Radney Foster’s Next Record Due in May; Watch How to Write a Banjo Concerto Trailer; New Album Releases
A third person died from injuries sustained in last week’s SXSW tragedy. Radney Foster will release Everything I Should Have Said on his own Devil’s River label May 13. (via press release) Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison announced a bunch of tour dates; according to a post on Willis’ Facebook page, the duo is gearing […]
Eli Young Band Tops Country Albums Chart; Grey Fox Lineup Announced; Lindi Ortega Releases New Video
More details are emerging about Thursday’s fatal SXSW incident. If you’ve got a couple bucks to spare, the SXSW Cares Fund is accepting donations for those affected by the accident. Rhonda Vincent & The Rage were guests on Music City Roots the other night. Here’s their take on “Drivin’ Nails in My Coffin.” Teea Goans was […]
Four hours and 40 songs of music by country music’s biggest and brightest stars honored George Jones at Bridgestone Arena on Friday night. Saving Country Music live-blogged the event if you’d like to relive the evening, and Twang Nation has some videos if you weren’t lucky enough to be in the audience. Jerald Wayne Mills, 44, of […]
Tongue-in-cheek genius Peter Cooper of The Tennessean has declared himself “Commissioner of Country Music,” which gives him governing powers over the entire industry. Commissioner Cooper then calls for Lee Ann Womack to be returned to radio playlists and for party/truck songs to be banned. Jon Bream of the Minneapolis Star Tribune thinks Brad Paisley’s tour […]
Lee Ann Womack, Loretta Lynn Among Additions to George Jones Tribute; Taylor Swift Education Center to Open; Alan Jackson Releases New Video
Brad Paisley, Martina McBride, Big & Rich, Loretta Lynn, Lee Ann Womack, Craig Morgan, Thompson Square, Ronnie Milsap, Bill Anderson, and, uh, Megadeth have been added to the super-sized lineup of performers at what would have been George Jones’ final Nashville concert on November 22, which has now been named “Playin’ Possum: The Final No […]
Vote on Vanguard’s Record Store Day Releases; Alan Jackson Tops Bluegrass Charts; Travelin’ McCourys Announce Midwest Tour Dates
You can vote on the albums Vanguard Records will reissue for next year’s Record Store Day. Your options include releases by Doc Watson, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, Odetta, and many others. This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix includes The Devil Makes Three, Brian Wright, Elephant Revival, and many more. Check out this Kacey Musgraves/2Pac […]
The Academy of Country Music Awards were held last night. Here are some of the winners (you can find a detailed list of nominees and winners here): Video of the Year: Little Big Town – “Tornado” Vocal Event of the Year: Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church – “The Only Way I Know” […]
Matraca Berg’s new album, Love’s Truck Stop, is getting good reviews across the pond. The second annual Red River Songwriters Festival will be held January 24-26 in Red River, New Mexico. Artists scheduled to perform include Ray Wylie Hubbard, Walt Wilkins, Drew Kennedy, and more. Listen to new Junior Brown song, “Hang Up and Drive.” […]
With her 2010 debut, The Way I Remember It, Teea Goans quickly established herself as heir to country music royalty. On that album of covers of classic country songs, Goans demonstrated a canny ability to select the tunes that showed off her incredible vocal range, recalling Patty Loveless, Loretta Lynn, and Suzy Boggus, among others. […]
Andy Griffith passed away at the age of 86. Here he is picking a few on (with a couple impressive backing bands) The Andy Griffith Show. WAMU’s Bluegrass Country is remembering Tom “Cat” Reeder at noon Eastern today – the program will be rebroadcast at 9 p.m. on WAMU 88.5 (folks outside of the DC area can listen here.) […]
- Joe Mekler: Not only is this a fun tune with an unusual form but it is politically appropriate for the present times!
- Paul W Dennis: Moot Davis deserves much wider success than he's had thus far. I have a couple of his albums and they …
- Ron Estepp: Great toe tapper, dance song and straight lyrics. I need more!
- Arlene: Another loss. Here's one of my favorite Jesse Winchester performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKGWpqnS8E
- bob: I like that Wendy Colonna song. I'll have to check out more of her music. I have the 2 Delbert & …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Holy moly, that Peter Cooper article on Ray Price is a doozy. I haven't yet had a chance to listen …
- Juli Thanki: Update from The Commercial Appeal: One of music’s sweetest voices and most incisive songwriters, Jesse Winchester, has died. The 69 …
- Barry Mazor: A very good case could be made that the Newport "Folk" festival is now an Americana festival--the two not …
- TexasVet: Here's Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris & Carrie Underwood singing "Blue Bayou" Last night at the Rock and Roll Hall of …
- Jeff Miller: That Peter Cooper double shot is powerful!