Emmylou to Headline FreshGrass; Lambert & Underwood Will Debut Duet at Billboard Awards; Banjo Power Couple Plans New Album
What’s Jamey Johnson up to these days? Training Randy Travis’ horses. I know you lie awake at night wondering, “Self, what Dolly Parton song am I?” Luckily, Parton and the folks at Buzzfeed put together this quiz so you can figure out which one of Dolly’s songs best represents you. Jewly Hight interviewed Mickey Gilley […]
George Strait Sells Out the Staples Center in Nine Minutes; Marty Robbins Breaks Bad; New Music Videos
In a heartwarming episode of RFD-TV’s The Joey and Rory Show on Friday night, the duo revealed that Joey is pregnant and is due in February. Genuine congratulations goes out to one of the nicest couples in country music. Taking a page from Vince Gill’s book, Blake Shelton is the latest country star to take […]
Get the story behind Curly Putnam’s Green Green Grass of Home.” Is there a sadder twist ending in country music than the one in this song? Jason Isbell performed “Flying Over Water” on Conan last night. Isbell also sang “Different Days” for CMT Edge. Here’s your first look at Carrie Underwood as Maria in The […]
IBMA Award Nominees Announced; Stream Charlie Worsham’s Rubberband; Drive-By Truckers Reissue Due in September
The IBMA Award nominations were announced last night. The Gibson Brothers earned a total of eight nominations individually and as a band, and Balsam Range received seven. Tony Rice and Paul Warren were named as this year’s Hall of Fame inductees. Check out the full list of nominees here. The awards show will be held […]
David Via was attacked by a stranger over the weekend. He’s facing some serious medical costs and, with a broken jaw, he’ll be unable to perform for some time. Bluegrass Today has information on how you can help. The CMA Music Festival crowd was underwhelmed by Lenny Kravitz. The Pistol Annies have canceled their upcoming […]
George Jones passed away this morning. He was 81. WSM is playing Jones songs A-Z today. Listen here. Here’s a fine piece on the Possum that David Cantwell wrote for a 1999 issue of No Depression. Brian Mansfield remembers Jones in this USA Today article. Billy Currington is free on bond. His arraignment hearing is […]
Billy Currington Indicted for “Terroristic Threats”; Kacey Musgraves Added to Bonnaroo Lineup; Stream New Kenny Chesney, Vandaveer Albums
EW.com premiered Kris Kristofferson’s recording of “How Many Days,” a song from the upcoming Stephen King/T Bone Burnett/John Mellencamp project, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, which is coming out June 4. Stream Vandaveer’s album of murder ballads, Oh, Willie, Please…, before its April 30 release date. The Texas Thunder music festival will raise funds for those […]
Country Stars Remember Kitty Wells; New Little Big Town Album Due in September; Punch Brothers Announce New Tour Dates
Loretta Lynn, Barbara Mandrell, Dolly Parton, and Lee Ann Womack all made statements about Kitty Wells’ passing. Janis Martin’s final album, The Blanco Sessions, will be released on September 18. The album, produced by Rosie Flores and Bobby Trimble, was funded through Kickstarter. (via press release) Punch Brothers announced a bunch of new North American […]
June has arrived and summer is in full swing. Temperatures are rising to triple digits across the country and the humidity is stifling down in the southern states. For those lucky enough to have access to one, swimming pools are a refreshing respite. For those of us without pools, songs about pools will have to […]
George Jones Hospitalized; Kenny Rogers is Hall of Fame’s Artist-in-Residence; New Albums From Alejandro Escovedo and Kenny Chesney in June
George Jones was hospitalized yesterday for an upper respiratory infection. He stayed overnight for observation and is scheduled to be released today. Here are some more remembrances of Earl Scruggs. This radio show features guests Tony Trischka, Ron Stewart, and Peter Cooper. Here’s a piece from NPR’s Morning Edition, and here are posts from Chet Flippo, […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...