Lost Johnny Cash Album Due Out in March; Earl Scruggs Center Readies for Grand Opening; Amos Lee Covers John Prine
A lost Johnny Cash album will be released on March 25. From the AP article: Out Among the Stars, an album he recorded with Billy Sherrill in the early 1980s that was never released by Columbia Records, then disappeared when the company dropped Cash in 1986. Turns out Cash and his wife, June Carter Cash, […]
Stream Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison’s Cheater’s Game; New Lori McKenna Record Due in April; Album Releases
On March 2, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will “present a special panel discussion, Forever with Us: The 50th Anniversary of a Country Music Tragedy, in memory of Country Music Hall of Fame member Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins and Randy Hughes, whose lives were lost in a plane crash a half century […]
September’s the month country and its cousins honor music and music makers that the Media Barons-That-Be don’t consider ripe for prime time—anything more than five minutes old, anything with specialized appeal, artists who don’t universally look like aspiring starlets or teen idols (sorry, Junior Sisk, Richard Thompson, and Billy Sherrill) and anybody at all besides […]
Lyle Lovett to Receive ASCAP Creative Voice Award; Legal Battle Over Right to Use Bill Monroe’s Name; New Ryan Bingham Video
Scott Bernstein of Glide Magazine did a song-by-song recap (with a few videos) of Wednesday’s Love for Levon concert. The concert was also reviewed in the New York Times and American Songwriter. There’s a legal battle going on about the right to use Bill Monroe’s name: Campbell “Doc” Mercer can’t use Monroe’s likeness or name […]
New Album From Don Williams Out 6/19; ACM Off-Camera Award Winners Announced; Carolina Chocolate Drops at Library of Congress
And So It Goes, a new album from Don Williams, will be released on Sugar Hill Records June 19. Vince Gill, Alison Krauss, and Keith Urban guest on the record. Listen to a track here. This year’s ACM off-camera award winners include Emmylou Harris, Dwight Yoakam, Billy Sherrill, Roger Miller, and more. Check out the […]
Born on this date in 1930, Ray Charles wasn’t supposed to be a music icon, let alone a country music one. The odds were certainly stacked against him. He was born to a poor African-American family and lost his sight at the age of seven. He was sent to a home for the deaf and […]
Martina McBride Joins Republic Nashville; Hillary Scott Named SESAC’s Songwriter of the Year; Stream Reba McEntire
Martina McBride left her longtime label Sony Music Nashville to join the Republic Nashville roster. Lady Antebellum‘s hit “Need You Now” won song of the year at last night’s SESAC awards ceremony, and one of the song’s co-writers, Hillary Scott (Lady A’s only member of SESAC), took home songwriter of the year honors. The Tennessean […]
Don Williams Takes Break From Retirement; Keith Urban To Host All for the Hall Tomorrow; LeAnn Rimes Re-records “Blue”
Don Williams looks a little older, but NewsOK’s Ed Godfrey says he sounded as smooth as ever in the first of a series of concerts that bookend his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame. Keith Urban‘s All for the Hall — his annual fundraising concert for the Country Music Hall of Fame — […]
Since my September 2008 article, Charlie McCoy, Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark, Don Williams, Billy Sherrill, Ferlin Husky and Jimmy Dean have been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. As I noted, for decades the Country Music Hall of Fame was caught in the position where many deserving performers died before their turn for […]
Ferlin Husky and Billy Sherrill Inducted to Hall of Fame; New Releases; Mac Wiseman Celebrates 85 Years
The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper and Edward Morris both recapped Sunday evening’s Country Music Hall of Fame Medallion Ceremony (The Tennessean | CMT), which marked the official induction of Ferlin Husky and Billy Sherrill, and the invitation-only tribute to Mac Wiseman who turned 85 on Sunday (The Tennessean | CMT). Chris Young has a new three-song […]
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."