Mel Tillis is recovering after undergoing “routine heart surgery” over the weekend. USAToday.com premiered songs by Rodney Crowell (“God, I’m Missing You”) and Don Williams (“Sing Me Back Home”). Mavis Staples, Lucinda Williams, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Allen Toussaint, and more will salute Dr. John at a tribute concert scheduled for May 3 in […]
Stream New Casey Driessen, Julie Roberts Albums; Black Friday Releases Announced; Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Launch Tour
Leon Ashley passed away on October 20. He was 77. Robert K. Oermann writes that “Ashley made history in 1967 when he became the first person to have a No. 1 hit with a song he wrote, published and sang on his own record label. That song, ‘Laura (What’s He Got That I Ain’t Got),’ became […]
Reserve Records to Reissue George Jones’ Debut LP; Stream Lindi Ortega’s Tin Star; Filmmaker Raises Funds for Prisonaires Documentary
Stream Lindi Ortega’s new record, Tin Star, before its October 8 release date. Keith Urban presented a $300,000 check to The Navy SEAL Foundation. Chrissie Dickinson of The Chicago Tribune wrote a feature on Brennen Leigh and Noel McKay. On October 15, Reserve Records will reissue George Jones’ 1957 debut LP, Grand Ole Opry’s New Star. Preview it […]
Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama, JD Wilkes & The Dirt Daubers Records; WAMU Broadcasts Live from IBMA; Album Releases
Buck Moore (“Paint Me a Birmingham”), musician DeFord Bailey Jr., and steel guitarist/songwriter Bill West all passed away recently. Barry Mazor wrote about Alan Jackson’s The Bluegrass Album for The Wall Street Journal. Dailey & Vincent taped a live performance of “Steel Drivin’ Man” for CMT Edge. American Songwriter premiered Tim Easton’s video for “They […]
Americana Award Winners Announced; HoF to Extend Bakersfield Sound Exhibit; Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama & Patty Griffin Song
The winners of last night’s Americana Awards: Album of the Year: Old Yellow Moon, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Artist of the Year: Dwight Yoakam Duo/Group of the Year: Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Song of the Year: “Birmingham,” Shovels & Rope Emerging Artist: Shovels & Rope Instrumentalist of the Year: Larry Campbell Trailblazer Award: Old […]
Stream Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott’s New Record; Brad & Carrie Return as CMA Awards Hosts; Album Releases
Bobby Slone (JD Crowe & The New South) passed away yesterday. Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood will host the CMA Awards for the sixth consecutive year. Miranda Lambert’s got a new video for “All Kinds of Kinds.” Stream Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott’s new album, Memories & Moments. The Jane Austen’s House museum is raising money to buy […]
Labels large and small have opted for highly seasonal release calendars that have a slew of new records coming out between mid-August and mid-September, like school lunchboxes. So I’m taking this column to offer some quick views and previews of several handfuls I’ve found notable. (“CDs” doesn’t nail it any more, and “releases” is giving […]
Randy Travis Suffers Stroke, Undergoes Surgery; JD McPherson Plays Mountain Stage; New Tony Joe White Album Due in Sept.
Randy Travis’ health issues continue. The New York Times reports that Travis suffered a stroke (a “complication of his congestive heart failure”) and underwent surgery to relieve pressure in his brain. Allen Toussaint was one of the recipients of the National Medal of Arts last night in DC. Know “Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)”? […]
Billy Mize & The Bakersfield Sound Documentary in the Works; Dailey & Vincent Announce Summer Tour Dates; Album Releases
Stream Jason Isbell’s new album, Southeastern, at MTV Hive. Britt Gully used Jimmie Rodgers’ guitar to record a tribute album. It’s the first time the guitar has been used to record in 80 years. Gully will also play the guitar at The Mississippi Picnic in New York this August. Lenny Kravitz is going to perform […]
“Pontoon” Goes Platinum; New Matraca Berg Album Due in October; American Songwriter Remembers Levon Helm
Jewly Hight profiled what sounds like a fantastic Patsy Cline exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Anyone seen it yet? Proper Records announced that Matraca Berg’s next album, Love’s Truck Stop, will be released October 22. No word yet on the US release date. Mindy Smith, Tom Russell, Victoria Williams, and […]
- Stuart Munro: I think this just moves the location of the discussion, Jack. If I named a bunch of rock artists who …
- Leeann Ward: Um, that's too much geekery for me to follow, Sam! My husband would understand you though.:)
- Jack Williams: Alabama Shakes won the AMA Emerging artist award couple of years ago. Also, classic soul influenced artists like Bettye Lavette, …
- Applejack: It certainly seems to me like the inclusion of St. Paul and the Broken Bones stretches the limits of how …
- Stuart Munro: Yes, that's the issue: is the tent so big as to have no boundaries? What *isn't* Americana? Is jazz? Is …
- Jack Williams: Um, roots music, that is.
- Jack Williams: Well, Americana is a pretty big tent. Classic southern soul falls under my personal definition of root music.
- Stuart Munro: Is it just me...or does the idea of St. Paul and the Broken Bones being an Americana act really strain …
- Sam G.: Loki Is playing Hank Williams in a new movie, and Thor bought the rights to a book about him. I …
- Roger: Fabulous interview and fantastic new music that I will listen to over and over again.