Second Edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music Published; Boxcars Ready New Album; Evolution of the Outlaw
The second edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music was published this week. In this piece penned by Jewly Hight for the Nashville Scene, Dierks Bentley reflects on his arrival in Nashville as a teenager: “I was so green. But I still moved here anyway, because I was so drawn to this town and country […]
Garth Brooks Wins Lawsuit, Lyle Lovett Shares Wisdom with Esquire; Stream Gretchen Peters’ Hello Cruel World
Merle Haggard’s almost over the double pneumonia that landed him in a Macon, Georgia hospital—but he’s also been diagnosed with three stomach ulcers, eight polyps in his colon, and esophageal diverticulitis. Garth Brooks won his lawsuit against an Oklahoma hospital, which will be required to pay him a million dollars. Watch former Carolina Chocolate Drop […]
Joe Gracey, an important figure in the Austin music scene, passed away this week after a battle with cancer. Rosanne Cash performs with the Minnesota Orchestra tonight. Chris Willman wrote a piece (and quoted Blake Boldt) about homosexuality in the country music industry: Whatever stereotypes might exist about country music not being a gay-friendly genre, […]
Keith Urban to Undergo Throat Surgery; Larry Cordle Plans New Project; Give Me the Banjo Airs Tonight
Later this month, Keith Urban will undergo throat surgery to remove a polyp from his vocal cords. He’s planning on honoring pre-existing single song commitments, but other appearances and lengthier performances (including his All for the Hall fundraiser) will be postponed and rescheduled in 2012. Chet Flippo’s newest Nashville Skyline column is all about Vince […]
People Magazine has a brand new country music edition on newsstands featuring Lady Antebellum. To celebrate the new edition, they’re giving away a free download featuring some big hitters including: Ronnie Dunn, Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Jake Owen, Terri Clark, Matraca Berg, JT Hodges, Bradley Gaskin, and Sonia Leigh. Drew Kennedy has a cool and […]
A Ball State college student became the sixth fatality in the Indiana State Fair stage collapse right before Sugarland was to take the stage. Jennifer Haskell had been hospitalized for severe head injuries. Her best friend was one of the other five fatalities. A roof center plug might be to blame for making the tarp […]
Having already announced a new major-label album forthcoming on the Warner music label, Dwight Yoakam will have some new news to share shortly. Rumors are flying around Hollywood that Yoakam will be the bad guy opposite Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in Gore Verbinski’s upcoming Lone Ranger flick. Singer-songwriter Bill Morrissey passed away. The […]
Laura Cantrell recommends the Bessie-Smith-meets-Coon-Creek-Girls foursome The Roulette Sisters. Billy Currington: Soulman. Blake Shelton has been deemed an acceptable crossover artist by the New York Times and New York magazine, says Chet Flippo in his newest column. Hayes Carll on prison gangs and his very first cassette tape (Kenny Rogers). Roots rockers The Von Ehrics […]
Country music is known for its tear-jerkers, a fact not lost on the Vidalia Onion Committee. [Insert your own Sammy Kershaw joke here.] The industry association is set to launch a campaign featuring country artists Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Gary Allan and Ashton Shepherd. The promotion is in conjunction with Universal Music Group Nashville and […]
If you want to start a heated discussion among a bunch of devoted country music fans or music makers, no matter what stripe, style, or era of country music they call their own, bring up the question of today’s mainstream country radio. You’re certain to hear some railing from somebody about a longstanding set of […]
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."