Chelle Rose posted her demo version of the John Prine-penned “Angel from Montgomery.” Crystal Shawanda updated her “Under the Influence” video series with her take on Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy.” Jewly Hight interviewed the duo Johnnyswim about their new holiday EP, A Johnnyswim Christmas. Hank Williams is in the number two spot on CMT’s All-Time Top 40. In […]
Trampled By Turtles Cover Yes; Bob Seger, Jason Aldean to Tape CMT Crossroads; Kasey Chambers Postpones Tour
Trampled By Turtles covered “Owner of a Lonely Heart” by Yes for The A.V. Club’s Undercover series. (warning: autoplay) Rob Ickes and Trey Hensley discuss their forthcoming album, Before the Sun Goes Down, in this Bluegrass Today video. The Lone Bellow will release sophomore album Then Came the Morning on January 7. Here’s the new […]
Lester Armistead of The Tennessee Mafia Jug Band passed away last Friday. Jamey Johnson is a free agent: he’s no longer signed to Mercury Records. There’s currently no news on what his next music move might be. Bryan White announced on his Facebook page that his Kickstarter-backed album, Shine, will be released on May 27. […]
Jason Eady Releases New Single; Hunter Berry to Record Live Album; Folk Music Could Help Track Human Migration
Kris Kristofferson says his memory has been “going” for the past few years. Jewly Hight interviewed K.T. Oslin for CMT Edge. This is cool: research suggests that the history of human migration may be traced by studying a population’s folk music in addition to examining DNA and linguistic evidence. From LiveScience.com: By comparing elements of […]
New Guy Clark, Bill Kirchen Albums Due This Summer; Rita MacNeil Passes Away; Wheelhouse Debuts at No. 1
Canadian folk and country singer Rita MacNeil passed away on April 16 at the age of 68. Guy Clark’s next album, My Favorite Picture of You, will be released July 23. It’s his first studio album in four years. Bill Kirchen’s got a new record coming out this summer as well. Seeds and Stems will […]
Songwriters: Gretchen Wilson and Vicky McGehee If you’re looking for a reason to start caring about Gretchen Wilson’s music again, new single “Still Rollin’” ain’t it. The redneck woman who made white trash cool again–just to watch Jason Aldean and Miranda Lambert usurp her territory–turns to classic rock for inspiration here, drawing out the titular […]
Bassist Chuck Goff Killed in Car Accident; Jason Eady Launches Kickstarter Campaign; New Courtney Jaye, Dirty Guv’nahs Videos
The “Gone But Not Forgotten” memorial festival, honoring Patsy Cline, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Cowboy Copas and Randy Hughes (2013 marks the 50th anniversary of their fatal plane crash), runs through March 2 in Camden, Tenn. Jason Eady has launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to make his next album, which will be titled Daylight and […]
He doesn’t sing about much. Not really. Back water towns with water towers, driving with no place to go, working with one’s hands, no real arc for what the future holds, needing to believe and finding little to put one’s faith in. An American Dream that’s faded, now torn and shrinking. The will to survive […]
Two decades after his last solo record, Joe Walsh utilizes the opportunity to reflect a little on where he’s been on new album Analog Man. For the casual fan, Walsh is easily best known for his slide guitar work and occasional vocals with the mega-huge band, the Eagles. His distinctive style of singing at the top […]
Back when I was researching and writing my book Meeting Jimmie Rodgers, at least one friend misheard what I was doing and thought I was dedicating years of work to Kenny Rogers. There were a lot of polite, puzzled “Is that so’s” and ‘How ’bout that’s.” These two artists strike so many people as so very different that they […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.