“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose/By any other name would smell as sweet.” Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene ii, lines 47-48 That Shakespeare fella might have been on to something. They may have a new band name, but West Coast workhorses Mark Stuart and the Bastard Sons, formerly The Bastard […]
Brad from Galleywinter on the homogenization of the Texas music scene: When it came back into flavor in the late 90’s, it had an edge and was different. Then, as has been pointed out so many times here and elsewhere, the scene got flooded with no-talent hacks singing bad beer-soaked GCDC poetry. People that can’t […]
Steve Martin is headed to the Ryman Auditorium on Oct. 11. He’ll be performing with The Steep Canyon Rangers in An Evening of Bluegrass & Banjo. Tickets go on sale next Friday (July 31). Two Tons of Steel (MySpace) will release their new album, Not That Lucky, on August 18. (via press release) John Dawson, […]
Rumors of an affair between LeAnn Rimes and her Lifetime movie co-star Eddie Cibrian continue to burn, and now Us Weekly reports that Cibrian’s wife, Brandi Glanville, has left him. “LeAnn is a stalker,” Glanville told Us last month. “She refuses to leave us alone. It is shameful and scary. People are going to say […]
Dierks Bentley believes Feel that Fire is CMA album of the year quality and says he’d be disappointed if it wasn’t at least a nominee. However, The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica is less than enamored with Bentley’s new album: Even the company of finer talents doesn’t stir him up. He wrote “Pray” with the […]
Carrie Underwood‘s spectacular powerhouse pipes and dazzling stage presence were on full display Friday night in Austin, TX at the Frank Erwin Center. Maybe it had something to do with the few dozen Tony Romos in the Halloween night audience. Saturday night in Houston’s Reliant Stadium was no different, but the Houston Chronicle‘s Joey Guerra […]
Burleson Heights Unplugged at Ventana del Soul Friday’s venue hopping kicked off just after lunch at Cafe Ventana, a little cafe/coffee shop tucked into the Ventana del Soul Cultural Center. It’s located away from the bustling activities of SXSW in downtown Austin, and as it turned out, just about everyone in attendance was either an […]
Inspired by the Johnny Cash song of the same name, Austin’s one-of-a-kind Mean Eyed Cat bar is facing a dilemma as it currently operates. The property that the bar occupies is zoned as a retail space and thus is required to earn 51 percent of its revenue from food sales–an almost unattainable goal for a […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...