Listen to Kathy Mattea’s recent Mountain Stage performance. Darden Smith has signed with Compass Records. His next album, Love Calling, will be released August 27. Keith Urban, Kris Kristofferson, Loretta Lynn, Vince Gill, and more are performing at the “All for the Hall” benefit concert in Nashville tonight. NoiseTrade is offering music from Aoife O’Donovan as [...]
More than 350 songs were on this year’s ballot. We cut the list to just our top 60, though it easily could have been a Top 100 countdown. What were your favorite songs of the past year? You can listen to a Spotify playlist of the available songs here. 60. Bucky Covington — “A Father’s [...]
It’s been a fantastic year for country and roots/Americana music, and it was no easy task for us to narrow down the list of albums released in 2012 to just a few favorites, but, after a few weeks of voting, here’s what we came up with. Honorable Mentions that missed the cut by just a [...]
Matraca Berg’s new album, Love’s Truck Stop, is getting good reviews across the pond. The second annual Red River Songwriters Festival will be held January 24-26 in Red River, New Mexico. Artists scheduled to perform include Ray Wylie Hubbard, Walt Wilkins, Drew Kennedy, and more. Listen to new Junior Brown song, “Hang Up and Drive.” [...]
Friends and family remembered Kitty Wells at her funeral. Old albums are outselling new albums for the first time since Nielsen Soundscan started tracking US album sales in ’91. Bobby Braddock, Vince Gill, and the late Roger Miller are among those who will receive special awards this fall at the 6th Annual ACM Honors. Kellie [...]
Farm Aid Heads to Hershey; Johnny Depp & Douglas Brinkley Editing Unpublished Woody Guthrie Novel; Album Releases
Here’s a cool piece from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation called “In the Footsteps of John A. Lomax: American Folk Song Collector.” In this feature, “narrated by folklorist Hal Cannon, we retrace those back roads of Texas and Louisiana to discover why the folk music that John Lomax documented in the early 20th century still resonates [...]
This year’s nominees for induction into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame include Gretchen Peters, Tony Arata, Robert Byrne, and Beth Nielsen Chapman. Read the entire list of nominees here. David Nail will release a three song EP called 1979 on July 17. It will include his cover of Adele’s “Someone Like You.” WAMU’s Bluegrass [...]
Carrie Underwood Speaks Out in Support of Gay Marriage; The Trishas’ Full-Length Debut Album Due Aug. 7; Album Releases
Carrie Underwood spoke out in support of gay marriage during an interview with The Independent. This week, the music video for Glen Campbell’s “A Better Place” will be released. It’ll “offer a retrospective look at Campbell’s career, and will feature a cameo by Queens of the Stone Age frontman Joshua Homme.” The producers of The [...]
George Jones was admitted to a Nashville area hospital yesterday for further testing and evaluation of a lingering upper respiratory infection. His concert dates through June will be rescheduled when possible. Yesterday, Tim McGraw announced his new deal with Big Machine Records. McGraw is already working on new music: “[a]sked when fans can hear his [...]
Bakersfield Sound Exhibit Opens; More ACM Awards Performers Announced; How to Grow a Band Documentary to Open in April
Putamayo’s new bluegrass collection, due out in May, includes Alison Krauss & Union Station, Sam Bush, Town Mountain, Peter Rowan, and more. Have a listen here. Shooter Jennings on fitting in with Music Row: I don’t know if I could fit in. I know that I wouldn’t fit happily. I’ve never written with teams of [...]
- Luckyoldsun: "My parents’ record collection consisted of Ed Ames, Perry Como..." Ed Ames made records? I did not know that. I thought ...
- Leeann Ward: Old Town, where Griffin is from, is just a few minutes away from me.
- Leeann Ward: Being a Mainer, I wish I had some of what they were drinkin'.
- Arlene: In the interest of completeness, "Rust Belt Fields" is a co-write with his childhood friend, Rod Picott. Slaid Cleaves's "Still ...
- Jack Williams: Good point, Barry. Also, I think he saw his fair share of Gene Autry and Roy Rogers movies as ...
- Leeann Ward: Ugh...Looking back at my comment, I must change my shameful "might not of" to "might not have."
- Leeann Ward: Rick, I'm kinda surprised you'd attend anything with the word "charity" attached to it.
- Rick: On Saturday I attended the charity fundraiser Oakheart Festival in Thousand Oaks, CA to watch performances by Steel Magnolia, Jason ...
- Barry Mazor: There's a different generation of Bronx you're talking about there, Jack. Johnny Cash was just being born in the 1930s!
- Henry: My parents' record collection consisted of Ed Ames, Perry Como, Andy Williams, Herb Alpert, Mitch Miller, Burl Ives, and some ...