It’s easy, with the perpetual slow-trickle arrival of new country songs, singles and stars, to become fixated on the brand new and of-the-moment—as some publications, writers and fans do. Yet some level of recognizable continuity has been a basic element of the music from its beginnings. In country music, themes and sounds and performers are […]
Barry Mazor wrote a feature on Mary Gauthier for The Wall Street Journal. Kelley Mickwee (The Trishas) will release a solo album, You Used to Live Here, on July 22. Listen to one of the tracks, “River Girl,” here. Take a sneak peek at Kacey Musgraves and Katy Perry’s Crossroads episode, which premieres on CMT […]
Willie Nelson Announces New Album; “All 4 the Hall” Raises $600K; CMA Music Festival Adds Free Shows
Willie Nelson will release Band of Brothers on June 17. The track listing includes nine new songs (including this one) and Willie’s versions of “Whenever You Come Around” and “The Git Go,” which will be a duet with Jamey Johnson. Last night’s “All 4 the Hall” benefit concert raised an estimated $600,000 for the Country […]
Radney Foster’s Next Record Due in May; Watch How to Write a Banjo Concerto Trailer; New Album Releases
A third person died from injuries sustained in last week’s SXSW tragedy. Radney Foster will release Everything I Should Have Said on his own Devil’s River label May 13. (via press release) Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison announced a bunch of tour dates; according to a post on Willis’ Facebook page, the duo is gearing […]
Eli Young Band Tops Country Albums Chart; Grey Fox Lineup Announced; Lindi Ortega Releases New Video
More details are emerging about Thursday’s fatal SXSW incident. If you’ve got a couple bucks to spare, the SXSW Cares Fund is accepting donations for those affected by the accident. Rhonda Vincent & The Rage were guests on Music City Roots the other night. Here’s their take on “Drivin’ Nails in My Coffin.” Teea Goans was […]
Four hours and 40 songs of music by country music’s biggest and brightest stars honored George Jones at Bridgestone Arena on Friday night. Saving Country Music live-blogged the event if you’d like to relive the evening, and Twang Nation has some videos if you weren’t lucky enough to be in the audience. Jerald Wayne Mills, 44, of […]
Tongue-in-cheek genius Peter Cooper of The Tennessean has declared himself “Commissioner of Country Music,” which gives him governing powers over the entire industry. Commissioner Cooper then calls for Lee Ann Womack to be returned to radio playlists and for party/truck songs to be banned. Jon Bream of the Minneapolis Star Tribune thinks Brad Paisley’s tour […]
Lee Ann Womack, Loretta Lynn Among Additions to George Jones Tribute; Taylor Swift Education Center to Open; Alan Jackson Releases New Video
Brad Paisley, Martina McBride, Big & Rich, Loretta Lynn, Lee Ann Womack, Craig Morgan, Thompson Square, Ronnie Milsap, Bill Anderson, and, uh, Megadeth have been added to the super-sized lineup of performers at what would have been George Jones’ final Nashville concert on November 22, which has now been named “Playin’ Possum: The Final No […]
Vote on Vanguard’s Record Store Day Releases; Alan Jackson Tops Bluegrass Charts; Travelin’ McCourys Announce Midwest Tour Dates
You can vote on the albums Vanguard Records will reissue for next year’s Record Store Day. Your options include releases by Doc Watson, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, Odetta, and many others. This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix includes The Devil Makes Three, Brian Wright, Elephant Revival, and many more. Check out this Kacey Musgraves/2Pac […]
The Academy of Country Music Awards were held last night. Here are some of the winners (you can find a detailed list of nominees and winners here): Video of the Year: Little Big Town – “Tornado” Vocal Event of the Year: Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church – “The Only Way I Know” […]
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY