Did Patty Griffin and Robert Plant marry? Sunny Sweeney definitely got married to her longtime boyfriend in Vegas last Friday. Another love connection: Vince Gill and Miss Piggy. Here’s this week’s edition of Quotable Country. Dierks Bentley and Will Hoge will play the Ryman on February 2, just five days before Bentley’s album, Home, drops. […]
Johnnie Wright, of Johnnie and Jack, passed away at the age of 97. He had been married to Kitty Wells since 1937. Paul Kirby of the Cactus Brothers passed away on Sunday. He was 48. Stream the upcoming Merle Haggard record Working in Tennessee (out October 4). Stream Ryan Adams’ Ashes & Fire at NPR. […]
The Little Willies are back, with a second album due out in January that will feature covers of “Lovesick Blues,” “For the Good Times” (also the title track), “Jolene,” and more. At 7pm Central tonight, NashvilleSymphony.org is streaming Bela Fleck’s “Concerto for Banjo and Orchestra.” The 17th Annual ICM Faith, Family & Country Awards, held […]
Toby Keith is Country Music’s Highest Paid Entertainer; Stream Kenny Vaughan and Wilco Albums; Sneak Peek of New Bearfoot Record
The Roys created a theme song for RFD-TV program Campfire Café; they’ll also appear on the first episode of the new season (airing September 26). Stream Kenny Vaughan’s excellent new album, V, over at American Songwriter. Or stream the upcoming Wilco album at NPR. Toby Keith, Taylor Swift, and Brad Paisley are country music’s top […]
Wilma Lee Cooper, a member of the Grand Ole Opry for 50+ years, passed away at the age of 90 late last week. Elizabeth Cook probably said it best: “Sad to know of the passing of Wilma Lee Cooper, a personal hero and original punk rockin honky tonk girl.” Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper had […]
Chris Young Goes Gold; Bela Fleck to Debut Concerto for Banjo and Orchestra; Gillian Welch Announces European Tour
Tad Dickens of The Roanoke Times penned a nice feature on Justin Townes Earle, who talks about his music and his fashion influences. Gretchen Peters began a series of blog entries in which she discusses her upcoming album, Hello Cruel World, track by track. The first post is about “Saint Francis,” co-written with Tom Russell. […]
At least five people were killed and over 40 were injured—some critically—when the entire concert rigging blew over in a storm during the Sugarland concert at the Indiana State Fair on Saturday night. Sara Bareilles had just finished her opening number and Sugarland had yet to take the stage. Witnesses tell of a wall of […]
Steve Martin’s Leaked Tour Rider; Dale Watson, Trace Adkins, Little Big Town, & Sugarland Schedule New Albums
A few details from Steve Martin‘s leaked tour rider: Wardrobe: Nothing constricting or scratchy, except for Steve’s thong. Venue must have Bela Fleck on speed dial, in case Steve’s feeling lazy. Golf cart(s) must be available to transport Steve and the Steep Canyon Rangers from dressing room area to the stage. If distance is less […]
Little Jimmy Dickens Tops List of Opry Appearances; One Year of Fake News; Notable Music Deaths; Cash v. Haggard
Out of the 199 Opry shows performed this year Little Jimmy Dickens had the most appearances with 145, and even then he missed a few due to illnesses. Also, among the 31 Opry members, almost half made nine or less appearances. (via That Nashville Sound) [...] Clint Black last appeared in 2007 with 2 appearances, […]
Robert Earl Keen will release The Rose Hotel, his Lost Highway debut and first album since 2005, on Sept. 29. Buddy Jewell is the first artist signed to the new label ALL Entertainment, and should have a new single next month. NPR has an interview with Loudon Wainwright III and song selections from his newest […]
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …