2013 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Dates Unveiled; Natalie Maines to Release Solo Record; New Music Videos
Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks will release a new album called Mother on May 7. The album is produced by Ben Harper. Andy Griggs and Bobby Pinson have written a song, called “20 Little Angels,” about the victims of the Newtown shooting tragedy. 100% of the proceeds from the sales of the song, including iTunes […]
Songwriters: Toby Keith and Bobby Pinson The first two singles from Toby Keith’s latest album, Bullets in the Gun, have landed short of the Top Ten (“Trailerhood” and the title track). It’s a rare double miss for the ACM Entertainer of the Year nominee after nearly 20 years of chart success. He returns to radio […]
Kristofferson Honored As BMI Icon; Live Video Stream of Underwood at Opry; Hough & Wicks Call It Quits
Kris Kristofferson was named a BMI Icon at last night’s BMI Country Awards and Bobby Pinson took home the award for songwriter of the year. Visit The Tennessean for a full list of winners. In light of today’s holiday, revisit The 9513′s playlist “20 Top War and Soldier Songs.” George Strait‘s publicist confirmed that the […]
Say what you will about Toby Keith, but he’s nothing if not a hard worker. It’s been less than a year since That Don’t Make Me A Bad Guy was released (hell, the gold record probably isn’t even hung up in the Show Dog Nashville office) and here he is with another album, one that’s […]
Brad Paisley & Carrie Underwood To Host CMA Awards A Second Time; Opry Revives Country Classics Series
Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood will return as hosts for the three-hour broadcast of the CMA Awards on Nov. 11. Beginning Sept. 20, the Grand Ole Opry will bring back its Country Classics series for an eight-week run. Quick, what’s the last song you heard? Jack Ingram met his goal of 215 interviews to officially […]
Music City TV is reporting that Little Jimmy Dickens moved from the hospital to a nearby rehabilitation center yesterday. Ashley Monroe, Jack White and Brendan Benson talk about the chemistry behind the bluegrass inspired recording of “Old Enough” in a video for CMT. Pitchfork‘s Stephen M. Deusner on the Johnny Cash Remixed album: I’ve been […]
Songwriters: Toby Keith and Bobby Pinson After the clunker that was “She’s A Hottie,” Toby Keith and Bobby Pinson hook up again to bring us the first single, “She Never Cried In Front Of Me,” from Keith’s next album. While it’s not nearly as melodramatic as “It’s Not Supposed To Go Like That,” a song […]
Catherine Britt – Little Wildflower Catherine Britt released her third album, Little Wildflower, in her native Australia. This album, produced by Brett Beavers, attempts to cover ground in both contemporary and traditional country and while her contemporary contributions are decent, they blend in with current offerings from other artists. However, Britt’s performance and smoky vocals […]
First off, Happy New Year to everyone. To start the new year off, we’ve compiled a list of the best songs from 2007. The staff had a lengthy discussion about which songs should be available for nomination for such a list and we decided that a song had to be an original recording on an […]
Jason Boland and the Stragglers were busy playing a normal show in Bossier City this past Saturday when a random stranger from the crowd decided he was ready for football season to start a little early this year. The unidentified man referred to as “Jackass” ran on stage, dove through the drum set and tackled […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."