Check out a teaser for The Southern Gospel Revival, featuring Courtney Patton, Drew Kennedy, Jamie Lin Wilson, and Ben Hester. John Marks of SiriusXM, who helped break Florida Georgia Line, is hoping to do the same thing for women country singers by introducing “Fresh Female Voices” programming on The Highway channel. Taylor Swift is hosting a […]
Ray Price Passes Away; Linda Ronstadt Voted Into Rock HOF; Benmont Tench Solo Record Due in February
Ray Price passed away yesterday afternoon. David Cantwell wrote a lovely Price obituary for this site, and here are others penned by Peter Cooper (Tennessean), Bill Friskics-Warren (NYT), Patrick Doyle (Rolling Stone) and Chuck Dauphin (Billboard). You are a person of good taste, as evidenced by your choice in websites. But perhaps you know someone who […]
Listen to Kathy Mattea’s recent Mountain Stage performance. Darden Smith has signed with Compass Records. His next album, Love Calling, will be released August 27. Keith Urban, Kris Kristofferson, Loretta Lynn, Vince Gill, and more are performing at the “All for the Hall” benefit concert in Nashville tonight. NoiseTrade is offering music from Aoife O’Donovan as […]
More than 350 songs were on this year’s ballot. We cut the list to just our top 60, though it easily could have been a Top 100 countdown. What were your favorite songs of the past year? You can listen to a Spotify playlist of the available songs here. 60. Bucky Covington — “A Father’s […]
It’s been a fantastic year for country and roots/Americana music, and it was no easy task for us to narrow down the list of albums released in 2012 to just a few favorites, but, after a few weeks of voting, here’s what we came up with. Honorable Mentions that missed the cut by just a […]
Matraca Berg’s new album, Love’s Truck Stop, is getting good reviews across the pond. The second annual Red River Songwriters Festival will be held January 24-26 in Red River, New Mexico. Artists scheduled to perform include Ray Wylie Hubbard, Walt Wilkins, Drew Kennedy, and more. Listen to new Junior Brown song, “Hang Up and Drive.” […]
Friends and family remembered Kitty Wells at her funeral. Old albums are outselling new albums for the first time since Nielsen Soundscan started tracking US album sales in ’91. Bobby Braddock, Vince Gill, and the late Roger Miller are among those who will receive special awards this fall at the 6th Annual ACM Honors. Kellie […]
Farm Aid Heads to Hershey; Johnny Depp & Douglas Brinkley Editing Unpublished Woody Guthrie Novel; Album Releases
Here’s a cool piece from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation called “In the Footsteps of John A. Lomax: American Folk Song Collector.” In this feature, “narrated by folklorist Hal Cannon, we retrace those back roads of Texas and Louisiana to discover why the folk music that John Lomax documented in the early 20th century still resonates […]
This year’s nominees for induction into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame include Gretchen Peters, Tony Arata, Robert Byrne, and Beth Nielsen Chapman. Read the entire list of nominees here. David Nail will release a three song EP called 1979 on July 17. It will include his cover of Adele’s “Someone Like You.” WAMU’s Bluegrass […]
Carrie Underwood Speaks Out in Support of Gay Marriage; The Trishas’ Full-Length Debut Album Due Aug. 7; Album Releases
Carrie Underwood spoke out in support of gay marriage during an interview with The Independent. This week, the music video for Glen Campbell’s “A Better Place” will be released. It’ll “offer a retrospective look at Campbell’s career, and will feature a cameo by Queens of the Stone Age frontman Joshua Homme.” The producers of The […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."