Actress Jane Seymour believes her 14-year-old son Johnny is channeling the spirit of his godfather, Johnny Cash. UPDATE (11:38 am): Sugarland’s The Incredible Machine topped the Billboard 200 albums chart this week with 203,000 copies sold. Back in 1981, Johnny Cash and Ray Charles recorded a duet on the Kris Kristofferson song “Why Me Lord,” […]
Gary Allan to Undergo Vocal Cord Surgery; Inaugural American Country Awards Nominees; Music City Roots Splits with WSM
Gary Allan had to reschedule/cancel a couple of dates scheduled for December to undergo minor surgery to remove a polyp from a vocal cord. Voting for the inaugural American Country Awards — the only country music awards determined soley by fans — opens today. Lady Antebellum and Easton Corbin lead the nominations with seven each. […]
Songwriters: Mark Nesler, Jennifer Hanson and Marty Dodson With Halloween right around the corner, Billy Currington is probably narrowing down his costume possibilities. While Vegas may not have an official line on the winning choice, it’d be safe to bet he’ll forgo Snooki and Lady Gaga get-ups for either the Wink-Wink Frat Boy (plaid button-down, […]
Shawn Camp Release to Lead to ‘Lost Tapes’ Series? Yes, Please; CMT Premieres Eight Videos; Bleakest Songs in Country History
Warner Music Nashville president John Esposito has been getting a lot of credit for releasing Shawn Camp‘s sophomore album, 1994, 16 years after it was recorded, but the discovery also got him to thinking about what else might be buried. As it turns out, there could be a lot. AP entertainment writer Chris Talbott notes […]
Next spring, Atria Books will publish a memoir from Shania Twain. Accompanied by his lead guitarist and bassist, Billy Currington stopped by the American Songwriter office to perform five of his more popular songs: “Must Be Doin’ Somethin’ Right,” “Good Directions,” “People Are Crazy,” “That’s How Country Boys Roll,” and “Pretty Good At Drinkin’ Beer.” […]
The Nashville Songwriters Association International handed out awards in its Nashville parking lot yesterday. The Tennessean has a brief recap. More awards were handed out yesterday during the Academy of Country Music Honors — the special award recipients and non-televised winners of the ACM Awards. Poet’s Award winners were Cindy Walker and Don Schlitz, Mel […]
Justin Townes Earle Arrested; Matthew McConaughey to Direct Jamey Johnson Video; Video Tribute to Bob Wills
Justin Townes Earle took a little detour after last week’s show in Indianapolis: (via Saving Country Music) [...] there was a misunderstanding at the venue wherein the proprietor decided to dock the band some of their money, and when Earle went to discuss the matter with him, he didn’t take it too kindly. A fracas […]
Montgomery Gentry Leaves Label; Country Stars Donate Flood-Damaged Guitars; Warner Bros. to Release Songwriter Demos
Montgomery Gentry has parted ways with its longtime label Columbia Records. Warner Brothers Nashville announced plans to release a double-disc collection titled Original Songwriter Demos, which is pretty self-explanatory, but some of the demos included are: “The Dance,” “The House That Built Me,” and “I Hope You Dance.” Gary Scruggs says his father is doing […]
Brett James Named Songwriter of the Year; Justin Townes Earl Gets Mixed Reviews — Jamey Johnson, Not So Much
At last night’s ASCAP country music awards ceremony, songwriter Brett James took home his second ASCAP songwriter of the year honor for helping write five of the organization’s most performed songs of the past year. Songwriter Josh Kear won for the second time as well. His win came in the song of the year category […]
“Come on, girl, I got a bottle of wine,” sings Billy Currington at the beginning of Enjoy Yourself, his fourth studio release. With its warmed-over ’80s pop sheen, it’s an inauspicious start to a possible landmark in the Georgia native’s career. Enjoy Yourself, as the title suggests, goes down easy. It’s also a pretty bland […]
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.