of Famer; consider it mandatory reading. Brandy Clark’s 12 Stories is streaming at […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."