Special Consensus to Release John Denver Tribute Album; Tenn. Government Salutes Connie Smith; Little Big Town Debuts New Video
T Bone Burnett’s got a new job as the executive music producer and composer for HBO’s True Detective. Special Consensus and friends (including Peter Rowan, Dale Ann Bradley, John Cowan, and several others) will release Country Boy: A Bluegrass Tribute to John Denver on Compass Records March 25. (via press release) Remember that time we […]
Earl Scruggs Center Plans January Grand Opening; The Roys, Joey + Rory Win ICM Awards; Deadly Gentlemen Added to MerleFest Lineup
The Earl Scruggs Center’s grand opening is scheduled for January 11. You might want to check it out if you’re near Shelby, NC. To All the Girls, which sold 43,000 units in its first week, is Willie Nelson’s 46th Top 10 Country Album. (Dolly Parton is in second place, with 41 Top 10 Country Albums.) […]
Songwriter and comedian Don Bowman passed away on Wednesday at the age of 75. (h/t Janice Brooks) Earlier this week, a plaque was placed at Nashville’s Woodlawn Cemetery to announce the forthcoming construction of a George Jones monument. CMT posted My Darling Clementine’s Possum tribute, “The Gospel According to George.” The Defibulators’ new video premiered […]
Vince Gill Performs with Boston Pops; Shovels & Rope to Release O’ Be Joyful Deluxe Edition; New Valerie Smith, Black Lillies Videos
Producer and Canadian Country Music Hall of Famer Bill Langstroth passed away yesterday at the age of 81. Connie Smith, Bobby Bare, and Sleepy Man Banjo Boys are among the artists who’ll be playing Marty Stuart’s Late Night Jam on June 5 at the Ryman. See any familiar faces in Pistol Annies’ “Hush Hush” video? […]
Charlie Daniels Recovering From Pacemaker Surgery; The Band Perry Premieres New Song; Can Blues Music Save the Mississippi Delta?
Charlie Daniels is recovering after being diagnosed with a mild case of pneumonia and also undergoing surgery to implant a pacemaker. He’s canceled Sunday’s show and rescheduled a couple more. Willie Nelson: “I’d never marry a guy I didn’t like.” Thanks to NM for pointing us toward David Cantwell’s appreciation of the late Jack Greene. […]
Library of Congress Adds to National Recording Registry; George Strait & Garth Brooks to Perform Together at ACM Awards; Iris DeMent on Mountain Stage
Here’s a fine New York Times feature on the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. An excerpt: At a time when the troubled economy is causing many museums to pull back, the hall is blasting ahead with an expansion that will more than double its size to 350,000 square feet. It has raised $71.6 […]
YouTube Launches Country Music Channel; Corb Lund Curates Museum Exhibit; Don Rigsby to Release Ralph Stanley Tribute
YouTube launched Country Now, a channel “dedicated to country music and its fans with programming created and produced by Nashville artists and firms. YouTube has partnered with Los Angeles entertainment firm Greenlight Media & Marketing LLC to create the Country Now channel. Greenlight has agreed to a one-year deal to produce at least eight shows, […]
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.