Sarah Jarosz Plays Tiny Desk Concert; CMAA President Quits Over “Americanization” of Golden Guitar Awards; Album Releases
Sarah Jarosz played an NPR Tiny Desk Concert. The Tony Rice Foundation is asking for donations; in addition to Rice’s longtime voice issues, the bluegrass legend has been dealing with arthritis which has left him unable to play his guitar. Interested what our Aussie readers think about this: John Williamson has stepped down as president […]
Miss. Country Music Trail Salutes Bobbie Gentry; Sarah Trahern Named CMA CEO; James McMurtry Signs with Complicated Game
I missed a couple albums in yesterday’s record release roundup: Buffalo Clover’s Test Your Love and Jesse Cobb’s Solitude. Bobbie Gentry’s marker on the Mississippi Country Music Trail will be unveiled tomorrow. (Like all of the Trail markers, Gentry’s has been written by Barry Mazor.) The CMA Board of Directors has named Sarah Trahern the […]
Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum to Offer Free Admission 2/23; Stream New Drew Holcomb, Caitlin Rose Records; New Album Releases
Holly Gleason wrote about Mindy McCready for NPR’s music blog. Ashley Monroe’s duet with Blake Shelton, “You Ain’t Dolly (And You Ain’t Porter)” premiered on USA Today‘s website. Barry Mazor wrote a feature on Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison for The Wall Street Journal. This week’s episode of A Prairie Home Companion celebrates “all things banjo” […]
Country Radio Returns to NYC; Willie Nelson, Jerry Douglas to Play New Orleans Jazz Fest; Album Releases
New York City has its first country radio station in 17 years: Cumulus launched “Nash 94.7” on Monday. An excerpt from a Wall Street Journal article on the new station: In addition to building a NASH-branded network of stations, Cumulus also plans to launch a NASH country lifestyle magazine, through Modern Luxury, the magazine company […]
2012 was a good year for both traditional and progressive bluegrass. Here are a few of our favorite releases from the past twelve months. What were yours? These albums barely missed our Top 20: Trampled By Turtles, Stars and Satellites; Keller Williams & The Travelin’ McCourys, Pick; Janie Fricke, Country Side of Bluegrass; MilkDrive, Waves; […]
Louisville’s been a popular song topic for many country artists, whether they use it as the title of an instrumental (Bill Monroe’s “Louisville Breakdown”), sing about the Kentucky Derby, or pay tribute to one of the city’s finest products (several songs mention a good ol’ Louisville Slugger). And let’s not forget that the grisly “Banks […]
CMT Music Awards Winners; Free Tift Merritt Download; Ernest Tubb Record Shops Celebrate 65th Anniversary
Thompson Square, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Scotty McCreery, and Lady Antebellum took home buckles at last night’s CMT Music Awards. Country California posted videos of the evening’s best performances by the Zac Brown Band, Pistol Annies, and a few others. Tift Merritt is offering a free download of an […]
Boxing is the sweet science, and, lucky for us, it’s the subject of some pretty sweet songs, too. Let’s check out a few of them. 5. Bill Evans and Megan Lynch – Song for Sonny Liston Liston, who had “a left like Henry’s hammer,” was one of the finest boxers of the 20th century. This […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.