It’s so great to have Candi Staton back. Not that she ever went away, but on her new album, Life Happens, her voice resonates with a force that shouts “I’m here to tell you that bad stuff happens in life all the time, but that I’m happy and satisfied to be where I’m at.” On […]
Stuart, Shaver Plan Album Releases; John Fahey Biography Due in June; Trampled By Turtles Debut New Song
Billy Joe Shaver will release Long in the Tooth on Lightning Rod Records August 5. Give a listen to “Hard to be an Outlaw,” Shaver’s new duet with Willie Nelson, here. On September 30, Marty Stuart is going to release the double album Saturday Night & Sunday Morning. As the title suggests, one disc will […]
Lee Ann Womack’s new record, The Way I’m Livin’, will be released September 23 on Sugar Hill Records. The album includes songs by Buddy Miller, Chris Knight, Hayes Carll, Roger Miller, Mando Saenz, and more. The title track will premiere on The Wall Street Journal’s website Thursday. (via press release) Download Dualtone Records’ Summer Sampler, […]
Ryan Adams to Play Newport Folk Fest; Trampled By Turtles Announce New Album; Dolly Parton Schedules QVC Appearance
Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, Carrie Underwood and Sheryl Crow paid tribute to Linda Ronstadt at last night’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Hey, want to cry at your desk this morning? Read Peter Cooper’s lovely piece on Ray Price and his final album, Beauty Is, which he dedicated to his wife, Janie. An […]
Austin City Limits Hall of Fame to Induct Willie Nelson; Kasey Chambers Returns to the Studio; New Album Releases
Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughan are the inaugural inductees into the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame. Buddy Guy, Lyle Lovett, and more will perform at the induction ceremony on April 26. Kasey Chambers is back in the studio working on a solo album. Stream Martina McBride’s Everlasting and Left Lane Cruiser’s Slingshot. If […]
Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison will release their second duets album, Our Year, on May 27. The 10-song record will include their fantastic version of “Harper Valley P.T.A.” as well as a take on “I’ll Go to My Grave Loving You.” John Cowan has signed with Compass Records; his next album will be released early […]
“Jolene,” Kristofferson Added to Grammy HOF; Della Mae to Make Opry Debut; Drive-By Truckers Announce Tour Dates
Dolly Parton’s “Jolene” and Kris Kristofferson’s eponymous debut album are among 27 new additions to the Grammy Hall of Fame. In order to be selected, singles and albums must be “at least 25 years old and exhibit qualitative or historical significance. Recordings are reviewed annually by a special member committee comprised of knowledgeable professionals from […]
MerleFest Lineup Announced; Jennifer Nettles’ Solo Album Due in January; Darrell Webb Releases New Single
Everyone from Alan Jackson to Zephyr Lightning Bolts is playing MerleFest next April. George Strait took home the ASCAP Founders Award Monday night. Check out the full list of winners here. Speaking of ASCAP, the organization has kicked off its centennial celebration. Will Hoge played a set for CMT. This is from The National Enquirer, […]
George Strait to Receive the Legend of Live Billboard Award; 52nd Annual Philly Folk Fest Begins; The Rise of Bro-Country
The 52nd annual Philadelphia Folk Festival begins today. Jewly Hight wrote the Nashville Scene’s new, engaging Reba cover story. It turns out that the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum got more Reba “artifacts” than they’ve ever received from anyone else, including high school report cards, shell casings, and unopened bags of Reba Fritos. […]
Billy Mize & The Bakersfield Sound Documentary in the Works; Dailey & Vincent Announce Summer Tour Dates; Album Releases
Stream Jason Isbell’s new album, Southeastern, at MTV Hive. Britt Gully used Jimmie Rodgers’ guitar to record a tribute album. It’s the first time the guitar has been used to record in 80 years. Gully will also play the guitar at The Mississippi Picnic in New York this August. Lenny Kravitz is going to perform […]
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …