Reba, Brooks & Dunn Announce Vegas Residency; Ian McLagan Passes Away; Punch Brothers Release New Song
Ian McLagan passed away yesterday in his adopted hometown of Austin. He was 69 years old. The New York Times’ obit focuses on Small Faces and his work with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, and Bruce Springsteen, but he also played keys on numerous country and roots records: in the last couple years, he appeared on recordings […]
Chelle Rose posted her demo version of the John Prine-penned “Angel from Montgomery.” Crystal Shawanda updated her “Under the Influence” video series with her take on Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy.” Jewly Hight interviewed the duo Johnnyswim about their new holiday EP, A Johnnyswim Christmas. Hank Williams is in the number two spot on CMT’s All-Time Top 40. In […]
Robert Earl Keen’s been added to the MerleFest lineup. (via press release) The building that housed Quad Studios, a Nashville studio where Neil Young, Joan Baez, Keith Urban, Old Crow Medicine Show, and lots more have recorded since 1970, will become the new headquarters for Round Hill Music in 2015. The studio will be available for rental. […]
CMT premiered the video for Bill Anderson’s “Old Army Hat.” Listen to Trisha Yearwood’s “Met Him in a Motel Room” from PrizeFighter, which comes out next week. Jason Isbell: Live at Austin City Limits will be released on DVD November 24, so you can force your family to watch it on Thanksgiving. (via press release) […]
Sam Hunt Tops Three Billboard Charts; Bradley Whitford Cast in Hank Williams Biopic; New Music Videos
Garth Brooks unveiled a new song titled “Mom” on Good Morning America last Friday. He calls it his second-favorite song he’s recorded behind “The Dance.” What do you think? The good folks over at My Kind of Country have named Garth their spotlight artist this month. Paper Angels, the made-for-television movie based on Jimmy Wayne’s book of […]
The Marshall Tucker Band, Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn, The Gibson Brothers, North Mississippi Allstars, Del McCoury, Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis, and Hot Rize are among the acts slated to play MerleFest 2015. Robert Deaton, executive producer of the CMA Awards, promises that tomorrow’s show will include a “surprise guest in one of our […]
Dixie Hall Diagnosed with Brain Tumor; Brad Paisley to Appear on College GameDay; Parker Millsap Releases “Truck Stop Gospel” Video
Chris Jones of Bluegrass Today reports that “a source close to Tom T. and Dixie Hall has disclosed that Miss Dixie has been diagnosed with a brain tumor, and is suffering from dementia as a result.” Dixie, one of the most-recorded songwriters in bluegrass, has recently released her first single, called “Sunnyflower One,” a song that […]
The Country Music Hall of Fame formally inducted Ronnie Milsap, Mac Wiseman and Hank Cochran with last night’s medallion ceremony. Rumors are flying that Ronnie Dunn might be the next artist to sign with Nash Icon. (Reba signed with the label last week.) E145 pal Peter Cooper interviewed Taylor Swift for The Tennessean. Here’s what Swift had […]
“I don’t want no headstone on my grave,” Jerry Lee Lewis informed us from his undisturbed piano bench on stage at the Ryman, October 4th. “I deserve a monument!” He was still toying with the keys, and had just finished wailing the bluesy Charlie Rich song “Don’t Put No Headstone on My Grave,” as he’s […]
CMHOF to Open Tanya Tucker Exhibit; Lester Flatt Honored with Historical Marker; Reba to Headline “Dawn Sears and Friends” Benefit Show
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will open a new exhibit, Tanya Tucker: Strong Enough to Bend, on November 14. It’ll run through May 2015. David Cantwell’s No Depression piece on Lee Ann Womack is lengthy, but well worth your time. For one of his remaining Tennessean columns, Peter Cooper wrote about Scott […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.